SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beverlyfladeziner

help !!concrete tile vs. shingle roofs in sw florida

BeverlyFLADeziner
17 years ago

My neighbors and I need to replace our concrete, barrel tile roofs after less than 20 years of service in southwest Florida. Failures with underlayments and flashings have caused numerous leaks in our units.

After countless meetings about this problem and understandable frustration with the situation, some of the residents have requested that the tile roofs simply be removed and replaced with fiberglass/asphalt shingles. The lower cost of the shingles, and a hope of fewer future problems, is driving this solution I believe. I'm sure the shingles are cheaper, but if they don't last as long as tile (50 year warranty), and if the shingles increase the amount of air conditioning needed in each unit, are they really a savings in the long run?

I haven't got bags of money to blow on solutions that are simply pretty, so saving money is of interest to me, and we could be talking about $12grand for shingles vs.$18-20 grand for tiles, but I'm really concerned that changing a complete community from barrel tile to shingles will devalue our properties, and that shingles in this climate will not last the 30-40 yr. warranty offered by the manufacturers.

I'm doing all I can to assemble info & pricing from local installers, but these forums have helped me before, and I'm hoping that some of you who have had personal experience with concrete tiles and shingles in tropical climates can impart your experience and wisdom. In addition, does anyone have a clue how I can answer the question about devaluing the property? Any property apprasiers out there who can point to some solid numbers instead of simply opinions? Thanks

Comments (18)