SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

Granite help? Where's the fraud? (Is this fraud)

igloochic
16 years ago

I've posted my issues with my granite slabs recently, but today we took another turn for the worse, and I'm wondering where the fraud is...or if there is any here in this transaction so I can figure out how to proceed.

First, a year and a half ago I ordered granite and marble from a fabricator. They had me go to a yard (another company) and pick out my slabs. I did so, they were marked as mine, and I paid in full.

I also ordered several other tiles from them, and they were going to do install.

The delivered a lot of the tile, and did cutting work for me as well. I have paid for this. In fact they called me and said they couldn't meet payroll so I paid before it was done just to help them out.

They avoided my calls for months, and when we got back from our hospitalization I went to see them, and was to have the items delivered that were still outstanding, including some very expensive ceramic tile from Italy that they were going to cut and polish for me (they've lost half of that).

They told me today, when I insisted on the immediate delivery of my stone, that when I paid oh so long ago, they went out to the granite yard and they had sold my slabs so they didn't pick anything up. Mind you, they didn't share this with me until last week. So they have kept my money for over a year and not shared this with me.

During the construction on the home we have had delays (who dosen't) but I've kept in touch with all of my suppliers, and offered to pay any storage fees. They have all said "don't worry about it" including this one. Of course they weren't worried because they didn't ever have it I guess :) They did however tell me on numerous occasions that the slabs were in their yard, and fine. They claim this isn't so today. They won't refund my money until they can do their accounting which may take weeks...they want to make sure I paid for everything. (BS)

Anyhoo, shouldn't they have not taken my money in the first place for those slabs? And then let me choose at that time. See today...that granite is a totally differnt stone. It is going to cost me thousands more to find something that will work, at today's cost. I have to continue with that color and design scheme, because I spent almost $4,000 having hand made back splash tiles made to match the granite. In addition, we've completed the shower and pony wall in the travertine. Now they don't have my ten boxes to complete the floor and I have to use something else that isn't a great match, but it's all that's available...The travertine, they say, was accidently delivered to someone else. Again I wasn't notified of the accident, and the tile wasn't immediately ordered to replace it either. I do have email communications to back this up.

Is it fraud to take my money and not have the stone? And then to sell the travertine?

Comments (18)