SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

contractor fee question

rockybird
13 years ago

I have just bought a large house (3500 sq. feet). I had a disagreement with the first contractor (he brought in a friend without telling me who proceeded to bill me) and I have moved on to a new contractor. It is a good thing, as the first ctr. did not file city permits and the city is now aware of us and requesting permits.

I found a new contractor who wants 12% of the whole budget as payment. In addition, he is a licensed plumber and carpenter and can do some work himself (I guess I pay 12% on top of his plumbing fees?). The first ctr. and I already lined up all the subs and he left me meticulous details on who they are. The extent of the remodel is drywall work, paint interior exterior, kitchen cabs, rewiring of light switches, new appliances, install new bath vanities/toilets (x3), new concrete flooring. Everything is now demo-ed out and only the walls are left.

This guy only has to co-ordinate the subctrs. He will also have to get the permits arranged. I dont really have an issue with his fees, but wonder if this sounds right to you all? This means I pay an extra 12% on EVERYTHING - cabinets, etc. What do you all think? Is this standard? Thanks!

Comments (2)