SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
don_chuwish

Home Depot Home Services Refacing

don_chuwish
16 years ago

Day 1:

5 minutes into it and I'm already angry.

The installer, one guy, showed up in a van with all the stuff tossed in the back. It really looked tossed.

He came in to look over the kitchen and talk about things. So far I like the guy if not his van. He asks to see the drawers I have, because he thinks they might be better than what he's got in the van. Huh? We were sold on "much better drawers and sliders" among other things. So I'm already boiling.

After a talk with his supervisor on the phone and a look at the actual drawers I'm feeling a little better, but mostly have to admit that I got "sold".

We're adding a pantry to one side of our fridge. See the picture:

{{!gwi}}

When the salesman was here we explained how the fridge was just slightly wider than the cabinet above it. Then when the measure tech came out we explained it again and he verified the need for a small spacer. It just needs an extra 1/4" or so. I pointed this out again to the installer at the start today. So of course, after he installs the pantry there's no spacer. Again I explain the situation and he's already giving me 'not my problem' attitude. Now I don't like the guy, his work or his van. But after carefully going over it again, he takes it apart to fix it. Looking at it now, he added a 1/4" sheet of hardboard and a 1/4" sheet of the maple plywood to dress it up. But they run top to bottom so there's NO GAIN to the internal dimensions:

{{!gwi}}

So now I have to have that fight with him tomorrow.

Here's the problem with the HD setup. A sales rep comes out and sells. He's a salesman. That's it. He disappears. Then a measure tech comes and notes the detailed dimensions of everything and double checks the various aspects of the order. He disappears. Then the poor installer comes out with nothing but a truck full of factory made stuff and a drawing. If there are any issues he's got three layers of blame to fall back on. To this guys credit, he keeps adding little extras to make me happy, molding here, trim there, extra faces covered that weren't in the plan. So he's trying, but it's a tough battle!

On a positive note, looking at the doors and drawer fronts, we LOVE the look.

We'll see how day 2 goes.

- Don

Comments (16)