SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

Camp Cheerio

grammyp
13 years ago

We are here! We all arrived safely, Jennifer, Quiltpartner, Buteau3rd, Sandlapper Rose, Carol, Gininmn, Toolgranny, Fran, Cathrine, Teresa, and Grammyp are all at camp.

We have enjoyed our first dinner and our first sunset.

And we have had our first show and tell, and get to know each other party.

We have started working on our projects and tomorrow we will really get things rolling. Check back for more pictures.

beverly

Comments (54)

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

No need to tell you to enjoy----you already are. TFS. Jayne

• polardream
    13 years ago

OHHHH.... what fun! I wish you all happy quilting and making memories ... and wish I was there!

Sue

• Related Discussions

Sloan family visits Camp Cheerio

Q

Comments (5)
    Wonderful that you all were there the same time and could make the presentation. Great for the family to finally meet "the quilters" Kristene
    ...See More

Camp Cheerio, we are here!

Q

Comments (13)
    Oh my..... It is beautiful there! Great quilts, ladies! I so want to go to one of these some day.... I am thinking about attempting a 'stained glass' quilt. Several years ago, I drew up & cross stitched nine different flowers that were growing in my gardens for a lap quilt. I think I will do the same for this one. Tutorials on that and the fabric boxes would be wonderful! With all I have to finish this weekend, they will just have to go to my 'want to do' list. :) Hope everyone has a great time and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us! Marie PS Those mice snack's are adorable!
    ...See More

Questions about Camp Cheerio retreat

Q

Comments (12)
    It's never too early to plan for next year! I will talk with them this week to pay them for this year, and then get on their calendar for next year. As soon as I confirm that, I will post the dates on the forum...usually the Columbus Day weekend. There's no official check-in like at a hotel. We can/do arrive anytime after lunch on Thursday. This year I was there by noon & I really liked that. We leave anytime Sunday that we want...usually we're all gone by noon, but could really stay later if we wanted.
    ...See More

Camp Cheerio dinner....

Q

Comments (7)
    The food is awesome, delicious and plentiful....did a double worked out at the gym today....will need to do the same again and again and again...:-) V.
    ...See More
  • petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Looks like a good time! Have fun, ladies!

• wendyfaye
    13 years ago

Sad and jealous at the same time, but i know you guys will have a blast. Wish I was there.

Faye

• grammyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Friday at Camp Cheerio. We have had lots of fun, and gotten lots of sewing done.

Carol got to show and tell about some of her quilts.

There was a beautiful sunset from the new chapel.

And the quilt to be donated to the camp is almost finished.

We have had some wonderful meals, roasted pork loin with salad, roasted vegetables homemade bread and strawberry short cake for dinner. We'll post more tomorrow.

beverly

• blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

Wow! how wonderful that you are letting us share in your fun. Thank you.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is Saturday already. We are still having a great time. We played LRC (left, right, center) for HSTs. Carol won the pot.

We had some more show and tell. This is Cindy's turn.

Then we had our Camp Cheerio quilt show.

Here is Sharon's quilt for her husband. She couldn't make it this year, but she is here in spirit.

And here we are at the quilt show. The quilt in the background is one my great-grand mother made and we found in her attic.

Stay tuned, more later.

beverly

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Great pics, Beverly! I'm back home now and it is sooooo hot here compared to the cool breezes we had at Camp. I hope Jeanne and Carol made it through Charlotte all right and avoided the Panther's game traffic. Let's hope that Katherine made it home o.k. by the different route that Jennifer shared with her and I hope Jen got some air in those tires on her rental. And I wish safe travel to all the quilters and husbands that made it to the retreat at Camp Cheerio!

We had so much fun this weekend and the weather was perfect! The quilt we made for the camp was the best one yet! We watched the ceremonial events for the Indian Guides and their cute Braves and Princesses last night. We enjoyed this group of dads and kids who were at camp the same weekend of the 2009 retreat.

The fall leaves were just beginning to turn this weekend and the sky was a clear Carolina blue. In the dining hall our table signs were Running with Scissors, So Sew Me, and Dances with Wools - ha! All the Guides tables had Indian names, so our tables had to have names too. Our Left-Right-Center games were a riot - with some betting with Hershey's miniatures on the side. This year we played with Half Square Triangle 4-inch blocks. Carol won the first game and Ginn won the second game.

Yep.....we had a great time at our forum retreat this year! Looking forward to next year already!

Teresa

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful weekend! So glad to have gotten to know some of you better and to have such special new friends. Carol and I did just fine getting home. No tie up with the traffic going our way; however, there was a grass/woods fire along the interstate that really tied up the traffic going in the opposite direction. We felt bad for those folks, but also were glad it wasn't us sitting in the traffic jam!
    Talk to everyone soon.
    Jeanne

• justamomofsix
    13 years ago

I made it home just fine with the directions I got from Jennifer. It was about 40 miles less than the drive there. I had a WONDERFUL time at the retreat! I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and getting to know everyone. I am looking forward to doing it again next year.

Thank you Jennifer for all your work putting it together and to Beverly for putting together that great bookshelf quilt. It turned out so cute! And thank you to everyone for making me feel so welcome. You are all a great bunch of people (husbands included!)!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilts and fun time with us. That's really cool!

Best to you,
    Sandra aka quiltingfox

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Glad to hear you made it home safely, Katherine (justamomofsix)!

Here is a link to my PictureTrail album of the retreat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camp Cheerio Retreat 2010

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Good to know that everyone got home OK! Jim & I made it home OK also - we knew where home was, so did not go to the 'wrong' place! LOL We both had SO-OO much fun - & plan to return next year. It was great putting faces w/names that I've seen here on the forum for nearly 2 yrs now! Time sure flies ---- & it REALLY did at camp!! I just had a great time!! My usual Monday Sew w/former employees is tomorrow & I'm taking pics to show off - of course! I'm so pumped from the weekend that I'd really like to stay up & sew all night, or at the least find my sewing room. It looks like a hurricane hit it --- but actually it was me just trying to get it all packed for camp:) Hope y'all enjoy the pics -- & want to join in next year!!

• jennifer_in_va
    13 years ago

I made it home at 6pm, quickly unpacked the car so we could return it to Hertz. Then the family went out to dinner so I didn't have to cooK!!!

Katherine, I'm so glad the directions worked out for you. At every turn I was concerned we hadn't written that one down, and that you'd get lost!

I had no traffic, and saw that the leaves had started changing more colors just since being at camp.

I'm soooo happy that everyone had fun!! It was indeed a beautiful weekend, with great fun & new friends!!

Let me go sleep some so I can start getting ready for next year!!!

• grammyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We got home about 30 minutes ago. Gonna wait and unload the car tomorrow. Glad to see almost everyone has made it. I'll post some more pics tomorrow, thanks for your link Teresa. What a great trip.

beverly

• grammyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are a few more pics from camp.

The thank-you basket of flowers made from FQs for Jennifer for making all the arrangements.

Catherine's show and tell

September lotto blocks

Presenting the camp quilt

Camp quilt on display

Last sunset from the dining hall deck

Arranging the blocks during the last LRC game

Ginn won the last LRC game with a block Marge had held on to till the very end.

Some of the mini quilt block pins Jennifer made for all of us.

Jennifer's tessellated cat quilt top she did in 1 1/2 days.

I'm already looking forward to next year.

beverly

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I was back in San Francisco by 10PM and all went as scheduled. Thanks, girls, for such a wonderful time. It was worth the travel and I had such a good time. It will be hard to get back to solitary quilting again. You are all my quilting heroes.

• lola99
    13 years ago

I'm so glad you all had such a great time and safe travels. Your quilt show was AMAZING! What a fantastic selection of quilts. Thanks for sharing all the pictures.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Awesome quilts ladies! Love the wall hanging donated to the camp. Who made the lovely FQ basket of flowers? Have never seen one until now.

Jennifer, your mini blocks are so cute and precise. I'm sure the girls will treasure them.

Between Teresa's link and the gals I already knew, I think I have everyone figured out. Nice to meet you! @:)

SharonG/FL-IN

• grammyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, I should have put names with the group picture.

Standing:
    Marge (buteau3rd), Linda (toolgranny), Carol, Teresa (teresa_nc), Jeanne (sandlapper rose), Catherine (justamomofsix).

Seated:
    Beverly (grammyp), Jennifer (jennifer_in_va), Cindy (quiltpartner), Fran (fran1523), and Ginny (ginnimn).

Sharon, everyone sent me FQs and I put the basket together. I was afraid the FQs would be too big, but it came out well.

beverly

• itsmesuzq
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh! It looks like you all had such a great time! The pictures are fabulous and the quilting that you got done was amazing! It was almost like being there! Thank you so much ladies for sharing your time away with all of us. I really enjoyed it.

Oh, I didn't see the "treat table" or the "big girls" drink this year. I remember last year seeing a couple of wine bottles (and lots of yummy treats) sitting on a table in the background. LOL

Susan

• jennifer_in_va
    13 years ago

Susan,

There was definitely a 'treat' table!!! Waaaaay too much stuff! We left a huge offering for the counselors when we left.

And the 'nite aides' aka 'big girl drinks' were declined this year to support the camp's rules better. We would hate to ruin such a great retreat location by doing something silly like breaking that kind of rule. We had lots of fun anyway!!

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Susan,

Oh, they were there --- treat table & big girls' drink! Just didn't want to flaunt ALL the fun! lol Actually, the treat table was so loaded it's a wonder it didn't collapse! I think a few of the guys were a little surprised by the amount of goodies we had!

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Yes, that treat table will surely lure the men back again. They were quite impressed.

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

toolgranny, you are so right...Rip had a wonderful time, and is still enjoying the treats.........great for the sugar to keep him alert on our drive back to Stone Mountain
    campground. After an overnight stay to refresh, we were were on the road early to continue our trip to FL. We are now in GA.,parked by a lake, and will finish our trip tomorrow.
    There are no words to tell you how much this retreat meant to me. It was something I have wanted to do for a long time, so when the opportunity came up I knew it was now or maybe never.
    We, Rip and I, both enjoyed every moment of it. The quality of the quilts amazed me. Very inspirational.
    Thank you Cindy for redirecting me on my scrappy "Bag O'
    Rags" quilt....I can't wait to make that one.
    I have a whole new image of the Forum ...real,caring people.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so glad Rip enjoyed the oatmeal cookies. They are my favorites, too. You are right about the inspiration, too. We have some really great quilters on the board. I am going to have the grands separate my bag of strips by color this weekend while they are here. Good job for them. Have a safe trip to FL.

beverly

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

I have so enjoyed reading about your wonderful time. Thank you for you generous sharing of your fun time together. Even though I wasn't able to be there I felt like a part of it. Seeing all the lovely quilts and shots of your online friends warms my heart. TFS. Jayne

• tulipserenity
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone. Yes, I registered for garden web. I want you all to know how wonderful it was to be with you. I learned so much and appreciated the uninterrupted time to work on my quilt. I enjoyed the games and fellowship so much. I am feeling fine, but plan to check with the doctor about my episode. I know it was caused by my meds. Thanks for being so caring. I love all the pictures, Beverly. They are great.

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Welcome to the Quilting Forum, Carol! That GardenWeb name is perfect for you. You will enjoy reading about our various quilting activities and adventures.
    So glad to hear you are feeling fine.
    Jeanne

• grammyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome Carol. I'm glad you are feeling better. Please let us know what the doctor tells you.

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the updates and pictures from Camp Cheerio. It looks like the weather was wonderful and the company even better. Your Quilt to the camp is perfect! Do you make a quilt for them every year? Do they keep it or Raffle it? I hope they are able to keep it and hang in a special place, but if it is part of a fundraiser, that is okay too!
    Everyone looks so happy in the group photo~like longtime friends!

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

And we feel like longtime friends too! It is always the case w/quilters---we just naturally connect:) Everyone at camp felt like my next door neighbor --- actually I wish they COULD all be my next door neighbor! How neat would that be??!!
    Carol, welcome! Glad to have you on board - & yes, please let us know what the Dr says. I certainly hope it was the meds & nothing more serious. You had us worried, but poor Jeanne worried silly. You know, when I saw your forum name I immediately called to mind your quilt, the red & black one. What a beauty!!

• grammyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is amazing how close you feel to everyone at camp. Even the hubbies got along well and had more in common than we thought they would.

The first year we didn't make a quilt for the camp, but we have every other year.

For the first one Jennifer made a block for the center and we all brought a block that represented our state. It is hanging in the counselor's cabin.

For the second, Jennifer made a teapot and we all brought cups to put around it. It hangs in the rest area for the kitchen staff (they so deserve a quilt!).

For this one, we all brought blocks of things that could sit on a shelf. It is to go to the director at the main office.

This years is my favorite and I think I will make me a book case quilt. There is one more place we can hang one, in our work area over the fireplace. Teresa is going to see if they would like a donation quilt to raffle each year, so we may change our focus. They are a lot of fun to do.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    13 years ago

Welcome, Carol!! Glad you've joined us here as well!! It's nice to have everyone together!

We always seem to have a great time, no matter what we accomplish, what the weather is like, and who we have there. It's a great time to commune with quilters!

In the 1st quilt camp picture you'll notice little Amanda in my arms. In case you're interested, there'll be another one about that same size/age at the 2011 retreat!! So if you should need the motivation of a baby 'fix' in order to come, there it is!!

• justamomofsix
    13 years ago

Hello everyone,

I think i am having retreat withdrawals... :) I can hardly wait until next year. Do we have a tentative date yet?

I don't know if anyone remembers the 2 blocks i worked on at the retreat - the ones with jewel tones and black. They were for our block of the month. Would you believe I actually won a set of the blocks? I even got one of mine back! It was very exciting; I don't usually win things.

I am going to attempt to post some more pictures from the retreat. I hope I can figure it out. I hope everyone is doing well.

Katherine

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Woo Hoo for you! We all loved that block design - so glad you won a set.

Yes, retreat withdrawal is part of the package, unfortunately. We can get used to hours of uninterrupted sewing, no demands on our time, no meals to fix or dogs to walk, no children to chauffeur around, etc. Just pleasant sewing with our forum friends and the occasional look out the window at the lovely scenery.......ahhhhhh.....it's the good life. And then....we have to go home.....

I'm so glad you enjoyed the retreat, Katherine!

Teresa

• grammyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Congrats on winning the blocks Katherine. I liked the block and it will make a great quilt.

I'm still having withdrawal, too. I sent Jennifer a list of weeks DH will be of next year. Hopefully she can schedule it on his weekend off and he can come again. He really enjoys the relaxation, too. He said he ate way too much, but it was so good, who wouldn't.

Teresa, have you made the Portuguese Corn Bread yet? I may try it this weekend.

beverly

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Did someone find the recipe for Portuguese Corn Beard? If so please share the recipe or the link to it. That was so good!
    Jeanne

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Here is a link that Tim found for Beverly - lol! I told her that our bread at Cheerio was definitely on the sweetish side and needed some sugar. I plan to start with 1/4 cup for this recipe.

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Broa - Portuguese Cornbread

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

Thanks to all for sharing your experience and pictures with us. I really loved the "bookshelf quilt"!
    Reading about your retreat makes me even more excited about my retreat next week. Hoping I have as much fun as you did.
    Again, thanks for sharing.
    Murphy

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Thanks! Tim for the bread recipe! - I'm baking some today. LOVED that bread:) Teresa, I'm going to try it first as printed, the cornmeal itself may make it sweet enough, but I'll add sugar probably 1T at a time if it doesn't. Would 1/4 c change the consistency too much? It's been awhile since I've made anything other than herb breads.

Cindy

• wendyfaye
    13 years ago

Jennifer... I had guessed that was your 'secret', congrats. Hopefully next year... I'M THERE!!

Great pictures and it looks like I missed a very good time. Thanks for sharing.

Faye

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Beverly and Teresa thanks for taking the pics and posting for us to enjoy. I am another that wanted to go so bad and I am hoping for next year.
    My fav pic was the one of Linda with the tag behind her that said "Fran" LOL!!!
    Rosa

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Rosa, I'm surprised you noticed. I rented part of Fran's space for my design wall. She was very patient with me and didn't charge much.

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I searched and found a Portuguese Corn Bread that could be make in a bread machine. Trying it this evening. Definitely need to adjust the recipe though - it was way too dry to begin with. So far I have added an egg, some milk, and some honey. We'll see what I get. If it is good, I'll be back with the recipe --- guessing on how much of each extra ingredients I added. LOL
    Jeanne

• grammyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would love to have the recipe for the bread machine. Where did you find it?

beverly

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I'm sharing what I e-mailed to Beverly with the rest who may be interested. If someone finds the perfect blend, let me know! The recipe that I found is in RecipeLand.com. It is under the title Portuguese Corn Bread.

When I followed the recipe at this site, the dough seemed way too thick for my machine so when I heard how the machine was struggling to knead the dough, I added an egg, a little milk (maybe 3 Tablespoons) and a good squirt of honey to what was listed. The consistency turned out fine, but I think what we had at camp was a little sweeter. Next time I try it I am going to add more sugar (or more honey and sugar) and possibly decrease the amount of cornmeal a bit and increase the amount of bread flour a little. To me this recipe seemed to taste a bit more strongly of the cornmeal. It seemed like a camp there was the yellow coloring, but not such an obvious flavor of cornmeal. Anyway, I think anyone would enjoy it even the way mine turned out... just trying to get it to replicate the one at camp a bit better. Oh, I set my bread machine for the small loaf and regular setting. Not sure that will be the same for yours.

Also, my bread machine does not make a loaf of bread in one hour like the instructions read. It takes well over 2 hours in my machine. I guess you just need to adapt certain things to your own bread maker.

If I hit on the perfect combination, I will let you know and everyone else do the same for me!

Jeanne

• tulipserenity
    13 years ago

Hi everyone from Camp Cheerio, 2010. Also those who have been there before. I am fine. It was the meds and blood pressure near normal. No more worrying. I decided to have my bluework quilt quilted by a professional. That will save me time and I am excited about it.

Hope everyone is fine. What a wonderful adventure!! Thanks again to everyone and especially Jeanne, who invited me.

• justamomofsix
    13 years ago

Carol,

I am so glad to hear that you are doing fine! I was worried about you!

You will have to post a picture of your quilt after it is quilted. I know your sister is going to love it! If she doesn't, i would be happy to take it off your hands... Ha! It really did turn out pretty.

I hope everyone is doing well. I am looking forward to next year. I don't think it will come too soon for me. I need to destress again. My husband brought home a 12 week old puppy last weekend (now we have 4 dogs) and my oldest daughter informed me she has found the "one" and they want to get married.... aaaaggghhh!

Katherine

• grammyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the update Carol, glad you are doing well.

Katherine, life is an adventure. Sort of like Lewis and Clark's. You never know where you are going, but you are pretty sure there will be some bumps along the way. Take a deep breath. It is only 11 months and 2 weeks till the next retreat.

beverly