SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

Rene's Postcard Tutorial

toolgranny
16 years ago

Well, Rene has created her first tutorial - making quilted postcards. I think she deserves a big hand. I'll help her post it.

Linda

POSTCARD TUTORIAL

STEP 1 Collect supplies

Fabrics for front and back.

Fusable interfacing, or maybe a scrap of fusable batting, or Timtex. Some form of fusible web, like Fast 2 Fuse, Wonder-Under.

Scraps and threads, ribbons, anything you are going to use for embellishment.

Cut the fabrics and web/interfacing. The card should measure 4X6. This is the correct size of postcards, (the post office says the project should be no thicker then 1/8 inch with all layers). After cutting, I fuse my top to the interfacing, and the fusible web to the back. You can work with a much larger piece and cut one or more from that piece when all stitched together and embellished.

The fun of this is that you can do anything with the fusing. I save all scraps that have fusable web on the back, and leftovers from other projects. You could use fusable scrap pieces for the top surface. This way you would not use a solid piece. It is all up to you, itÂs your design.

At this point I feel the card to see if it has a sturdy feel, if you feel unsure add another layer of interfacing.

STEP 2 Stitching it down

When fused you can add layers of additional materials such as ribbon and lace. Choose the threads you will use, thread your machine, and decide the stitches you want to use. Start sewing, making wavy lines, squiggles, and zigzags quilting the design to the backing to make it all firmly attached. Build a design with the thread colors too. These pieces are fused and the ribbon is being sewn down, the cheesecloth has been dyed and glued down with Liquid Stitch. The cards were trimmed to 4" x 6".

STEP 3 Add as much or as little embellishments.

When you feel you have the stitched look you want, trim out a card 4 x 6 and you can add beads, embroidery. sequins, etc. Press your backing to the sandwich. Trim any final threads or fabric that stick out too much.

STEP 4 Now you are going to sew the little quilt together.

Choose a stitch that will hold the things together, a zigzag, any stitch that will embellish the sides as this is the binding.

Here is the postcard finished, ready to mail to GD, in an envelope because of the fuzzy borders and sequins. Last Christmas I did cards. And if you donÂt like the latest card, well cut it up into inchies, I slip them in envelopes when I pay my bills. Gives a smile to the person who has to open the mail.

Any questions you have or ideas you want to share, I will gladly help.

Rene

Comments (3)