SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kurtd_gw

Sizing replacement furnace and AC (and seer)

kurtd
17 years ago

I have received four quotes for a new furnace and ac units. They vary is size requirement from 3 ton to 5 ton ac and from 100,000 btu to 120,000 btu furnace. My house is 2680 sqft two story colonial. Only one guy actually performed a schedule j load requirement analysis and he came up with the smaller units of 3 ton ac and 100k furnace. It is strange because i have a 3.5 ton 10 seer american standard and it can not keep up on hot days now.

The other guys swagged it based on my sqft which at the time i thought was 2950sqft base on my survey, however schedule j measurement only came up with 2680, which he tells me is common for it to be less then survey.

The guy that performed survey is trying to sell me the Trane XL19i variable speed AC unit which is 19.5 seer. I live in Michigan and I dont think the return on investement is there due to climate requirements. He was talking up the 24 gallons of water removel in 24 hours vs traditional unit only removing 6 gallons. This baby is very expensive; combined package price installed for Trane XV90 & XL19i is $12,000.

The actual load requirements he calculated was 31,000 cooling requirment and 94,000 heating requirement. Can anyone help me ask the right questions about sizing the units and what seer rating to insist upon for michigan climate?

I am definately going to go with a new variable speed furnace to remove hot/cold spots in the house (ie Carrier Infinity 96).

Comments (2)