SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanwrites_gw

replacing doorknobs - color questions/picture request

susanwrites
13 years ago

So the stair guy was just here giving us an estimate on putting in the railing and banister that should have been in the house when we bought it but wasn't. When he asked me what color hardware and looked at all the bright brass doorknobs, he said brass and I said NO.

I realized this was a good time to change out the brass knobs to something less dated. We did this in the kitchen right after we moved in, took the bright brass off the maple cabinets and put on flat black handles that look sooo much better. I love it.

But trying to figure out what color hardware for the rest of the downstairs has me stumped. The home is open floor plan so there are only 4 doors with knobs and 4 french doors with levers. The kitchen isn't really seen much from the rest of the house so I don't feel like I need to go black but am considering it.

Other metals in the area are:

black fireplace screen in living room

black fireplace insert in library with brass trim

antique bronze chandelier in dining room

The doors with knobs are white panels, there's white crown molding, white pillars, the banister and such will be white.

The french doors are wood.

I don't want something silvery because I don't think that would blend. I've heard people say that they worried ORB would be too dark.

So I'm wondering about antique brass? (is that dated and if so, should I care?) or a dull antique nickel? (would that be more black tones?)

If anyone has either of those two colors on white door or on wood doors similar to this one, I'd love to see them.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/places to look.

Comment (1)