SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammyw_gw

Kitchen remodel: Integrated hood fan and odd shaped island

tammyw
10 years ago

We are in escrow for this house and want to redo the kitchen (the cabinets are 10-year old cheap Home Depot ones - they are not faring well, so it's easier to start from scratch).

We met with a cabinet designer yesterday. He did my friend's house and it looks fabulous. Their kitchen was more straight forward though.

1. I'm wondering if we can convert an existing SS hood fan to a fully integrated one? I don't particularly love the look of it currently (we are planning on doing white cabinets).

2. There is currently a modest-sized island in there plus a round table with chairs. I want to do a much bigger island with built-in seating. Because there is a pantry on the left side, plus a pass-through door to the dining room, the cabinet designer suggested doing a T-shaped island (similar footprint of the current island with a raised area going towards the family room for seating).

I'm trying to decide if I should hire a full-on kitchen designer to make the plans for us or if we can do it together with the cabinet designer and houzz.com inspirational photos. He's very experienced, but I'm not a designer and feeling panicky. Of course that means adding more to the already escalating budget.

Comments (2)