SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Squirrel Tales; 3 photos

caroline94535
14 years ago

We have a variety of squirrels, little red squirrels, big fox squirrels, and huge grey squirrels, in our yard and neighborhood.

I have baffles for the bird feeders. They can dine on the dropped seed under the feeders. Since noticing I have two nursing "mamas", I've been giving them a bit of puppy chow and dollop of peanut butter daily. They get a treat and I get to "visit" with them. Win-Win for everyone.

Now the downside. One persistent squirrel was trying to nest in the neighbors' storage shed. Ms. M was very concerned about the damage, but she didn't want me to trap the squirrel. She knew more would just move in.

We decided to try building a "squirrel nest box" to see if we could lure them from the shed into the box which is hung in one of our maple trees. We didn't see a squirrel come near it all last summer, or winter.

But today, (!) DH was busy empting the compost bin and something "growled" at him! Mama Squirrel poked her head out of the box and blessed him out for being too close to her nest.

Of course I didn't get a picture and I don't want to risk opening the box to get photos of the kittens, but I'll try to photograph her tomorrow.

We built the squirrel box to specs we found on the Internet. We placed the entry hole on the south-facing side of the box. They can supposedly use it for a winter sleeping nest, too.

I filled it about half-full of cedar shavings and added a bit of Sevin dust for flea and ant control.

This shows Ms. M's storage shed, on left. Mama Squirrel has abandoned it, party due to M's heavy concrete, metal flashing, and hardware cloth reinforcements to the shed, and partly because of the comfort and style of her new, appropriate, digs.

You can see she's took a nibble out of the entry hole. I'll add a slate squirrel guard, as soon as the kittens leave, to prevent further squirrely shenanigans.

This shows the type of slate squirrel guards I've been slowly adding to all my nest boxes.

Comments (12)