SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Sofa cleaning - steam clean or 'chem-dry'

lkplatow
14 years ago

This is kinda OT, but not really, since my dirty sofas are cramping my decorating style, right?!

I need to have our sofas cleaned. Seems like there are two options, steam cleaning and what I assume is more like dry cleaning, a service called chem-dry. Both types of companies do both rugs and upholstery.

Last time, I had Stanley Steemer do steam cleaning, and while I thought the cleaning job was ok (better on one sofa than the other), the guys were kind of incompetant and scratched the floor badly moving the sofas - the company sent out a repair guy but as you might expect, you can still see the repair. So I'm not using them again.

Anyone have any experience with either type of cleaning? Is one better than the other for upholstered pieces? One set is a chenille-type fabric and the other is more of a cotton velvet and linen with down cushions. The second has a faint odor that I'd like to get rid of (it was a CL buy and it smells like someone else's house - not a bad smell, just there) - is one better than the other at odors?

I would like to schedule the cleaning today as we are having a party in a couple weeks and I want them done before then. Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)