SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steppy_gw

What would you do? (long)

Steppy
11 years ago

As most of you know, I have two roommates, a female and a male. The male is an alcoholic, and I got him into AA's and went to meetings with him for a month to get him going. He's doing very well with that, but that hasn't helped his personality any. He has a habit of damaging your stuff while he's trying to "get things done," and feeling like he doesn't have to apologize for it. In fact, he always blames it on you, it's never his fault.

He's now working on his fourth step,the self-inventory, and I told him he really needed to work on his humility and learn to admit his mistakes and apologize for them. He asked me what he had ever done to me, and I reminded him of something he did when I first moved here. He laughed and said "Sounds like a personal problem to me." I said, "Yeah, YOUR personal problem." Then he went into this whole rant about how he was evolved spiritually to a point where he didn't live in the past and didn't have to admit anything he did wrong. WHAT??? I don't think even the archangels are that far evolved!!

Well, this is a serious thing to me. My family did this to me all my life. Whenever they would (usually purposely) upset me, they would laugh at me and call me crazy. It pushes all sorts of buttons in me, but aside from that, I just don't want to be associated with anybody who is that self-centered and hurtful. He's done this before, but I ignored it because he was drinking at the time. Now I see it's not the alcohol, it's just a personality flaw. He told me yesterday that I am hyper-critical, and I told him that he is the only person in my entire life who has ever said that of me. I think he feels that way because he can't face the truth about himself.

He's moving next Wednesday, and he gave me a key to his new place. At the time, I was going to meetings with him, and he and I were getting along very well. So I want to give him the key back, but I don't want to rock the boat before then. I think I'm just going to avoid him until then, and mail it to him after he leaves with a letter telling him why I would rather not ever see him again.

Part of me wants to confront him face to face, but what good would that do? Do you think that's the best way to handle it? My other roommate never wants to see him again either. He has been very cruel to her, screaming in her face and calling her names. Neither one of us can wait until he's gone.

Comments (19)