SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qn1234

Which options do I have when modifying a shear wall?

17 years ago

I have a single garage attached to the living room with a 13' shear wall in between. Above the shear wall is vaulted ceiling with joists resting on it. The wall is some 13'-7" tall.

I would like to open up that shear wall and turn the garage into an entertainment room. I want most part of the wall to be cleared living about 2' on each side where a decorative column will stand. The width of the opening space would be around 9'-7".

With a stud detector and small long screw driver I was able to verify that the wall is indeed a shear wall with plywood mounted only on the living room side.

I understand that I need to talk to a civil engineer, come up with a plan and have it approved by the city, and that's probably the right thing to do. However, I desperately need some suggestions so that I have some ideas before talking to one.

A few questions I have are:

1) Is the 9'-7" opening way too large?

2) Let's say I gotta have the 9'-7" opening, what are the options do I have?

3) Will some 4x6" steel beams with 3'x3'x18" concrete footings work?

4) Because of the decorative columns I will need to widen the wall a bit, perhaps there's a way to stiffen the wall by installing pieces of plywood on the garage side of the wall?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--

QN

Comments (3)