SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Right way to glue a mirror to plywood and frame it?

I am planning to make a wall mirror that is long and skinny, hung horizontally over a buffet. I found a mirror that is the perfect size: 6 feet long by 10 inches wide. It is beveled which is definitely what I am looking for. The bevel is fairly narrow, though. For this reason I canÂt use typical picture frame molding, which has a recess to hold a picture. The recess would cover most of the bevel. It is not a very thick mirror.

FWIW, I canÂt have a beveled mirror custom made: the cost around here is very high. I did a small one about a year ago and it was shockingly expensive.

So tell me if there is anything wrong with this planÂ

I will glue the mirror, using Liquid Nails or something, centered onto a piece of plywood, which is larger than the mirror by about 2 inches. I will plan on using a molding that is flat on the back, and nail this to the plywood backing.

I was at a millwork place yesterday and the person helping me said I would have to cut, with a tablesaw, some kind of bevel on the underside of the molding to have some edge that would actually hold in the mirror. I donÂt have a table saw and doing this by hand would be prohibitive. I also think it is probably not necessary. Being a millwork person he is probably more wood-oriented (not surprisingÂ) than glue Âoriented. I have really large mirrors in all my bathrooms that are just glued on the wall, no clips. In 20 years none of them have come off.

Am I correct in thinking the right glue will do the trick?

Comments (12)