SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebound_gw

drain rough-in and locating stud walls

homebound
15 years ago

I'm building the stud walls for a basement bathroom (two-part bath) around existing drain rough-in and an original sketch. Drawing is to scale (1" = 4'), and this two-part bath is an "island" that will be surrounded by bedroom, closet, hallway, and another hallway. Trouble is that I just snapped the stud wall lines and 1) the tub drain stub seems at least 6"-12" or more further under the tub than it likely should be (in the "wrong" direction, meaning toward toilet stub on the far wall of the adjacent room), and 2) a pedestal vanity stub is "in the room" several inches, which is on a 45 degree wall.

Without access to more detailed plans, what's a typical course of action for these issues, aside from breaking concrete? Should I have the tub purchased, lay it over the stub and work outward from there (and moving the adjacent wall layout to fit?) Is building (or pouring) an elevated step/platform an option for leaving the tub where it's supposed to go and routing the drain to the existing stub? (Ceiling height is 8' 6")

As for the pedestal sink stub, that issue may be less major, since I may have room to move that wall "into the room" a bit.

BTW, when dealing with 4" supports that need to be enclosed in a wall with two finished sides, do you typically use 2x4 studs and shim out the other side (sistering, etc.) or just use 2x6's? Curious about that.

Thanks very much.

Comments (3)