SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slflaherty

Change Decorating Style to Match House?

slflaherty
11 years ago

I would definitely put myself in the "cottage style" of the decorating spectrum. I've always been drawn to pictures and furniture that match this style. I love the soft colours, it mixes in old pieces, it's casual and family friendly. I feel that with this style, nobody is afraid to sit on your couch when they enter your house. This worked great for us in our cute little (1000 sqft) cape cod. It was like the structure of the house dictated the style it wanted to be on the inside.

Now we're moving into a 75 year old, 2200 sqft dutch colonial with 10 ft ceilings. I'm drawn to dark wood floors and gray tones for the walls. I picture an elegant dining room with upholstered chairs and a more traditional living room. As much as I love cottage style, I just feel like it would clash with the style of this house. With this house we are definitely leaning towards a more traditional, classic look. The problem is, a lot of the funiture we own is cottage style; lots of antique wood painted white, wrought iron beds, etc. Actually it was the wrought iron bed that brought me here to ask this question. In the new house, I'm picturing an upholstered head board for the master bedroom, but I really don't want to get rid of the wrought iron bed. I remember falling in love with it the second I saw it and spending more money than I had to get it because I just HAD to have it. So I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone ever seen a wrought iron bed incorporated into a more traditional looking master bedroom? I think I just need some reassurance and inspiration to make me realize that we could still make it work.

Has anyone else's style evolved into something completely different depending upon the house you are living in, or have you stayed true to your decorating style no matter what?

Comments (14)