SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
odessaquilts

Round Robin anyone?

odessaquilts
14 years ago

I'm curious to know if anyone might be interested in participating in a Round Robin quilt? There would obviously need to be some parameters to follow (limit on number of participants per top/colors desired/length of time to add your border, etc.), but I would like to participate in one and am looking for others who might be interested also. I would be willing to coordinate.

Anyone who wants to know more particulars, let me know and I will be happy to advise.

Any takers out there?

Odessa

Comments (40)

• solstice98
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Odessa,
    I've been wanting to do a Round Robin for a long time but haven't taken the steps to organize it. Definitely count me in!

Kate

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kate, consider yourself counted. I'm hoping to get at least 6-8 people who are willing to participate. That way, we could end up with fairly useable sized finished projects by the time they return to each of us.

Now, would anyone else like to participate? I'll try to provide parameters by early next week, so if anyone is considering this "project", it may help to know what you're getting in to. Please let us know in the mean time if you are interested in participating.

Odessa

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

I'm thinking about it. I homeschool and that is starting up here again very soon! Put me down as a maybe and send me any info you have on it, please.

Vicky

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Terrific to have you Vicky. I will be getting the info together soon so it can be posted here as well as sent to the people who wish to participate. I will try to make it easy and fun for everyone who wants to join.

Are there any other takers out there?

Odessa

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

INFO AS REQUESTED:

A Round Robin Quilt is something of a group project, but you dont generally do any of it together. The first person begins a quilt center, either a beautiful pieced block or a lovely appliqué of whatever shape/size (square, rectangle) they determine will be the focus of their quilt. She then sends the block to the next participant on the list of contributors (think of how we pass a plate of food around the dinner table, each person taking what they need and passing the remainder to the next person in line).

Each subsequent participant will prepare and add a border to the original piece. The borders can be pieced, appliquéd, a single length of fabric, or any combination that the participant feels adds to the quilt. Eventually, each person will have worked on every quilt in the group, but at a different stage. The total size and shape will be determined primarily by the size of the borders added along the way, although we could specify that we wish for the finished pieces to be wall quilts, lap quilts, or bed quilts from the very start.

I perceive this to be a "stash buster" kind of project, in that we shouldnÂt have to run out and buy materials to complete each round (unless, of course, you feel you absolutely MUST).

Eventually you will receive your original block with multiple borders added to it back in your hands. You can then complete the top however you wish (add more borders if it doesnÂt match the size you wanted/needed, or put it together and quilt it) and your quilt is done.

We should likely determine some of the following:

* We could specify a particular color theme, if that is what the majority prefers, or be surprised by the scrappy beauty each becomes.

* Perhaps each person would prefer that a particular fabric be used in each "round"; if that is the case, a sufficient piece of that particular fabric would need to go with the top to each destination so it could be included (your stash may not be as big or as focused as mine on what I want, ergo I will provide a piece of material I wish to have added each time along the way  no issues with different dye runs, etc.).

* Maybe each of us would prefer a different focus (I may want black and white; someone else may prefer fall colors; perhaps a third wants blues and greens, or what about traditional Christmas. Did I hear someone mention batiks? Oh, and thereÂs a vote for childrenÂs prints, someone else suggested no traditional calico, and what to do with the vote for fluorescent colors only??????). It might be best if we determine the focus at the start so we can all make sure we have sufficient stash to work from.

* I would suggest that a brief note go along with each quilt top to give subsequent participants some insight as to what our original idea was. Maybe we could each add some quick thoughts as to why we added the border we chose.

* Length of time to complete your "round" before sending on to the next person. I would think that three weeks would be sufficient time to do your sewing, then allow a week for mailing. That way, if someone has a particularly busy life when the top arrives, she has what I would hope is sufficient time to add her border before sending it on.

Clearly, this could take several months to accomplish, and it may not be the kind of project everyone is interested in working on.

Have I answered all your questions? Are you ready to get started? Can we try for a September 1st start date (for our initial block centers) with mailing to the next person from the 22nd to the 30th???

If you want to be included, please advise by the 25th of August. I will then post the particular parameters of the Round Robin and we can get it rolling!

Happy stiching,

Odessa

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Odessa,
    That's a good summary!
    My only comment would be that having 6-8 all working on it will end up with a pretty large quilt. By the time we're working on the 5th, 6th, etc level it will involve a lot of fabric and time. Maybe we could hold each group to 4 quilters and specify a lap or sofa sized quilt? If we have more than 4 participants we could have a couple different rounds going. Does that make sense?

I work full time and travel some for my job, too. I would hate to be the one to hold up a round because I hadn't been able to find the time to do a large border.

Kate

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    this sounds great, I'll post my opinion

I think a basic size limit would be good -I want a fair sized wall hanging(about 40" finnished), I would be a little put out to be adding large amounts of fabric to several large bed sized quilts, so maybe lap size at the largest.

I would like players to add a fabric that they like, a christmas theme would be great evan if I don't get it finnished till after christmas thats fine.

but what ever is decied please count me in
    michelle

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kate and Michelle,

I'm glad someone actually read the summary! (lol) I agree that too many rounds on one quilt could end up with a piece the size of Rhode Island, and I had considered that, also. As you pointed out, if we have enough participants, we could actually have a couople RR's going at the same time (which was my hope, also). I would really like to see some interest in this project, so if we have a couple going, so much the better!

Don't worry, I'm sure you won't hold up anyone's quilt top!

So, for now, we have the following participants:

Kate
    Vicky
    Michelle
    Odessa

Does anyone have a request for colors? I would love to see fall colors, but I am flexible. Any other requests?

Can't wait to get started.

Odessa

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I'll go with whatever the group wants but I think I would prefer that we each get to request what we want. Nothing too specfic, but some guidelines for style of fabric or colors or theme.

• wynative
    14 years ago

I would love to be included in this - sounds like lots of fun!

Let me know if there is enough to do another RR as I think I am #5?

Marie

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

I have done a ROW Robin before and each person requested what they liked. One wanted, Red, Black and White, one was houses, mine was a chicken themed, one did a Christmas. It was build on whatever the first row started out as. If you want fall colors, great, if Jane Doe whats Christmas that would be fine.

Vicky

P.S. I do HAVE to add this if any one wanted me to work on a halloween anything.........I can not because of religious reasons, I would just drop out of the swap.

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, that's five, with Marie. So I guess we've got our first RR group: Kate-Vicky-Michelle-Odessa-Marie. If we make the maximum finished size 45", then an 18" center square + four 3" to 3-1/2" borders would be just about right. Of course, each border doesn't need to be 3" wide, and each center doesn't need to be 18" square, either. I leave that up to the creator.

The only other caveat is NO Halloween, please, per Vicky's request.

All fabric should be 100% cotton, please. And if everyone would send me their mailing addresses, I will set the order and provide addresses to each of you. If you would also please include your preference for colors/style/theme, I can let everyone know what to anticipate. Shall we plan to mail our center blocks out around Sept. 21st?

If anyone else wants to get in on the fun, we can start up another RR. The more the merrier!

Odessa

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Yea! This is so exciting!

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vicky & Marie,
    still need your style requests and address info. Send them to me in an e-mail, if you would.

So far, we have the following:

Michelle: wants Christmas/Winter theme
    Odessa: would like fall colors
    Kate: 1930's Reproduction fabrics and White-on-White
    Vicky: No Halloween
    Marie: ?????

Odessa

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, Marie, you're the lone holdout for now, but there's still room for more participants if anybody else wants to start up another ....

Odessa

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For the 1st RR participants, the group members, their preferences and the rotation are as follows:

Odessa: would like fall colors
    Vicky: Cabin/lodge theme with tans and greens, browns, etc.
    (NO Halloween)
    Michelle: wants Christmas/Winter theme
    Kate: 1930's Reproduction fabrics and White-on-White
    Marie: ?????

For the "rotation", just assume that you will send your section to the next name on the list, when it arrives to Marie and she completes her "round", then she will send to Odessa, etc. So you will always be sending to the same person and receiving from the same person.

Are you all as excited about this as I am??? I really can't wait to get started! I woke up this morning with a clear idea of what I want the center of mine to be, so off to the sketchbook I go......

Odessa

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    I know I was playing with sketching the other night but resorted to looking up a large block on one of the web sites, I got the pieces cut out last night and started assembly today but have already made at least 2 misstakes, so feeling a little crosseyed I desided to stop for the night I will try to finish it up tomarrow.
    I have one question about "reproduction fabrics" how do I know what these are?

thanks
    michelle

• wynative
    14 years ago

I'm here! Sorry about the delay - I started a security 'person' business and I was super busy this weekend :) love this new adventure and the pay is great! and my 4 1/2 month old puppy was bit by a spider in my veggy garden - had surgery last Wednesday and seem to be on the mend :)

Since I am from the Cowboy State - I think I will go with a western/cowboy theme. Colors???? What ever you come up with will be just fine, as I will have to check my stash to see what colors I have and then decide which ones I will use...

This is going to be fun but I need to reread the info to make sure I have it all right.

Marie

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Michelle, if you google "1930 fabric" you get a great idea of the type of fabrics. Or ask at your lqs. Mostly they are small prints with an old-fashioned look to them. If you don't have any or can't find them, don't worry about it. It's just the look I'm going for; it doesn't have to be the actual fabric.

By the time I get my center square done I may have changed my mind anyway! LOL It was my first idea but I don't know that it will be the final one. I really have only one request: "NO Sunbonnet Sue!!!" I'm sure some of you love her but she's not for me!

If any of you want to include requests, instructions, fabric, etc along with your block as you send it around, I think that's fine. Some might prefer rows are added to 2 sides instead of a border on all sides. Whatever. I'm OK with whatever the quilter wants.

I haven't started on mine yet, but I have fabric spread all over the kitchen table. Hopefully I'll be ready to start by this weekend.
    Kate

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    thanks kate I willlook those up but it sounds like I may have some in my stash.
    I got my center done last night, when I get something new going I just can't get it out of my head till I get it done, and that is kinda good becouse I just canned 3 batches of salsa this morning and the peppers were a lot stronger than I though and I have acid burns all over my hands(why oh why wont i use rubber gloves) so I wont be able to sew for a week or 2.
    but I now have over 25 jars of great salsa for the winter, and still have lots more tomatoes on the vines yet.
    well my hands hurt
    later
    michelle

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Michelle, I thought I was jumping the gun by getting started with a design this week, but you just tore it up! Great job! I can't wait until it gets to me for additions.

I'm going to the fabric store tonight to look for some "autumn sky" colored fabric .... it has to be just right or my center won't be as good as it can be. I just know I'll get lucky ... and if not, then I'll just have to buy a few things to test out. Can't fault me for that, can you?

Now, Michelle, go soak those hands in a bowl of buttermilk. It should take the sting out.

Odessa

• wynative
    14 years ago

Michelle - I feel your pain... I have done that so many times and each time I PROMISE myself that I will wear gloves the next time....

I plan to at least start mine tomorrow - hoping to get a good start at that :)

Marie

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, RR Quilters, I've got the bug ... picked up more fabric, started cutting freezer paper to assist with the central pattern on mine ... ordered still MORE fabric today ... picked up a quilting magazine for more inspiration ... have washed fabrics ... pressed them ... stayed up until the wee hours working the basics of the design ...

wow! i think I should catch my breath and have a bite to eat. And how are your centers coming along? Will everyone be ready to ship around Sept. 22nd?

Odessa

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Odessa and Michelle, you are both so funny! I love seeing someone else as excited about this as I am. I spent part of the afternoon (at work) looking up Round Robin quilt examples to get some inspiration. (Please, don't tell my boss!)

I'm hoping to get mine started this weekend, but even if I don't I'm sure I'll easily have it ready by Sept 22.

Yesterday I stopped at a favorite quilt store and completely changed my plan. Forget the 1930s fabric. I tried several combinations and just didn't love it as much as I wanted to. What I did love were the batiks and so that's what I picked up to do my center. I know these fabrics can be a little more expensive than regular cottons so I'm not going to hold anyone to using them. I think you'll easily be able to pick up the bright spring colors whether you use batiks or other fabric. I bought a full yard of one very distinctive batik that I'll mail with the center, so if any of you want to use a little of it in the borders you can do that. Again, not a requirement.

Just a note on Vicky's request: I think when she says "NO Halloween" she means not just her quilt, but that she can't work on any quilt with a Halloween theme. I'm sure that's not an issue with anyone but it seemed like a good idea to clear it up, just in case.

It's almost 1am so I'm off to bed, no doubt to dream about quilt patterns!

Kate

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kate, I feel your pain!

When I was looking for my "fall sky" material, I took DH and his eye went to a darker grayed-blue that just wasn't right (I also bought 3 colors of Moda marbles for trees, some paisley-printed muslin ...). I ended up buying it, but then when I came home, I picked something I already had on hand. Still not quite right, but that's okay, because I believe it's going to work just fine.

So, of course, my favorite online shop was having a sale, and I went there yesterday afternoon, and now I've spent $60+ on even MORE fabric, none of which is going to make it into this particular quilt! lol

So, anyway, I guess I'm saying that when the bug to create a new piece strikes, you can't do anything to stop it, you just need to go along with the disease and ride it to the end. Some of my most creative urges have resulted in fun pieces that, while they are not perfect, have given me great pleasure to create and the recipients a lot of enjoyment to receive.

This RR piece is going to be just for me. I'm planning to hang it on the wall in my living room when I am finished. (No pressure there, everyone, haha!) And no matter how it ends up, I will certainly be proud of the process and the finished product.

Well, y'all, I've got to get to the church and check out my daughter's truck brakes. Don't you just love it when they get their license and they know EVERYTHING??? Thank God this is the last one to get done! There is obviously more to this story, and some day I will fill you all in, but for now it's "Super-Mom" to the rescue! (somewhere in the distance I can hear my theme song: "Here I come to save the day!.......")

Odessa

• wynative
    14 years ago

---(somewhere in the distance I can hear my theme song: "Here I come to save the day!.......") ---

Gee... I hope you remembered your cape? hehehe Some days are like that though - mine calls me for just about everything unless I want her to LOL

I am sticking with my theme - I picked out a BUNCH of different fabric, drew up a WY bucking horse to use for the center, ironed my black fabric and then everything came to a halt... I have 2 new rolls of fuseable that is hiding from me :( So later this week, maybe tomorrow:)- I will be purchasing some more because I have no idea where it could be.

Kate,
    Batiks are great - soooo pretty. Sure wish I would have thought of them :)

It's raining with a bit of lightning moving in, so I better shut down for a bit.
    Marie

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

I spent hours last night looking for patterns and working on ideas. I came up with one but I have a few things in front of it.

Yep, getting excited.

Vicky

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I've been in a state workers comp conference this week (one more day to go) and while sitting in the lectures I've found myself sketching out blocks that would work for an 18x18 center! My class notes are full of quilt designs! I think I've decided on a pattern and will be ready to put it together within the next week or so. Depends on how crazy this coming weekend is.

Kate

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kate,

I'll just bet you've got the prettiest notes of all the participants there! Just be careful, though, 'cuz when you whip out the colored pencils during the lectures, the teacher may want to force you to share with everyone else!!! hahaha

Odessa

• solstice98
    14 years ago

It was funny because one of the vendors was giving away those pens that have multiple clickers so you can write with blue, black, red or green ink. Of course I fished that out of the bag about 1/2 way through the lecture and started coloring in squares. Those 4 colors, plus a yellow highlighter, and I was able to get a pretty good idea of the block designs! LOL

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, one and all, as August winds down, and you're gearing up to send the kiddies back to school in September, are you ready to work on your Round Robin quilts during the hours when the kids are in school? As if we don't already have enough to fill our days, it's just about time to get rolling on your Round Robin centers!

We've got 5 in our first group. If anyone else wants to join, there is plenty of time to put together another group of four or five for a second Round Robin. So if you're looking for something to fill the time of your newly-free days (during the school year), send me an e-mail and I'll put you in a group!

Odessa

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

Odessa,

I have to laugh (smile anyway) I homeschool so my days are just going to be starting up again! My children are older so mainly independent learners. I will have some time to do this. English and Math are the two big things and my husband has taken over math with our son. English I can handle. Yes, I do know my subject nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs even if my writing on the forum is a little wanting.

Vicky

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vicky,

I admire your persistence. I anxiously await the first day of school every year. Once upon a time my husband and I would take that day off to spend together and relish in the fact that our daughters were now the responsibility of the Public School System for several hours a day. I swear, every 1st day of school my blood pressure would drop about 40 points after a full summer of working all day and worrying about what my girls were getting into without our supervision. This year, I'm going to try to relish every minute because my youngest will graduate in May. Then she's off to New York City to try and make her way on the Great White Way. (Now, exactly what kind of threat is that?? lol)

So, since you're so good with the parts of English, can you teach an old, gray mare? I can write pretty well, but I couldn't identify the parts of speech to win a quilt!

Odessa

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Done! I'm done with my 18" center! Trust me, no one is more shocked than I am. I had other plans for today, but thought I would just iron the fabrics. I was enjoying them so much I decided I would cut out a few pieces to see if I liked the placement I had worked out. That of course segued right into a little sewing, then a little more sewing, etc. Done!

I'm going to have trouble waiting a full month to see what Michelle's center looks like! I've got lots of pretty Christmas fabrics though and I'm ready for it.

Kate

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kate,

You've earned the gold star for today! I was reading your previous entry and I just started laughing out loud ... I am the same way! In fact, the other evening I was working on mine and I was so enthusiastic about what was happening with my fabrics that when I looked up it was already 2:45 am and I had to be at work at 8:30!

How many of the rest of us are like this???????

Odessa

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Oh I am like that on any project. Totally obsessed. Too bad I can't work up the same level of enthusiasm for house cleaning! Early Sunday afternoon I started working on a mosaic project I have going on and lost the afternoon. I had no idea I had been at it so long until DH Jim came and asked what I wanted for dinner. Dinner?!? What time is it??? No laundry got done, no dusting, no ironing, dogs hadn't been brushed, etc. None of my regular weekend chores.

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Once I send off the beginning of my quilt I don't want to see it until the finished product comes back to me, but what do you all think of posting pictures of our centers? That way we could be thinking about colors and ideas for borders on each one even before it comes to us.

If this is a dumb idea don't hesitate to tell me!

Kate

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kate,

So what exactly is WRONG with working on a project instead of the housework???????????? I mean, honestly, if my husband had wanted a Stepford Wife, he should have married someone else!

Just wanting to know (since I hate howework, too, haha),

Odessa

• solstice98
    14 years ago

If any of you want to post a photo but haven't done it before, here are some instructions from our Convesations page.

Easy Photo Posting Instructions

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

I like the idea of posting the pictures of our centers but not seeing them in the working stages. My 2¢

Vicky

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!