SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_2008

Granite tops - Rock Top

debbie_2008
16 years ago

Has anyone dealt with Rock Tops for their granite countertops. If so, how was the experience? I'm starting to feel as though I am dealing with, how do I put this...like a track/production home builder vs a custom home builder? I'm not saying production is bad, but it seems they do things differently than most granite fabricators. I do plan to talk to them about a couple of issues tomorrow. Maybe my feelings aren't warranted.

Comments (25)

• ron6519
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So debbie, are we in the CIA? I've seen less cryptic posts in a John Lecarre' novel.
    Ron

• debbie_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ron, I'm not following you. It reads simple enough to me. I asked for comments from anyone who has had their granite fabricated by Rock Tops.

• Related Discussions

Plant Clematis at top or bottom of rocks

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi I would plant it at the bottom. plants know all about gravity.the stems and flowers are always going to grow upwards you may have to guide the clem a little but it should be fine from bottom to top
    ...See More

how to clean top of outdoor granite top table

Q

Comments (1)
    Wash the granite with water and detergent. Rinse well, dry with cloth and let air dry completely. Then use a granite cleaner and/or granite polish. Read instructions, may not need to use both at same time. Granite cleaner and polish can be purchased at hardware stores or places like Lowes and Home Depot. For day to day cleaning I use 50/50 solution alcohol and water. Granite does not streak and looks great for a long time before needing granite cleaner or polish. Your table may not be faded, probably is dull. The granite cleaner and/or polish will bring back the shine if it was a polished granite to start with. Real granite is a natural stone from the earth and to my knowledge does not fade. The finish can become dull.
    ...See More

Granite top on a 1/2 walls -Can I adhere the top to bare wood?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello SLC You need to install a moisture-stable substrate between the dimensional lumber and the natural stone. Cement board is suitable for this. You will also need to treat the top and interior of these walls with a moisture barrier of some type. You can use a sheet membrane (Noble, Kerdi, etc) or a liquid-applied membrane (Redgard, Hydroban, etc) over the cement board and your tile can then be installed directly to the membrane. Best of luck, Shaughnn
    ...See More

Rock Top Granite in Byron Center, Michigan

Q

Comments (2)
    We had quite the opposite experience. Our counters, a total of 3 including a 9' peninsula were installed on July 21. All appointments kept on time, perfect templating, and a flawless, as well as nicely cleaned up, installation. Everyone we worked with was professional as well as nice. Also, the price was more than reasonable. Our hardwood installer has seen their work in some pretty pricey lakeshore homes and is impressed with their work also. I/we highly recommend them and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. ymmv.
    ...See More
  • ron6519
    16 years ago

"I do plan to talk to them about a couple of issues tomorrow. Maybe my feelings aren't warranted."

Maybe if you discussed what issues you had, it would shed light on the type of company your dealing with. Sometimes it isn't necessary to have dealt with a certain company to know if they are competant or trustworthy. But only to get a sense of problems your having, that maybe you shouldn't have.
    While a consumer may have an experience or two concerning stone fabricators, contractors deal with them multiple times a year and might understand by your issues, if this company has core problems you shouldn't be dealing with.
    Ron

• debbie_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ron, thanks for your input.

• debbie_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Has anyone went direct with Rock Tops? Did you find it a good experience? I'm looking for comments about your experience, good or bad. Thank you

• tegs101
    16 years ago

I have purchased granite countertops for my kitchen through Rock Tops and my parents purchased a granite countertop for a bathroom. My granite hasn't been installed yet (it will be done next Tuesday), but I have been totally confident with their work thus far. The man who did my templating had been working in the industry for 20+ years and was extremely professional and detail oriented. My parents' bathroom countertop was installed last week and looks beautiful. They had absolutely no issues with Rock Tops whatsoever. Your experience may certainly be different, but neither me nor my parents have any complaints at this point.

• debbie_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tegs...thank you that is what I wanted to hear. I did what I think was a stupid thing, but was told by a neighbor they did the same and it worked out fine. When I first talked to them and decided to go with them, I gave them my measurements (which I know are right on). They priced it out (excellent price). AND, I paid them 50% of the cost..stupid yeah I know. Did they make you do that as well? That was exactly one month ago. Today they were going to do the template...having my money for a month now, and they canceled on me. Now I have to wait until Monday for the template. At measure they want the rest of the money. In short, they will have all my money and I will have nothing for who knows how long. If the job is not done correctly I feel as though I will have no leverage. KWIM?

I am going to assume all will be okay and they are reputable.

My feelings may be due to my salesman. He is quite young and I really think a salesman is all he is (afterall he did manage to get a few thousand out of me that day.) After templating I will talk to them about changing sinks, for one thing. They offer a freebie (yeah right) and I want a diff one. I'll check with the templater to see if the sink I want will work, THEN my salesman again.

I'd love an update after your install. Thanks!!!

Ron, yeah I know, paying before templating was stupid. I really cannot believe I did it. I have had rentals for years, and I do NOT pay until the job is done...go fig BUT in my defense my neighbor was very happy AFTER the job was done. She said prior to that her and her hubby felt like I feel.

• tegs101
    16 years ago

I'm glad I could help, Debbie. I was asked to pay 50% upfront and 50% at templating as well, but negotiated to pay 50% upfront, 25% at templating and 25% at completion instead, to have leverage as you mentioned. The salesman wasn't wild about it, but he did it.

I will say that length of waiting time between choosing the granite to installation has been longer than I would expect...It seems like they may be taking on more than they should and are really, really busy. Good things come to those who wait, though---or that's just what I've been telling myself!

I'd be happy to provide an update after the install. I really can't wait!

• debbie_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tegs...were you able to pick out your exact slab?

I'm anxious to hear your update and maybe even a pic? I choose juparana sierra, which is kashmir gold

• ron6519
    16 years ago

Why wouldn't a company ask for all the money up front? It gives them leverage in the transaction. But it's also an arbitrary request. You can just decline and offer an arrangement more comfortable to you. But if you go along with it, put it on a credit card. This way you still retain recourse.
    When I did my kitchen, we picked out the exact slabs, paid 50% at signing and the rest when it was installed.
    Ron

• debbie_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tegs...pics and udpate?

• tegs101
    16 years ago

My Rock Tops granite was installed yesterday and I am still just thrilled! I chose Giallo Antico, and am very happy with that choice. I don't have any photos to upload yet, but will do so as soon as I can.

I am very pleased with the quality of the countertops and the installation process. I started off somewhat frustrated as the installers were an hour and a half late, but everything was done the right way in the end, which is what matters the most. The sink is rodded, the only seam I have is barely visible (seriously, I have to look really closely to even find it) and the installers seemed to know what they were doing. My counters were sealed with a silicone impregnator and the installers were knowlegdeable about what I should do to maintain them. Overall, I am very satisfied. It took longer from start to finish (from initial visit to their location to installation), but from my conversation with the installer, it sounds like they are incredibly busy and my wait was less than some are experiencing (he said the sold over 2 million sq ft. through all of their locations last month). They might need to realistically look at how much business they can handle, but they did do my job the right way.

I'm not doing a full remodel of my kitchen, but rather am updating it step by step...new tile floors a couple years ago, paint and drawer pulls last year, counters and appliances this year...The countertops are the icing on the cake. They make everything look so beautiful. I will upload some pics in the next couple days.

• tegs101
    16 years ago

I was able to upload a photo from my phone...keep in mind the quality of the image is not wonderful since it was taken from a phone, but you can get a better idea of what my granite looks like. Better photos to come.

• debbie_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tegs...It looks great in the pic. Are you happy with the job and your grantie? What granite did you get?

• debbie_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

duh..tegs you gave all the info in a prior post. I didn't even see that post!

• debbie_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tegs...more pics?

• sindeeg
    15 years ago

Debbie,
    Did you get your counter tops yet? Are you happy? I'm starting to have second thoughts about signing the contract. They haven't been out to measure yet but they will keep 25% of the TOTAL cost if I back out now. Hope I haven't made the big mistake. Hope to hear from you soon.
    Sindeeg

• sindeeg
    15 years ago

Debbie,
    Is this Rock Tops you're dealing with located in Michigan?

• oblivian
    15 years ago

I am in the process of dealing with RockTops, and so far its been miserable.

The installer came out and because I had the wrong kind of boards on the top of my cabinets, they refused to install the counter tops and left.

I then called my salesman and explained what happened and he said he would call me back shortly, which he never did.

The next day I called him back and he said "Oh, no one ever called you? I'll call you right back", which again he never did.

Next day I called him again and this time he said "I'll call you back in 10 minutes", of course this never happened.

Now every time I try to get a hold of him, they ask who's calling and then come back and say He's with a customer and he will call me back.

At this point I'm getting pissed and call the corporate number only to find out that it will be $350 and a 2 week wait for someone to come back out.

I understand the contract says there will be a $125 trip charge + $55/hour for return trips. but they are now telling me its $350

It would have been nice if they explained what was needed for the counter tops to get installed, all they said was I need to pull out the old counter tops and remove the appliances. How is your average consumer supposed to know what else needs to be done.

I have talked to someone who used to work at a competing granite company and they said this would not have happened at there company. If a board needed replaced, it was included in the install price.

In the end I am very disappointed in giving my business to RockTops. They left me with no countertops or sink for 2 weeks, charged me a extra $350 and are avoiding my phone calls. In my opinion this is shitty customer service.

• cindy99ever
    15 years ago

Hello sindeeg, any update?

• sindeeg
    15 years ago

Yup, got my counter tops (Golden King) on Thursday, July 24th,two days shy of 4 weeks from purchase to installation. We are very pleased. You hear that saying If it's too good to be true it probably is. Well, not in this case. We were very leery because the price we paid was over $1000 less than any other quotes we got plus a sink was included. Communications were good. They called when they said they would, they came when they said they would and the sink was as good as the one we were going to buy anyway. One of the other companies we talked to didn't get back to us with a quote for three days after they said they would, and I had to make several calls to get that, so it happens with other companies too. We also knew exactly what we had to do in order for the tops to be installed (we even had to sign a paper that acknowledged that we understood what we had to do)The installers were fast and tidy, never made a mess and wiped up as they went along. They may have thought I was a pain in the you know what because I watched the whole time. They also explained the care of the tops very well. I'm sorry I gave my salesman such a hard time (I tried to get out of the deal because I was so worried). Anyway, I'm writing to say the experience was a good one. Also, we bought our tops at the showroom in Holly, MI and we DID get to see the slab we were getting. Good luck to anyone that is getting new counter tops.A kitchen re-do isn't easy any way you look at it!

• cindy99ever
    15 years ago

Hello sindeeg, If your contract include removal of old countertop and Pluming discount and re-connect? Thanks.

• bug8022
    15 years ago

Well I am sorry to say I have had a nightmare with this company starting at the first measure I faxed my plans from my cabinet company. Received a call back with a pretty good price I thought for granite never had it so really had no clue what to expect. First measure the guy came 45 minutes early and by the time I got there for the regular time the appointment was he had left. Second measure went great (except for the fact that I got an ear full from the measure guy) he was telling me how he is so tired of the customer being irate when he gets there because the salesman lie and forget to tell them they need to pay in full at time of measure and they make promises they cant keep. As he was measuring he told me it looked like whoever gave me my quote was way off on the square footage he asked me what I gave him for plans and I explained to him I faxed him the actual plans from the cabinet company. I get a call the following day to be told that there was an error in the price they gave me and the salesman had made a mathematical error and there would be an additional charge of approx. 32 square feet. It was just shy of 50% of the original amount. I explained to him this was not acceptable I am without running water until I get my counter tops and I have a purchase order and I want what I was quoted and ordered. He said he was sorry and he would give me my money back. I explained I wanted my counter tops not my money back. He told me what the balance would be and I said they should at least meet me half way he tried saying I signed off on the paper agreeing to a possible variance so technically I would have to pay for it. After excessive disagreement they agreed to split it with me after they added another $300 to it. I was very mad but I also wanted to get my countertops installed.

Now we get to the installation day they tell me they will call an hour before the guy calls me 15 minutes before he is to be at my house. I have to get someone to go over there to let them in because I am an hour away. I get there they had cut the wrong edge in the shop on some pieces and cut the sink hole for the WRONG SIZE sink. it was supposed to be a small sink in it (1/2 of a 60 /40) now I called the store where I bought it and they looked up my order and stated that it says the small sink on the order but the measure guy forgot to write it on something so the store where I bought it says they will have to re-cut it I would have to call Macomb though for authorization. I call Macomb and they say they need to look at it and call me back when they call back they will not fix it they said I signed off on it and therefore I must have changed my mind they said 80% of people do. I was so mad I told the installers not to install it they could take it back along with the other pieces that were wrong and when they get it right they can come back. The lady told me her manager would be calling me right back but he was busy at the moment but he to was going to tell me that they would not re-cut it because I signed a paper agreeing that the measure was ok (they never even gave me a copy of this paper they claimed I signed until that day but I got other copies the day I signed them). The manager never called the installers left with 1/2 of the granite and I have no idea when this job will be finished. So now I have some counter tops and still no running water this is week 4. I will say this they have a nice product but are very shaky every where else. It seems like they do a bait and switch sales tactic and dont accept responsibility for any of their own mistakes. At this company the customer is always wrong.

• cpfaff_chartermi_net
    15 years ago

Cindy,
    We paid for granite, sink and granite installation only, they provided the sink. My husband is quite handy and we did all the other work ourselves. We have an old house and we wanted to do a few other things, like move a couple of existing cabinets,etc. Getting anyone to work on our house is a trial so we usually do it ourselves. Nothing is even, level or plumb. We moved the stove and dishwasher and removed the existing oounter tops (we had some repair work to do to the old plaster walls after we removed the back splash so wanted to do that ourselves) My husband unhooked the plumbing,etc for the dishwasher, sink and garbage disposal and put it all back together. Taking this in to consideration we still saved over $1000 from all the other quotes we got. Like I said, our walls are really uneven and the tops fit like a glove. One guy was going to score and scrape out the old plaster and shove the granite into the wall when he was going to install so it would be tight. Rock Tops didn't do that. Hope this helps. Sorry, I haven't gotten back to this site to answer your question sooner. Been busy painting walls and looking at new cupboard doors for the cabinets. Love the kitchen!

• paulb_2008
    15 years ago

I used Rock tops granite and they were fine. They did a great job on my counter tops and were priced a lot better than other companies we got quotes from.

I would use them again.