SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bee0hio

How do you measure for borders?

bee0hio
14 years ago

I've always heard, read, seen that you should measure through the middle of the quilt top about 3 times, take the average of the 3 numbers & use that length for the 2 borders. Then do the same in the opposite direction.

One of the ladies that I sew with when we work on Red Cross quilts, that our guild donates, does it a different way....

She takes a long strip of border fabric & sews it on a side. Then she trims off the ends to even it up with the quilt top. Then she takes another length of border fabric & measures it against the previously attached border, cuts it off to the same length and sews it to the opposite side. Repeat the same process for the other 2 sides.

We're not real "fussy" with these quilts, as they are meant to be functional, as well as the fact that we have quite a range of expertise that makes them.... beginners to experts. From my observations this lady isn't real particular in her quilting ways ... oftentimes doesn't press before she cuts fabric or after sewing seams, sewing & cutting isn't the greatest ... a bit "slipshod" if you get my drift.

So in spite of that, I'm thinking there is probably nothing wrong with the way she makes her borders & in fact, it seems easier than the "measuring method".

What's your opinion on this -or- does anyone else use this method?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County