SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulflyboy

enclosing carport.....remove cement slab??

paulflyboy
15 years ago

In the future I plan on enclosing my carport to make another room. Our house has a crawlspace all the way up to the wall where the carport is. I have heard different stories on the best way to go about this, and want to get some more advice.

Obviously, it would be easier to just run my floor joist above the cement slab and leave the slab there. But, I live in SC and we see a wide range of weather, very hot and muggy to cold and wet days. The cement sweats a good bit.

There are no mold issues underneath the crawlspace, I open the vents in the summer and ventilation is fine, house is in great shape for being almost 50 yrs old. My concern is that if I build over the slab, I am asking for a mold problem.

I have heard of the vapor barrier, but not too familiar. At one point I had put some plastic down underneath the house to do some plumbing work, and this trapped the moisture between the dirt and the plastic sheeting and mold began to grow underneath the plastic. I took the plastic out, and now everything under the house is dry and just fine. So, if I put a moisture barrier over the slab, isn't that just going to let mold grow under the plastic?

I would appreciate any advice on what to do here. I don't plan on starting this project for a while, but I wanna know what I'm getting into here!

thanks,

Paul

Comments (5)