SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candace70

Before and after - fireplace

candace70
14 years ago

I broke some rules and changed my fireplace brick. These are the before and afters. In the very first before pic, you can see the rough hewn beams and exposed brick to the ceiling. This was how the fireplace was when we bought the house. (it was even bulkier because there were shelves on the side of the fireplace made out of the same beams but we took those down immediately) I felt it was very dark and depressing.

The second phase was when the top of the brick was covered in drywall and we trimmed out the beams. This was intended to be a temporary job, but it stayed that way for 4 years. In this time we also added a pellet stove insert.

I finally got tired of waiting for DH to do something (which he kept promising he would!), so I painted the brick myself. The diamond pattern is the final reveal.

Throughout the different phases you can see that I rearranged furniture more than once. I ended up changing my small dining room into a sitting room and making the dining area in front of the fireplace. This has enabled me to use the leaves in my table and has made the space much more usuable for our family. The china hutch is placed in front of the window that originally had a piano in front of it. It is still there, but had to be sacrificed due to space. Not ideal to cover a window, but I did it to get the most use out of the entire space.

I am a frequent reader here but not a frequent poster. I get a lot of ideas and wanted to show my results because I have asked many questions here! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: fireplace

Comments (21)

• pugga
    14 years ago

I really like it. I like how you have the furniture and artwork arranged, too. It's a lovely space.

• caminnc
    14 years ago

It's lovely and so creative. Nice work.

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

I like it too even though I usually do not like painted brick.
    What's your next project?

• candace70
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just repainted my master bedroom and changed out the bedding and window treatments, I need to post pics. I also redid DS's room, need to post pics.

My next project will be lighting a fire under the person who is supposed to be installing a new window over my kitchen sink so I can choose tile and actually get a backsplash! (can't be done until the window is in)

• yayagal
    14 years ago

Wow you really made changes to that room and all for the better!!!! You did a great job and I love how it looks.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Brillant transformation!!

Just wonderful changes -- and so well done!!!

Very charming and elegant!

Jan

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I did not notice the creative work until I enlarged the photo. WOW! I love what you did. As others have already said: "Brilliant!"

I like the 'out of the box' thinking with the harlequin design painted, ignoring the texture of the brick. Good job.

• parma42
    14 years ago

WOW is right!

As one who usually leans toward stained wood and natural brick, I have to say that you have done a remarkable job of not just updating, but creating something very special.

Kudos

• candace70
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone. In my dreams, I have a natural stone fireplace, but that is on hold for awhile. This house was so 1983 when we moved in and making it mine, on a budget, without building an addition, has been a challenge. The fireplace just irritated me daily, so I decided to take it into my own hands!

• candace70
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Also, I was having a huge party at my house and needed to have the work finished, but I am contemplating adding something else to the work: either some antiquing over the entire thing, or maybe some tiny fleur de lis at the points.

And, I also want to point out that the host/hostess chairs are from a resale shop and were $135 for the pair! They need a bit of cleaning, but other than that, I have done nothing to them. One thing I have learned from this board is to buy what you love and be patient enough to wait for it!

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Your room has undergone a major facelift...you shoulda been a doctah ;o)

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

Dixie
    That has to be one of the most creative fireplace transformations I have seen! Wow - good for you, what a great idea to paint it harlequin pattern - a totally welcome transformation
    Please post pics of the entire room - you may get some ideas for the hutch
    I'd love to know where you got the idea for the paint pattern
    Enjoy

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

Very pretty!

• ivy333
    14 years ago

dixie, I broke the rules, too! I love, love, love your tranformation. Doesn't it feel good to finally be rid of the eyesore? I really didn't like our brick and wanted it painted. Took a while to convince my DH. He finally agreed and now he is first to admit what a change it made for the good.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Dixie, live with what you have for now and if you feel it needs antiquing or fluer de lis then go for it. IMHO adding more details would be overkill. You can always add it later easily. You won't be able to remove easily it if you don't like it.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Dixie, what a delightful change! It went from dark and ordinary to light, airy and remarkable. Good for you! The nice thing about paint is, it's only paint. BTW, if you decide to, you can paint it back to look like brick any time you want.

• candace70
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are some pictures that I took in the fall of 2008. My kitchen is not included because I don't consider it done. The bathroom was remodeled last spring. As you can see, I have already changed some things in the dining area - the fireplace (obviously!), added the host chairs, and the small blue chair was added next to the fireplace.

We have a smallish house that lacked character and I am slowly adding what I can. Someday, I will pull up the original photos and post them side by side with the newer ones to show the changes. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: more house pics

• patricianat
    14 years ago

You are doing a terrific job of design and decor. Please keep us updated on your redo as they occur. I look forward to seeing your kitchen. I know it is going to be sensational.

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Great job, Dixiechicie! Your fp looks wonderful........bonnie

• lottamoxie
    14 years ago

I am mesmerized by your painted FP! Absolutely enchanting. Please tell me you used a stencil and that's not free-hand. It works beautifully in that room.

Brava!!

• candace70
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone! Moxie, no stencil. I primed it with Kilz, painted the cream color (which is the cream I use on all my trim, mouldings), and then using a level, a yardstick and a pencil, made the markings. I googled how to do the harlequin design - the math in that was the most difficult part! My husband helped me to hold the level as the fireplace is as wide as I am tall! I used a foam brush (the ones with the straight edge, not sure what their intended purpose is) and then did some touchups with a small, flat artist brush for the tan color. Measuring and marking was absolutely the hardest part. The rest was surprisingly simple.