SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southerncrafter

Accuquilt?

southerncrafter
14 years ago

anyone own one of these? I am tempted but do I need it???

Comments (20)

• southerncrafter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

this is the url

Here is a link that might be useful: accuquilit home

• imrainey
    14 years ago

I've seen it demoed a couple times.

People oooh and ahhh when it's demoed, but it looks to me like a rotary cutter and possibly some templates will do the same thing just as fast and with less waste. ...except for circles. If you need to cut a lot of circles I can see where it would be helpful.

It's really expensive, it's quite large so it will take significant storage space and you've got to get a bunch of dies/templates/whatever-they're-called to cut more than the tumbler blocks (I think it is) it comes with.

It might be right for you but it doesn't interest me.

• Related Discussions

wanting someone with accuquilt cutter

Q

Comments (1)
    I have the Accuquilt cutter, but not those dies- sorry. yahoo groups has an entire forum for Accuquilt cutters - if someone here isn't able to help you out, join that group and ask.
    ...See More

a question for accuquilt users

Q

Comments (4)
    Your are welcome!!!! I haven't had a prob with dust, but I do have to wipe off the lint a lot while using them. I found that cutting jeans with them doesn't work well lol! It will never replace my rotary cutter, but I just cut 240 nickel squares in such a short time, so I like mine. Cutting is my least fav part of quilting. The only thing that looks like it may wear out fast is the mat that goes on top of the dies when you cut. Rosa
    ...See More

Accuquilt Go

Q

Comments (9)
    I use my Sizzix a lot for applique with various shapes, made this Christmas t-shirt with a truck die. I might want to try one of the standard squares (2.5" or 5") that I use a lot. The quilt show usually has it 30% off if you buy there so I think I'll add that to my wish list. Glad you are making good use of yours. I find I do best when I just get the machine out and make an afternoon of it. I make my Christmas cards and paper projects as well and find it works great on felt and fabric.
    ...See More

Wandering Stitchers' Retreat update

Q

Comments (3)
    I am bringing pimento cheese and chicken salad for lunches. Also bringing a machine for Sue. I will bring my Accuquilt dies so that we have more dies available. Since I am the closest to camp, I will probably be first one there or close to it. I may stop in Kingsport, TN and have breakfast with a friend. Does anyone need any certain color of fabric for a project? I am in need of purple 2.5" strips if anyone has any. I am doing a scrappy Jamestown Landing in purples. If anyone finds my stylus that Marsha gave us at Retreat a few years back, please let me know. I have lost it...I know it is in something around here! LOL Every time I sit down to sew I miss it.
    ...See More
  • southerncrafter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What templates are you referring to? I would like to start cutting fabric easier than I can now with my ruler. I also use my cuttle bug to cut out fabric but the area is so small. I would like to cut 2.5 inch rectangles and some unique shapes.

thanks.. :)

• imrainey
    14 years ago

I don't know what they're called but you need a plate with a cushioned surface that you lay the fabric on and a specifically shapped set of blades that are embedded under the cushion for each size and shape piece you want.

Some, like the strips only cut one thing. Others, like the circles, cut a few sizes Go to the Accuquilt site that someone else linked above. You'll see the optional cutting sets that they offer.

• southerncrafter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ImRainey, Are you referring to the Go Cutter?? I dont see what you mean, can you link?

• imrainey
    14 years ago

Yes, I was referring to the Go Cutter. The Studio model is even bigger and more expensive but it has more dies (the right word for what I was trying to describe) if you wanted to do Hawaiian type work.

Those elaborate shapes with lots of curves would also strike me as things that the die cutters could do a superior job with. I just don't think I'll ever get around to doing a Hawaiian style quilt. I can admire them but it's not what I want to do myself.

I think the best thing to do is use the link to noodle through the Accuquilt site. That will show you what they're offering, the prices and some projects. There's also a video showing you the difference between the two models and how they and the dies are used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Accuquilt Go & Studio cutters

• imrainey
    14 years ago

You might also want to call the company and see if anyone in your area stocks the Go or has the Studio so you can see a demo*. Or if they're scheduled to do any shows in your area.

If you see the machine you'll get a more accurate idea of what it can do for you, what the operation really is like and what kind of waste there is. You can also ask the demonstrator how many dies (at $30 and up) you'd realistically need to make quilts that have variety -- either in the quilt or from one quilt to the next.

* I wonder if, at some point, quilt shops will start equipping themselves with the big Studio cutter and let customers cut with it like the scrapbooking stores give people time on their paper die cutters.

• msmeow
    14 years ago

I have an Alto's Quilt Cut II system. I've had it for 6-7 years, and I just love it! I bought a new mat for it in January - first time I've needed one.

It's heavy, but I store it against the wall behind my cutting table when I'm not using it. You can cut all kinds of angular shapes with it - strips, squares, triangles, etc. Not good for curves or circles, but I almost never need a circle, and I have a special ruler for them if I do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alto's Quilt Cut II

• imrainey
    14 years ago

That looks move versatile to me. And I imagine you wouldn't have waste -- apart from the squaring up thing.

So it works like a ruler and rotary cutter, except with more secure "hands" to keep the fabric and the ruler in place for you?

• southerncrafter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Alto's Quilt Cut II is 200.00 - Looks so big. Is it worth it? I am so bad at cutting.

• imrainey
    14 years ago

What's the part you don't feel you're good at? Can we help you adapt your methods so you save some money?

• southerncrafter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i just cant cut a straight line, I own one ruler a few square rulers. What cheap alternatives can I use?

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Really I don't think there's anything that works much better than a ruler, a cutting mat and a rotary cutter. It's fast, accurate and provides stadardized pieces so all seams line up just right.

If you are already use a rotary cutter and "can't cut a straight line", maybe you should try it on a different height table. If you can find a lower table you might find you can be more accurate.

I don't think the Accuquilt cutters are worth it and believe you would end up with it sitting on a shelf. I've seen them demo'd at quilt shows and just don't see that it would be useful at all unless you do mostly oddly shaped cuts. If your pieces have straight lines, of any angle, then a ruler and rotary are the way to go IMHO* (*in my humble opinion).

Like imrainey says, maybe if you tell us what problems you're having we can offer suggestions to help.

Kate

• southerncrafter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well i need something lol. I cut my fingers with the rotary all the time :(

LOL

• karpet
    14 years ago

Southerncrafter - you may love the Fiskars all-in-one rotary cutting ruler. They stopped manufacturing them a couple years ago, but Walmarts that still have fabric departments and Joann stores are still selling off their remaining inventory for $27 to $35. I was given one several years ago and was not sure I would like it because I was used to my ruler and hand-held rotary cutter, but I love it. I have another stored under my bed in case mine gives up the ghost. You press down on the cutter, so there is no danger of cutting your finger, and the ruler has no-slip strips under the cutter so your strips are straight. So it should be a less-expensive way to cut straighter and safer. Quilters really have not embraced this product over all, but I love it.
    Karlene

Here is a link that might be useful: example of one

• imrainey
    14 years ago

Working on a lower table is a good suggestion.

Having the right size rulers helps a lot too. You want one long enough for the job but having one that's not too long is also helpful because you can manipulate it and hold it more easily and it won't be getting in your way. Sometimes it also helps to measure with one and then butt another one up to it for cutting.

The Olfa frosted ones slip less than slick shiny ones. I'm sure other companies make grippy ones too. You can make any ruler you already have more slip resistant by putting a tiny piece of very fine sandpaper on the corners of slippy rulers to make them grip the fabric. A bit of double stick tape will also do the trick to reduce slippage.

Hold the ruler with firm pressure with a spread hand -- left hand if you're going to cut with your right, right if you're going to cut with your left. But don't feel like you have to apply so much pressure that you're not relaxed and ready to focus on your cutting hand.

A sharp blade in your rotary cutter probably makes more difference than anything else. If you're pressing really hard to try to compensate for nicks in the blade, the chances of getting a slip increase greatly. Make sure you have the right size cutter too -- for long straight cuts, use the 60mm cutter. The smaller ones are for curvier and fussier cuts. ALWAYS put the guard in place before you put your cutter down so that you will never pick up one with an exposed blade. There's no reason to cut yourself if you stop and approach the cutter consciously. And those are nasty cuts that I bet you're nervous about if you've had a couple of them!

ALWAYS cut away from your body. Olfa says to cut to your hand on the ruler and then move your hand and cut again without lifting the blade. I disagree, personally. I cut with one smooth cut. NOT saying the ruler never slips but it's usually minor and I can square up and make another cut without much waste. Also, use the edge of the ruler -- butt your blade right up to it and let it ride against the side of the ruler. Sometimes I get a shadow or something in my field of vision and I think I've had a slip because I'm not trusting the tools and my own kinetic feelings as I cut. When that happens and I try to make some correction, that's when I screw up. ;>

There are also removable neon colored tapes that you can put on your ruler so that you are very clear where your measuring line is and, so, your cutting line.

If all that doesn't help, sometimes it works to fold your fabric from center point to selvage, carefully align selvages on a line on your mat and square it up. Then you can make shorter cuts. The thing about that is your folding and your laying the fabric out have to be meticulous so you don't end up with the wave in your extended strips.

Hope something there helps. You could save a lot of money for buying more fabric and batting. ;>

• love2sew
    14 years ago

It really scares me to hear you have had "near cuts" from your cutter. If you feel unsure, you can buy safety gloves and I have a pair that also work good for quilting. I wear mine often, especially when I cut through multiple layers.

When I first started quilting, I had trouble controlling my ruler (6x24) when I cut and would cut crooked. I got some static cling specially for rulers at a quilt shop and that really helped me gain control.

It takes some practice on cutting. The suggestions above are all very good and should be checked out.

I agree that the Accuquilt is too expensive. I know one quilter that uses one but she makes quilts to sell on Etsy.
    She can cut a lap size quilt in 20 min.
    Jean

• imrainey
    14 years ago

I found this neat tutorial with good pix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rotary Cutting Tips

• southerncrafter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you all but i think I may just buy the go cutter, accuquilt one of these days. I like the ease of it. Seems easier and faster. for me. :)

• imrainey
    14 years ago

You should do what you think makes sewing better and more fun. ;>

Just investigate that Alto's cutter before you make your final decision. It looks much more versatile.