SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
l_mtl

Soundproofing a room: has anyone done it?

l_mtl
17 years ago

I recently bought a semi-detached house (2 stories + basement; one common wall with the neighbor). While I am going through a major remodeling project (fixer upper), I want to make sure I soundproof the common wall. After a few weeks in there, I know it needs it...

I've read about everything that there was to read on the web about soundproofing. Most people give advice on how to soundproof, rep push their products, or people are looking for ways to soundproof their walls. I made a list of potential ways to soundproof, but I have difficulties selecting the best alternative :

- building a new wall

- QuietRock

- GreenGlue

- Resilient channel

- Homasote

- insulation batts

- or any combination of these techniques/products

Now, I would like to hear about the first-hand experience of home owners who have actually soundproofed an existing room/house from the noice of their neighbors.

Would you share with us what techniques/products you selected, why you selected it and how satisfied you are with the results? The Web raves about the potential of QuietRock and GreenGlue, but has anyone actually used them? What were the results?

Soundproofing costs a lot (floor space and $$$), I want to make sure I select the best alternative.

Thanks,

L.

Comments (10)