SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schutz2106

Putting a header above trusses or inbetween trusses

schutz2106
15 years ago

I have a 1978 ranch style house. Right now the living room and kitchen are seperated by a 8x4 ft pantry with a 8 ft header on each side with one header thats over a 2x4 wall above block basement and other side is over a 2x6 double header above an opening leading down torwards hallway. I want the space opened up with a flat ceiling. I know the trusses were not factory made but are designed the same. I have had 1 gc tell me that he would put a header up above the trusses to span the difference. I have had another gc want to put a double lvl in between the trusses to span the area. (Cutting out 3" and sliding the header in and attached to each side using hangers.) Hopefully I can paste my diagram to this site somehow because I know this can be confusing trying to fiqure it out. I dont know which way is better and to put a header up there and am concerned which way I should go. and I cant fiqure out how to post my diagram that I created so if anyone would like to look at it I would gladly send it to them. thanks

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH