SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Introduction: New Homeowner

bookjunky4life
14 years ago

I have a feeling I may be needing this forum soon. I usually hang out in the gardening forums. However, through some unfortunate circumstances (a break-up), I have purchased a house that will need some basic remodeling.

Every room will have to be retrimmed--base, ceiling, and door and window trim. Every room will have to be repainted, and most of the rooms have textured spray on paint.

I will eventually have to replace the floor in the kitchen as it appears there has been some water damage under the sink (whole bottom or the cabinet needs replaced) and at the water line that runs into the fridge. Its a continuous wood laminate floor throughout the kitchen, living room, dining room, hallway, and bathroom. I would like to put heavy duty linoleum that looks like ceramic tiles in the kitchen. However, I have no idea how you would cut out part of a continuous wood laminate floor.

The bathroom has had a larger shower/tub unit taken out and a smaller one put in. It will need retrimmed, and some kind of trim put around the the top of the shower where it meets the drywall, and along the bottom where it meets the laminate. The whole room will need repainted. I would also like to put some kind of tile along the drywall on the top to prevent water splashing up there causing mold. Also, I don't believe there is any sucker upper thing for venting to the outside in the bathroom. I believe these are important to reduce moisture in the house.

In the kitchen aside from the water damage issue, I will need to install a backsplash (correct term?) behind the stove and a new overhead ventilater thing. Is it pointless to have an overhead ventilater thing that does not vent to the outside?

Currently, all the trim in the house looks like it was lumber they routered themselves. A lot of it does not fit solid or has big knot holes in it, or is just plain busted (window shelves), or there the trim is not finished out. It has been suggested that I use composite wood trim, as I do like the look of the wood grain against the drywall. I like the idea that the composite will not warp.

Also, there is some flashing/vinyl siding that needs repaired. The front french doors were removed and replaced with smaller ones so there is the extra frame part on the outside that has no siding. The corner piece of siding by the front walkway corner is all busted and duck taped. All the siding on both sides will have to be taken down to replace that one piece. (I know because my dogs chewed my bf's same piece!)

Its questionable whether the bottom part of the drywall in the laundry room is molded beyond hope or just needs cleaned and Killz put on it and repainted. There is no trim at all in the laundry room and the inside of the door frame is nto trimmed out.

Can you tell I'm a freak about trim?!

Photos of Inside:

View of front french doors (see seal not good bottom middle of doors) and living room window.

Living room

Kitchen - damage from water line

Kitchen

Back french doors and back deck.

washer/dryer hookup in laundrey room - can you see moldy drywall?

one of the 10x12 bedrooms

The other 10x12 bedroom

the 12x20 bedroom (mine) loving the paint, ugh!

10x10 bedroom - has a toilet in other corner, room is carpeted, that toilet will have to come out.

Hallway - door opens to little wood stairs at end of house. thought might build a sunroom off that end someday?!

Water heater on right in laundry room - any idea what the blue thing is?! something to do with well pump maybe?! again moldy drywall.

right half of Bathroom

Comments (4)