SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southernstitcher

Could be the final plan, would you take a look, please?

southernstitcher
15 years ago

It took me a while to get the hang of the BHG Interior Design program, and then once I did, it died on me, so I had to finish with MS Paint. Grrr! But, as I'm just wearing out trying to come up with plans and very weary of the bugs in this program, I've settled on this. One more look and an opinion are so appreciated.

Things you need to know:

The sink and the windows wonÂt be moved or modified. The junk area and wall oven can totally go, but not the wall behind that.

The main two countertop runs are 14' on one side and 16' on the other side. The kitchen is 10' wide, with 6' walking room between the two counters.

I could have knocked down all the walls, but due to stuff I wonÂt bore you with, IÂm limited to the present kitchen area.

We arenÂt selling any time soon, and the cabinets will be custom. Microwave will go in a special upper, and although I love a wall oven, I just as soon keep my current config as try to squeeze one in. I think a range as someone suggested previously is the best way to go. Thanks to buehl, I tested the undercounter mount ovens and she is right - way too low for me.

The doorway leading to the DR is my latest concession-- we really donÂt want to remove it, but I get a better layout without it. I like seeing the DR from the kitchen, and IÂve been trying to keep the door closed to see how I feel about that. Except for the occasional guests, and holidays, the DR mostly goes unused, but it hold my precious inherited antiques.

If I close in that doorway, we will have to walk all the way around the built in to access the kitchen from the DR, which is DHÂs main complaint.

I could try to use the buffet to serve all the food and drink from - but there's barely enough room for one person to stand at the buffet with someone seated at the table. Sigh. The furniture in the DR is barely acceptable in regards to how it's spaced, but it does actually seat everyone okay.

What would you do? Keep the easy access, or enclose the door? Is there a better plan with or without the door?

One other question -- should the range be free standing or built in? Advantages to either?

PRESENTLY - 24" pantry is on the end of the cooktop run across from the fridge, I forgot to label it.

THE FUTURE PLAN - The Range would be centered, I messed up.

Comments (12)