SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorettaf_gw

Choo-choo train quilt--first attempt at freemotion quilting!

LorettaF
16 years ago

My granddaughter will be 1 next month so I made her this quilt for her birthday.

It is an exact replica of one that was given to use when our oldest was little. That one is all worn out and has been patched. Since both of my grown kids wanted the original quilt, I had a friend who does excellent applique make a pattern from the old quilt and make two new quilt tops to look exactly like the original.

I don't have a picture of the original, but it looks just like this one...only very, very faded! Also, the original is tied with embroidery thread and I free-motion quilted this one...my FIRST attempt at FM quilting!

Comments (23)

• nana24
    16 years ago

Loretta,
    What an absolutely darling quilt!
    Good job on your FM; I haven't gotten the courage to try that yet.
    I like your label also.

TFS
    Sally

• gerizone5
    16 years ago

That is adorable and great work on the FM. I just can't get it yet.

Geri

• foxxigrani
    16 years ago

Loretta, what an absolutely darling quilt, your FM is pretty good too. I am to chicken to try. Good for you.

Rita

• love2sew
    16 years ago

That is such a cute quilt and I love the striped backing and fancy stitches on your label. Very nice quilting. Your sons will love your dearly for the special work you have done on the quilt.
    Jean

• LorettaF
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for the kind comments!

I had practiced FMQ on small sandwiches everyday for a week before taking the plunge on this quilt. I figured...WTH, it was now or never! And I didn't figure that the baby would make too many complaints about it! LOL

I also used Superior Bottom Line 60 wt. thread for both the top and bobbin threads. Because they are so thin, they are hardly noticable at all...thus making the mistakes not noticable without bifocals! ;-) (I highly recommend it to make your FMQ look good until it really DOES look good! LOL)

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

It is wonderful that both your children will have the quilt of their childhood memories. You did a great job.

Vicky

• kathryni
    16 years ago

Your quilt is so delightful! Your FMQ is really nice also. I haven't gotten the courage to try it yet but you have given me inspiration.
    Kay

• amcofar
    16 years ago

That quilt is adorable! Terrific job!

• wanda_va
    16 years ago

That is soooo precious! You did a great job on it. What a wonderful gift for a grandbaby, and I know she will love carrying her choo-choo quilt around. Thanks for sharing.

• redpenny
    16 years ago

I bet the family is pleased it look exactly like the original one they had great job!
    Red.

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Your quilting looks great. That quilt is just adorable. The smiley face on that locomotive is so cute.

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

How cute!!!

Don't lose the pattern. You may need to make another set of duplicates 20-30 years from now.

• stitcheasy2003
    16 years ago

hi
    that is lovely.

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

That's great and so is the FMQ.I havn't mastered that yet.TFS
    Kathi

• lynn06
    16 years ago

That is soooo cute. Your little granddaughter is going to love her quilt. I think you did a great job with the FMQ. I haven't been brave enough to try yet.
    Lynn in MN

• bopeep
    16 years ago

The quilt is really beautiful !!!!
    You did a great job !!!!
    I am sure your family is real proud for you and the quilt !
    bopeep

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Bringing this back to the top for Jen.....don't know how in the world I missed seeing this the first time around! This choo-choo is really cute!

SharonG/FL-IN-MI

• day2day
    15 years ago

I missed it too, although I don't know how. It's just adorable. Love the heart 'smoke puffs', the stripey fabric, the engine happy face, the heart on the wheel . It's wonderful.
    ~Geraldine

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Look at that adorable face!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have tried FMQ and I thank you for the tip on the thread, I am going to look for it.
    Beautiful quilt.
    Rosa

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Nice job! I'm so glad that you took the plunge and did your own quilting.

Annie

• biwako_of_abi
    15 years ago

Oh, I remember this one! It's so cute!

• laurainsdca
    15 years ago

How darned cute! I love the ric-rak train tracks too. And what a great way to create/carry on the family train quilt for baby tradition!!!!

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

What a darling quilt! And such a neat idea to reproduce your own children's old favorite. Great job on the FM as well.

Bonnie