SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

Two problems at kids' soccer ...

joann23456
11 years ago

My niece plays on a soccer team. She loves it, we love to watch her, we like the other parents. Just a couple of problems that I'd like to hear how you all would handle:

1. One of the mothers is LOUD. No, even louder than that.:) Nothing abusive, just stuff like, "Great job, Julia." "Go get it, Alison." But constant, and always at high volume.

I have asked her not to stand behind me and yell, because it's just too loud. She moves and tries to keep it down for awhile, but then she seems to forget herself and starts right up again. But other parents just move away. It was especially evident at last week's game, when every single parent except my sister and me moved away from her, without saying anything.

This is a bit of a dilemma, because we enjoy sitting with all the other parents. But I don't want to walk away and leave the loud woman alone. She's very nice, although she is definitely odd. (But I generally get along well with odd people.:)

2. My niece is a really good soccer player, one of the best on her team. She can play every position well, including goalie, but she hates to play goalie. Actually, none of the girls like playing goalie, though a few are more willing to play. My sister has told both the coach and the assistant coach that my niece doesn't like playing goalie, and that she's willing to do her fair share, but to please not ask her to play more than that. My niece has also said that.

So, we have a tournament this weekend, four games. After last week's game, the assistant coach had 5 out of the 10 girls draw to see who would play goalie, and then had my niece and two of the other good players draw a second time.

My sister was furious, and I do understand why. Five of the girls don't even have to take a turn at all. With two of them, I am sure it's because they're such poor players, but the other three could play a half-game, just like the other five girls.

My sister approached the assistant coach, who said he'd asked my niece to play two halves because she was so good. He also mentioned that two of the girls who didn't have to draw lots, "Never play goalie." To which my sister replied, "Well, then maybe they should start." The assistant coach eventually agreed that my niece could play just one half-game, which is fair.

I'm conflicted about this. I don't feel as strongly as my sister, and I probably wouldn't have said anything, because I figure she should play where they need her. But my sister correctly noted that in the past, when my niece didn't actively protest, she was scheduled for a half-game as goalie nearly every game. She hated it.

So what do you all think about this stuff?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio