SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliberry

What can I do with this 'hole in the wall'?

12 years ago

Hello there. My husband & I just purchased a new home, and the family room has a nook in the wall (see below), and we're trying to figure out how best to use the space without breaking the bank.

The model home had a custom built-in entertainment center (shown below) which we won't be able to afford, and we're planning on putting the tv above the fireplace -- have any of you turned a space like this into a nice display area? We were thinking of keeping it simple by having some shelves built in, maybe some cabinets on the bottom row to hide things like dvd player/cable box, etc...

How many shelves would you put in, and would you space them equally with some variation? How would you decorate this space? Would you paint the interior a contrasting color?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

"hole in the wall"

{{!gwi}}

model home:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (20)

• 12 years ago

in a house we once owned there was an alcove in the family room-open down to the floor. we put our large (not flat screen at that time!!) in there and then hung 3 glass shelves (~ 3/8's inch)to fit the spot...it was perfect for us! that would be a relatively inexpensive way to handle that area---though what you put there would be on display for all to see...

• 12 years ago

Can you do it yourself? Shelves and trim would not add up to a lot and it would look built in. Bead board or mirror (Candice did it again yesterday) on the back wall would make it look even more built in. Hiding the components is always best, but highly impractical, we have discovered. The doors are ALWAYS open so what is the point?? Why do these people put fireplaces to the side? I live with one and it is a pain to deal with the wall on ONE SIDE!

• 12 years ago

I would have a carpenter come in and build in shelves with some moldings, even if not as detailed as the one in the model home. Until then I would not paint it a contrasting color! If you have a console table that would fit in the alcove ( it looks 5 or 6 ft wide so a typical 4 ft wide console would fit with room to spare) I would put it there and hang a large painting over it (if you have one) or a nice arrangement of smaller things. But my long term plan would still be a built-in bookcase.

• 12 years ago

Have you gotten any estimates on having something custom built? It might not be as expensive as you think. We had some custom bookshelves built in to the family room and it turned out to cost LESS than buying something at a furniture store would have. If you haven't already, I'd at least check out cost before dismissing it totally.

But if you're on a budget where you simply can't afford to spend anything except a nominal amount, I'd probably go with some glass shelves temporarily, with an eye toward something permanent and built in down the road. I think you can get glass shelves fairly cheaply and you can probably install them yourselves.

Hiding the components is always best, but highly impractical, we have discovered. The doors are ALWAYS open so what is the point??
    Get one of those receiver remotes which goes through wood. I have one and it's great. The only time I open the doors is to change the dvd but then I close it back up. No open doors.

• 12 years ago

I agree that you should look into a carpenter building some
    shelves for you with some trim around the outside. The builders always charge SO MUCH MORE than a regular carpenter would.

• 12 years ago

Definitely get it finished. It looks unfinished and will always bug you no matter how you try to use the space. I would certainly get an estimate from a carpenter and also take some measurements and browse through the big box stores. I'm thinking stock cabinets on bottom and wooden shelves with trim to look built in. You could paint white to match your mantel and but a slightly different color or texture (beadboard) along the back.

• 12 years ago

Yes -- excellent suggestions above!

Do have a number of estimates from local carpenters (after you have carefully measured it all yourselves!) for a simple set of shelves -- and a set of doors to cover the bottom shelves. (very good point above about finding a receiver with a signal that can go through wood!)

Having several estimates ALWAYS helps you to make more informed decisions -- because you have SOME idea of prices PLUS you can ask LOTS of questions about HOW they plan to do it all. Information always helps!

For NOW (if you want to take some time and save up for a more custom look) you could simply add a couple of painted wood shelves at the bottom for the components and then hang or lean a large artwork or print above them.

• 12 years ago

Any reason you don't want to put the TV there?

Anyway, I prefer the hole to what the model house has! That's too busy and bulky a shrine to the TV to be next to a fireplace. And it really IS an elegant fireplace.

I'd be tempted to install a counter on the bottom--nicely edged wood or stone or tile--plop down the components, and hang the TV there. Maybe some artwork in the remaining space. But I think less is better. Make the fireplace be the wall anchor, and just happen to have a TV next to it. A fitted panel of painted plywood or beadboard or luan with some blocks to hold it off the wall slightly can be used to cover up the cables if they bug you.

If/when you install shelving and doors, paint them gently, like the woodwork around the windows. Don't do something dark and imposing like the model home's.

And when you figure it out, come back and do something with my stupid TV hole, because I'm stuck. :)

But, if you go with the TV-over-the-fireplace plan, I'd put in a bench cushion and some wall art. Put the components in the fireplace or to the left.

• 12 years ago

I say DIY. A lot depends on your style... but I can tell you what I'd do. Shelves above, cabinets below. Can you provide the dimensions of the nook? I'd say go to one of the big box stores, buy 3 or 5 (I like odd numbers) of 12"x 10' unfinished wood, cut to width of nook. Buy unfinished cabinets in the necessary width height. (we just bought Continental Cabinets in Oak for approx. $150 at Lowes). I'd beadboard the back. Install shelves. Install cabinets. Apply trip to front of shelves and around the perimeter. Then paint it all white. White paint + caulk covers a multitude of mistakes. ;)

• 12 years ago

If you put your TV over your fireplace, won't you have a glare from the window? I would hang your flat screen TV in the nook, put 2 shelves on the bottom and put your components there...with a painted peice of thin board to hide the cables. Keep it simple. IF you still want to put your TV over the fireplace, then I would put a cushion in the niche, with some comfy pillows and a big peice of art above. Your components would have to set on the mantel.

• 12 years ago

If you are going to put the TV above the fireplace you could always just hire someone to wall it over and make it just a flat wall.

• 12 years ago

I'd put the TV there, too. And wait until I could afford the nifty builtins.
    Casey

• 12 years ago

Looks like you need some baseboard mouldings also

• 12 years ago

How bizarre! So everyone ends up with this "hole" unless they fork over the bucks for the entertainment center? That would've ticked me off big time.

• 12 years ago

I think the baseboards go on after the floor. :)

• 12 years ago

Try Ikea for a shelf and cabinets that can fit in there. Molding can hide if you are slightly off on the sides if you want a built in look.
    I'd do similar to what most said: a shelf on top, cabs on bottom (or a piece of furniture) with a wall mount tv just below the shelf. The cab top forms a shelf too (either painted or stained wood or a counter type shelf).
    I'd do a darker color behind the tv and lighter cabs & shelf. The tv will stand out less against a darker backdrop (not very dark, just a shade or 2 darker than the rest). For example, if your walls are as dark as say a "4", paint the cabs and shelf in that color and go darker to a "6" in the background.If you do molding, have it match the room's other trim.
    Your final result will probably look better than the builder option and cost waaaay less ;)
    BTW - Lowes sells covers to hide cords that are paintable so they disappear into the wall visually.

• 12 years ago

Wow what wonderful suggestions -- thank you!! I was very annoyed that my builder wouldn't just do a flat wall, but now I'm actually looking forward to having some shelves "built in".

AZWildcats70 - Love the picture, and that is exactly my style. Love, love! Didn't know we could get all the parts from a big box, so that's a relief. what a great idea to use beadboards on the back and add moldings to the shelves. Would never have thought to do that!

Also great suggestion on the remote...yikes, another thing to add to the list!

Thanks again everyone!!!

• 12 years ago

It's not a "hole". It's a generous niche and will be an interesting and useful part of the room. :)

• 12 years ago

Well I have a totally different idea for what I'd want to do in that neat nook. I'd turn it into a cozy spot to read with nice thick boxed cushion, some toss pillows to lean against and a wall sconce and some framed art. Maybe even a narrow bookcase at one end to store all the goodies to read. It could be easy to do if a store bought narrow bookcase fit.
    Here's a very quick virtual:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 12 years ago

Caliberry, just push up to to the top for you to see another idea. I know it's not the best virtual, but.....