SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
binsp

What to do with a 'cookie-cutter' house?

B H
13 years ago

Our final plans to complete on the purchase of the house we were leasing fell through. It was a 1970s brick ranch that needed a LOT of help but had great bones. I got some great ideas here a few months ago and had actually started utilizing some ideas. LOL - our landlady better be grateful - we're leaving it in much better shape than in which we received it!

Now, it looks like we're moving to a master-planned community which will likely be our final landing place (crossing fingers). This was a little hard to swallow as DH & I have always lived in older neighborhoods in "character" homes. Our first was a 1929 Spanish Revival. Although only 1400sf, we could have lived there happily the rest of our lives.

We moved to Texas a couple of years ago & have been in limbo for various reasons. We've finally prioritized what is most important to us & our family and find ourselves moving into a great MPC with all the family-friendly amenities you could want.

The house we're going into for the coming year is a 1999 Perry Home with this floor plan. It's not quite as large as this one as our plan does not have the "sun room". Floor plan is linked below.

I honestly do not know what to do with this house (we have the option to buy it at the end of our lease) in terms of style, etc...

Everything we own is geared towards a Spanish Revival house (well, with the exception of the Ikea play kitchen, the neon Ikea children's tables & chairs, Disney Princess car, John Deere tractor, etc...).

Even with the house we're going to be leaving, it would have worked to keep our style while paying homage to more mid-century designs along the lines of Cliff May - again thanks to many here who reminded me of his influence on the California (Spanish) ranch!

With this new one, I just don't know what to do!

Most of our friends who live in similar neighborhoods with similar builds have done their homes in Tuscan or Pottery Barn style. No offense to anyone, but that's just not my style.

For anyone who lives in a similar style house/community, what have you done to make your home uniquely yours?

Would love to read what you've done AND see photos. While a good price and finding that we really like living in this neighborhood will definitely trump "Binsd's need to have a house more akin to her style", having some ideas will make me feel better. :p

Not that it matters in this discussion, the house has a fairly large property - 1/4 acre - for a relatively small house in a typical newer MPC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perry Home

Comments (21)