SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolek_gw

Displaying quilts

carolek
15 years ago

I was talking to an avid quilter (50 quilts) the other day and learned that she displayed at least three quilts in every room of her house.

So I thought it might be interesting to poll the forum on how and where you display your quilts (of all sizes) and how and where you store the ones you don't display.

I store my special quilts in a cedar chest and the older ones folded on a shelf in the linen closet. I display only one because it fits in with our Southwest style home. I take the special quilts out to share from to time to time with friends or to just to look at myself. I have only seven of the quilts I've made over the years.

Carole

Comments (24)

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

I always have 8 displayed. 3 on the living room walls, 1 over the banister, 1 high up on the split-foyer wall. Then I have one small 1 (the only hand-quilted one I have) on my bedroom wall and 1 larger hanging over the bed in my room.

I usually have 1 seasonal one on my bed (but I got bored and now it's just a bedspread). Plus both my kids each have one on their beds, and about 4 more that they play with.

I have some Halloween & Christmas ones that come out for those seasons and might replace or add to those already hanging.

The larger bed size ones that aren't used are folded on my closet shelf, and smaller ones are in a cedar chest in my room. The unfinished ones are hanging around in my sewing room. LOL

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

In my living room I have a decorative curtain rod in an alcove next to the fireplace and behind the tv. On this rod I display a rotation of my Round Robin quilts that all fit there perfectly. In my bedroom behind the head of my bed (and covering a west facing window) I have my first quilt, a blue and yellow "sunny" windows.

I have a blue and yellow row quilt that will go in my kitchen when I get it painted.

Our current Round Robin project involves blocks; I asked for 8" blocks and will make a square table topper that will go on my round/oval dining table.

My first paper pieced project hangs in my sewing room/quilt studio.

I still want to make a quilted curtain (no batting or thin flannel as batting) to hang on a glass paneled door that leads from the living room down the hall - to help lessen the noise from all the wood floors.

Other quilts are folded on a quilt rack in my bedroom.

• Related Discussions

What color thread to quilt with?

Q

Comments (12)
    As a longarmer, I want to caution you about using the B&W varigated thread. If you quilt with B&W thread on black fabric you won't see the black thread and you will get a splotchy (start and stop) look where the white thread lands. Same for using this on white fabric, black thread will show, white will not. If you like that effect then use it, just be aware of the look. Personally I don't like it. It makes the quilt look like something is wrong. You might make a small quilt with black strips and white strips of fabric and quilt that with the B&W thread before doing it on your quilt. Since you are 'stitching in the ditch', or so it sounds, you can always change threads to match the fabric seam you are working on.
    ...See More

My first quilt shop hop and also Quilts and Vines

Q

Comments (3)
    I've not had a winearitas before, sounds interesting! I love the idea of quilting and wine (also 2 of my favorites). Of course, I can't do them at the same time (don't ask how I know!!).
    ...See More

How do you feel about this?

Q

Comments (9)
    My quilt shop owner is part of the chamber of commerce, but for some reason they did not select her to be in charge. I'm afraid they are too poor to buy proper display pieces and it is not on their priority list. I haven't decided what I will do. Most of the shows I've been in have had proper equipment. All my quilts have sleeves. I have a pole, but no pieces for them to rest on. I had hooks mounted outside so I could display the quilts I made for photo taking. Maybe stands could be a project for my husband for my birthday. I'm not sure how the Chamber would feel about my bringing my stands to show my quilt--I think that would be offensive to them and rightly so. I have to be careful I'm the newbie here. My friend said she would see if she could get a full display for me. I'm going to use that comparison to paintings. This is a big art oriented town with a national competition.
    ...See More

quilt pic...3-in-1

Q

Comments (2)
    I would love to take a class on making illusion quilts.
    ...See More
  • calliope
    15 years ago

I have two put away in a chest I inherited from my mother......her's made in the sixties, and my g'mothers, quite old I suspect. But I don't have any on display, other than the ones I really do use everyday on my beds. I would also like to make some quilted curtains. Our 200 year old house has only one 'real' closet in it and that a foot deep one in the master bedroom. We do have some built into the inglenooks to the side of the fireplaces in each room, however, and they have curtains them instead of doors, since they are large and not to standard size. I'd like to replace the curtains in at least one bedroom to a quilted panel, and maybe do a bed quilt and curtain panels to match.

• gerizone5
    15 years ago

I have about three hanging over the bannister. I just put one on my kitchen table ( I always take it off when we eat and there's just the two of us so no big deal) I have a treadle machine that I just use for display and there is a quilt on that one in my dining room. My dining room table cloth is a quilted one. I also have one hanging on a rack above my bed and the other two beds in the house have quilts on them. I have an old one hanging in my entranceway and one hanging on my kitchen door which has a window in it. I also have seasonal wall hangings that I bring out for the seasons. Also have quilts hanging on the back of couches--one which I use every night. My family tree quilt is hanging in front of the entertaiment center where the TV is supposed to go but is not there. That quilt is on a curtain rod. Sounds like it's the house of quilts doesen't it? I also have a couple of lap quilts just folded on a shelf in a bedroom and a couple of junky ones out on the front porch.

• carolek
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd like to hear more about your family tree quilt?

]I forgot to mention that my displayed quilt is hung from a wooden pole resting on drapery holders in the foyer. By chance the tribal rug in front of it picks up all the main colors in the quilt. Carole

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

I have a hand quilted one that is folded over the back of a rocker in the living room.
    The others are in a chest and a closet until cooler weather.
    I use my quilts except for my first hand quilted whole cloth that was awarded a second place ribbon. I have used it for company and it has been washed several times but I now take it out and let it breath and then refold and back into the closet.
    I love quilts I don't know why I do not display more.
    Rosa

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

I have only one full sized quilt which I have folded over the back of the sofa, all others have a home elsewhere. I have 9 or 10 wall hangings rolled up and stored in a closit. They are left over from when I used to sell them. Occasionally I take them out and look at them. I have given several to my Grandchildren who raffle them or sell them for their personal causes. If I ever finish the tops I have folded in my sewing room I'll have a few more but probably wont keep them either except for my BDB quilt which I plan on using myself. Jayne

• grammyp
    15 years ago

I have 2 on the stair banister, and one on the quilt (not really for display, just to use). From time to time some others show up on chairs or the foot of the bed. I keep some on the beds, but they are under the spread (does that count).

beverly

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I have 3 I use on our bed (one of them just for the Holidays between Thanksgiving and New Years), 2 I use on the guest bed, 1 we use on the sofa and 2 that are sometimes used on the backs of chairs and sometimes used as table toppers. I've just finished one we plan to display on the family room wall and I have the first wall quilt I even made on the wall over my sewing machine. For years it was on the wall in my office but when I changed jobs I brought it home and now it seems very happy where it is.
    Kate

• nana24
    15 years ago

I have several wall hangings in my sewing room, one in my kitchen, one in a hallway and one in my washroom. The one in the hallway is probably the largest (@45inches sq.);the smallest is 12" sq. in my sewing room. I have a quilt throw size that stays on a chair ;I made it for my DH. I have a quillow that also is always out-hardly ever in the same place. Most of my bed sized quilts, 3 wedding presents, one I bought many years ago for an elderly lady, and a couple others I've collected over the years are in the closet. They have been well used over the years. I have made lots of baby quilts and given them away. I have a few tops that need quilting.

I'd like to display more but have not thought how. I want to hang one in a guest bedroom. Maybe that will become a project. I grew up like grammyp said hers are-we had quilts on every bed but they were under the bedspread.

I mostly like small things because I get them finished. :)

Sally

• bluebars
    15 years ago

One quilt hangs in the hallway at the top of the stairs.
    One hangs on my bedroom wall.
    The guest room has 2 on the walls.
    The rest are stored flat on the guest bed, where the room is kept dark.
    Two antique quilts are in acid free storage boxes kept under the bed.
    Whatever I am working on hangs on the stairway bannister.
    One small quilt hangs on the wall in my living room, but the bright light there (not sunny, just bright western exposure) has already faded several of the fabrics.
    If I have guests who might appreciate quilts, I put them everywhere, folded or draped over furniture or on racks.
    BlueBars

• laurainsdca
    15 years ago

It has been interesting reading how everyone displays their quilts. I don't have too many yet, not that I have kept. Right now I have one -- my cow quilt -- across the back of the couch in our living room. It looks nice but it's really not the style I want for that room -- it's more protecting the couch from dogs right now! I hope to make one specifically for that room some day.

I have a butterfly quilt I fold and leave over the back of a chair or on a couch to display -- that's it so far.

But -- I have a dream! We have a sectional couch that has a square area with no back at one end. I don't see anyone sitting there. I'm thinking as I make quilts I can fold and stack them there. Then they will always be handy and if someone is interested they can look through the stack.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Table runners all over the place, my gt-grandmother's hand quilted flour sack quilt hung behind my bed. Most of mine are big, so there are some not-so-great quilts on the couch for snuggling--we have dogs so nothing very nice goes there, and the rest are on beds where they belong. 8^) I do have a round robin quilt that I'll be hanging in the living room. In fact, I'll probably work on that tomorrow as I have a church group coming on Thursday to see my sewing machine collection and studio.

Annie

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

All of our beds have quilts on them. One on display in the living room on a quilt rack. I have a denim/flannel rag quilt that hangs out on the couch for snuggling under. None completed in storage as I have only been at this for less than 3 years, but a couple of tops that need to be completed. Then I will probably start rotating on the quilt rack when I get bored of looking at the same one. I think it would be neat to hang one behind the bed. I have a wall hanging in the bedroom. My daughter has several that she plays with.

Wait, I do have one in storage! My first quilt (15 years ago) that I loathe and don't even like to pull it out and look at it. If I didn't make it for my DH when we were dating, I would probably send it to Goodwill.

Rebecca

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Hmmm, I display one on my bed, one on the guest bed. I do have several quilts for each bed, and I rotate them seasonally.

I don't do wall hangings, but that's because I don't really have an appropriate wall surface for them. If someone requested on, I would certainly do it. I also don't do table runners or tablecloths either. I prefer a clean, bare look on my table.

It surprises every quilter I know that I quilt at all, LOL, because they see little evidence of my avocation in my house. They expect my house to be hung everywhere with quilts. Truth be told, I have very little hung on my walls at all - no family photos, no wall hangings - just a very few pieces of art.

But I LOVE, LOVE having enough quilts to change the look on my bed every few months.

That's all the displaying I feel any need to do.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Here's a picture of a Round Robin quilt that I made with five friends from Treadle On, an sewing machine collector's forum. I just got it hung today--doesn't it look wonderful?

• laurainsdca
    15 years ago

Whoaaaaaaa Annie! That is something else. Spectacular!!!!! Not to go too "off topic" in this thread -- but does each person in the Round Robin end up with an similar quilt? And which part did you do? (Or were you the quilter)

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Laura: Each of us made the center of our choice, in the colors we wanted. I was actually after a winter quilt for my bed, so I chose burgundy and hunter for my main colors. The center I pieced is the on-point feathered star. Then it went round the group, with each person adding a border and then back to me. I did my own quilting. Here's a link to show all the quilts in the group--they are all very different and beautiful in their own unique ways. I'll give the link to details of the quilting in a second post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Treadle On Round Robin

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Here's a shot of some of the quilting. To see more, go to the link below and take a look at the Round Robin Album.{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's webshots albums

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I've been trying to organize a group of friends into doing a round robin. These photos will either intimidate them or inspire them! Inspire, I hope! The quilting is just beautiful, Annie. You certainly have some amazing skills. I especially like the leafy quilting in the narrow green strip.

Kate

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Kate--If you can find a good group of quilters to work on it, it's a blast. We all had so much fun with it.

Annie

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Annie, your quilting is just to die for! I really enjoyed seeing all of the round-robin quilts. All of them were wonderful.

• bozogardener
    15 years ago

All of the round-robin quilts were stunning! Your group has amazing creativity.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

This group was great, plus we had a couple of gals who had hoped to participate and then couldn't so they served as springboards to bounce ideas off of. I think we all went to them at least once when we got in a creative jam!

Annie

Sponsored
Unparalleled Design & Dedicated to Quality in Franklin County, Ohio