SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danain

RECIPE: Chocolate Espresso French Toast

danain
18 years ago

This morning I tried a new recipe from the new Fine Cooking magazine and was awesome! It was Chocolate French Toast that I added instant espresso to. Also, I can't imagine how they tested this recipe because it called for only 4 slices of Challah bread but the amount of french toast mixture was plenty for 8 slices.

I'll be adding this to my next brunch!

{{!gwi}}

2/3 cup granulated sugar (I used 1/2 cup)

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa

1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (this was my addition)

1/8 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon table salt

1 cup whole milk

4 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

4 (1-inch thick) slices Challah bread (I used 8)

1/4 cup butter (I used maybe 1 teaspoon)

Confectioners sugar for garnish

In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa, instant espresso powder, baking powder and salt. Blend well so no cocoa lumps remain. Pour in about half of the milk and whisk until the mixture is a lump-free paste. Add the remaining milk, eggs and vanilla; whisk until well blended.

Dip bread slices into chocolate mixture and lay in a single on a jelly roll pan. Pour remaining chocolate mixture over bread and let soak, turning occasionally until all the batter is absorbed, about 10 minutes (original recipe called for 20 to 30 minutes).

Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the butter to melt then add the bread slices in a single layer. Cook until they look browned and lightly crisp, 4 or 5 minutes (reduce the temperature if the bread is browning too fast. Flip and continue to cook until lightly puffed in the center, another 4 or 5 minutes. Serve immediately dusted with confectioners sugar and serve with fresh fruit or maple syrup.

Marilyn

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions