SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizg_inmd

Glass Tile Accent with Porcelain Subway Tiles?

lizg_inmd
15 years ago

I am planning a backsplash of white ceramic subway tile in my white kitchen, but would like some kind of a colored accent tile to add a little color. I haven't been happy with the ceramic accent tiles I have found, and am thinking about using glass tile as the accent tile. For example, maybe this:

http://www.modwalls.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=316

I had in mind, for the wall area between cabinets and countertops, to arrange white subway tile in a brick pattern, and have a 1-inch thick line of the above running along the pattern, with one more line of white subway tile above it below the cabinets. Sort of like a thicker pencil tile, but with glass tiles instead of ceramic and combining several different colors.

Do you think this would work? Has anyone tried something like this and, if so, do you have pictures?? I would love to see something like this because if it would work, I think it might look really good! And also help me bring in that classic/modern combination I am looking for.

Also, any backsplash thoughts using a glass tile/white ceramic subway tile combination would be great, too. Thanks!!

Comments (21)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

HI lizg... white subway tile and a glass accent can be great combination. Part of the beauty of it is that really any color glass that will highlight your kitchen/granite/colors in adjoining family room... can work. The only thing I would suggest is that you don't use a 1/2 x1" glass tile for the accent if your using subway tiles (like 2x4 or 3x6). I'd suggest using a 1x1 glass accent. It helps to distinquish it more IMHO.

• tnorman
    15 years ago

Love that - very sharp! What type of countertop?

• Related Discussions

Modern bathroom almost complete - subway w glass tile accent

Q

Comments (4)
    foxy, are you still around? Oddly enough, for our next bath we're thinking of using the smaller Hollviken and Danze Parma, and here you are using the same things! (we have our big hollviken in our master bath and love it every day). Would you share your thoughts on how the Parma is holding up? Would you use it again, knowing how it's been so far? TIA -- hope you see this...OH, we're also using some mosaic tile accent in and amongst larger format tiles lol...I *swear* I wasn't intentionally copying :)
    ...See More

Photos of white subway tile accented with 'stripe' of glass tile

Q

Comments (1)
    @zinfanatic, looking for something similar! What'd you decide??
    ...See More

anybody done a mini-subways with glass tile accent?

Q

Comments (5)
    I second Emmie's suggestion of Susan Jablon Mosaics. I bought 1x3 glass subways from her and I LOVE them. They were also so much more reasonable than any tile I could find locally. My tile setters were really impressed with them. I thought I'd have to just use glass accents, but at her price, I decided that I could do the whole backsplash in glass. I'll try to post a picture if my camera ever surfaces from all of our still packed boxes.
    ...See More

Subway w/ glass accent tile

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks, boxerpups! You seem to be the photo queen around here and find awesome inspiration pics for everyone! Kudos to you! I was thinking of white subway tiles with a row or two of glass tiles of a different size, either 1x1, 2x2, or the long skinny (pencil?) tiles. Some of those pics got pretty close.
    ...See More
  • Christine Decker
    15 years ago

We used glass tile with white ceramic in our guest bath.

Here are some pics!
    I ordered them off ebay and have been very happy with them!
    christine

Our new guestbath!

• lizg_inmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

@Remodelfla, I agree with you. What I was thinking about was two 1/2 inch tiles together, to form a 1-inch strip.

@tnorman, that is an excellent question! I am really up in the air about countertop choice right now, and what I end up doing tile-wise might depend in large part on my countertop choice. I have been thinking a lot about carrara marble, because I love the way it looks, but now I'm feeling a bit skittish about it. I'm nervous about living with it given that it seems pretty maintenance- and care-intensive. I have to be honest with myself and admit that I am not really a get-up-every-spill-right-away kind of person, more a I'll-get-to-it-later kind of person (ie, after dinner and tv watching are over!) So, lately I have been thinking about veering sharply in another direction and considering a solid surface such as corian. I know they are two radically different choices but I have different reasons for considering each one. I dunno ... I have to decide soon, too ((sigh)).

@cdecker1, thanks so much for the pictues! That looks really nice. I like your cat, too :)

• lizg_inmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

@trav86, you must have been posting while I was posting! That is a great picture. It is so close to what I am considering, and it works so well. Is that marble on your countertops? Where did you buy the glass tile from? It is really nice to see that an idea I am considering looks so good!

• november
    15 years ago

We thought about doing this in our kids' bath, which we just remodeled. We didn't do it because we didn't plan it out right - the installer said they weren't the right type of tiles for the adhesive we had (mesh back on tiles would show through). For the kitchen, we're going to figure out how to do it (but with different colored glass tiles).

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

I used matte subways with a little shimmer of a glass, circular liner. My issue is that, I personally, think glass splashes are trendy, and in the not too far future will look dated, which is why I only used a thin liner in a neutral color. This way, it gives a classic look, and still won't look dated if glass is the odd item out sooner than later. Because there's only 16.5" of space between our counter and cabinets, I didn't want anything too thick to make the splash look cut in half which is also why we placed it low (suggestion of designer).

I was going to go with a pop of color liner, but in lieu of it looking dated soon, I went with a brown that will stand the test of time. I decided it was best to add my "pop of color" through accessories that can be changed down the road. Easier to do that than to replace a good looking & expensive splash, IMO.

Hope that makes sense.
    {{gwi:1589892}}

• dinajo
    15 years ago

debi2006,
    Love your tiles and granite countertop! Would you mind sharing what they are ? I especially love the glass ... very subtle and elegant.

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

dinajo:

Thank you. The glass liner is by Sonoma, their Tantrum line. Color is River. It's a crackled glass. Here's a closeup of the tile. It's a little darker in person than the pic.

The field tile is an Italian, matte, porcelain subway with a smooth surface. Unfortunately, I do not know the maufacturer. It has a light, marbling look to it that is difficult to see in the pic.

• lizg_inmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

@November, thanks for the picture! I'll look forward to seeing what colors you choose for the kitchen. I'm sure it will turn out great.
    @debi 2006, that looks really nice. You make a really good point too, about trends. That is one thing I am trying to avoid. My original thought was to use ceramic tile liner, but I have had a terrible time trying to find colors I like. I know I couldn't go wrong with a black liner, but I have that in both bathrooms (original) and it's not the look I envision for the kitchen. I have thought, too, about just using white tile with some kind of a finishing cap (and a white liner, maybe?) and leaving some wall paint exposed above the tile and under the cabinets (sort of like what jgarner53 did in her finished kitchen, but with white instead of black and no colored dots of tile). I just can't decide if that would work with white or does it require the black trim to look "finished." Hmmm, it's hard to make these decisions isn't it?

• joan_2007
    15 years ago

I'm just going with a couple of rows of 1x2 cream colored, matte ceramic tiles in a brick pattern, then a liner in bronze color to tie in with my granite and then another row of the 1x2 tiles and just painted wall above it.

But Debi_2006, is that tile or wood on the bottom of the window above your sink? I am wondering what to do with my window ledge which is only 5 inches above my sink. Just curios what yours is.

Thanks,

• trav86
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliment, lizg! We got the tile from Nemo tile in NYC (if you're not local, I think you can order from them on the internet, see link). Honed Carrara marble countertops (and Ikea cabinets, fyi).

Here is a link that might be useful: Nemo Tile

• highgrovemanor
    14 years ago

So has anyone seen pictures of alternatives besides a entire row of an accent tile? We have a 15 foot run that is very horizontal in nature, and I'm not that fond of having yet another horizontal line. But I REALLY would like an accent of some sort besides what is going over the stovetop in the middle.

I was at the tile store today, and 1 of the employees suggested randomly dropping a skinny row of mosiac between the subway tiles. We were looking at a noce 3x6, plus a polished scabos (matches granite well, and I don't like glass) mosiac. Interjecting the mosiac seems to really go against the spirit of doing a subway, but it could give an accent.

So is this mission impossible, and I should look at a more conventional tile pattern?

Any other ideas?

• lascatx
    14 years ago

I would have done it if I could have found the right shade of blue in glass -- or been comfortable that multi colored wouldn't be too contemporary for my house. I found a blue glass liner that would have cost more than all our subways and the installation. I didn't love it that much -- not for the kitchen anyway. When I get to redo our bathroom or the utility room, I hope to work in some glass tile.

• bellcrest
    14 years ago

We are doing a almond colour matte 3x6 subway tile with a glass accent. The glass tile is kind of a reddish carnival glass. it will be installed next week, I hope.

Our countertop is a beige speckled quartz (Silestone) I didn't want a busy backsplash. I will be posting finished kitchen photos soon if all goes to plan.

Here it is all laid out.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Our nearly finished kitchen

• mom2sethc
    14 years ago

Hello,

We had glass tile inserts added to an already existing plain ceramic tile backslash around our tub.

• lynda_baker
    14 years ago

We're doing a white on white kind of thing. I couldn't find a liner that I loved, and kept coming back to the glass tiles. I was worried about it being trendy, but I'm hoping the neutral colors will negate that!

So, we're doing a line of subway tiles, two rows of the glass tiles and then subway. Over the cooktop, we'll do 4x4 tiles and then individual glass tiles in the corners.

• whoknew
    14 years ago

I have been looking for porcelain subway tiles (3 x 6 or 6 x 12) to use in remodeling my bathroom. Can someone suggest a manufacturer and style? Thanks!

• Andrea W
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Looking for opinions on kitchen backsplash - white subway tile with band of blue glass, or is the blue too fussy for purposes of selling house? We already have the blue glass tile. If yes, then how high to place the band? I'm thinking just under the bottom of the upper cabinets might be interesting.

• Trem Wills
    6 years ago
    You will be better off starting a brand new dilemma. You will likely get more responses