SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Anyone familiar with flood plain issues?

chisue
13 years ago

We have a potential problem. The owner of a nearby lot that is largely in flood plain has proposed building a house on a foundation that retains water during floods, then discharges it. I'd never heard of such a thing. I don't think it will work in this situation. Actually, I'm hoping someone knows places the idea has failed!

Our house is across a waterway from this lot. It's slightly downstream from us. The proposal is for a 6000 sq ft brick two-story built on a five-foot high brick foundation. The foundation has swinging grids that accept water, retain it in the foundation, then release it as the flood ebbs. (No, I wouldn't build or buy this, but this is the proposal.)

I'm thinking about storms, when this normally shallow waterway is a torent. It's not just 'water', it's tree branches, animal remains, plastic, glass, all kinds of debris. I envision debris ramming into the foundation, damaging the house itself and/or forming a dam. Our house would flood. Neighboring houses up and downstream would flood. I can't imagine brick and mortar surviving long if constantly sitting IN water either.

The waterway was a small creek before it was dredged to about 15' depth in the late 1800's. It conveys stormwater south and eventually flows into the North Branch of the Chicago River.

Today this lot would not be saleable, but it was 20 years ago when the current owner foolishly bought it. He has been unable to build anything there and has been unable to sell it. He is now about 60 and owns a $4M home in town. I think the proposal is just an elaborate plan to get the city to stop taxing him on the 'lot'. However...we would suffer if the plan goes forward.

The lot owner says FEMA has conditionally approved this plan. It sounds as though FEMA will only DIS-approve it AFTER it's built and fails!

Any thoughts or ideas?

Comments (7)