SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Hummers, and Grosbeaks, and Purple Finches! Oh My!

caroline94535
14 years ago

We're getting birdy in Larimore, ND!

In spite of the cold, wet, dreary, and cloudy weather today, there was a lot of bird activity in the front yard. I had three "Firsts of the Season" bird sightings.

There's nothing blooming here except some tulips; the trees' leaves are barely budding, but still, I hung the nectar feeder and within 10 minutes had a male ruby-throated hummingbird! I put the nectar out for the finches and woodpeckers. The orioles aren't here yet and I just knew there wouldn't be any hummers. I was wrong!

Then I spied a female rose-breasted grosbeak working her way down the long hook to the BOSS feeder. I grabbed the binoculars and soon spied her brightly colored mate.

To top off the good luck, I also saw a male purple finch. We're overwhelmed with the duller house finches, but he was a bright happy streak of raspberry in the yard.

As of a couple hours ago, I still have three ASY male PMs, and one female. They've been very busy singing, playing musical gourds, and dashing out between rainy spells. They seem content with the site. Now to just get more females, and five more pairs.

Comments (14)