Hummers, and Grosbeaks, and Purple Finches! Oh My!
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (14)
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
Related Discussions
Purple Finches?
Comments (12)I think those are House Finches, Gil. Purple Finches are very red all over including the underside and the back just above the tails and a red wash throughout all the wing streaks. I've read them described as 'the whole bird looks like its been dipped in raspberry juice'. I have 3 males and several females at the moment in my yard and am hoping they stay around. Konrad, I'm fairly certain yours is also a House Finch as well. I find they vary greatly in the amount of red or orange present on the head, neck and breast. I have had a very special visitor the last couple of days - a European Goldfinch. I managed to get some poor quality photos today, mostly so I could ask the experts for ID which I got today. Gonna be trying to get a better photo, but in the meantime, this is what it looks like. Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of European Goldfinch...See MoreFinches at feeder???
Comments (6)I have never tried to discourage the finches. For many years, when I lived in Louisiana, I got finches at my feeders early in the Spring. Where I lived, I never got hummingbirds until around July 4. Around March or April the finches gave purpose to my efforts and enabled me to haves a hummer feeder available for the occasional migrating hummingbird. If I had not hung the feeders out in time, the finches would fly to where they were supposed to be--alerting me to set up for them. I use Perky Pet feeders with long perches and the bee guards removed. I have also been rewarded with Baltimore orioles visiting and nesting. I have never had orioles respond to oriole feeders. The only problem I never solved was when late in the season honey bees invaded and clogged up the feeders in suicidal masses. I would have to take the feeders down then. I could not bear to kill honey bees. Maybe something new will come up now that I am in Hampton Roads, Virginia....See MoreFinally my little Michigan hummers returned
Comments (1)Happy to hear that your Hummers returned! We too have Hummers, Orioles and Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, but have not seen the Scarlet Tanagers or the Indigo Buntings. Like you we are still waiting for them, confident they will surprise you and us any day now....See MoreOT Rose breasted Grosbeaks are in MI
Comments (3)I saw one male this weekend here in the Atlanta area. Put up a hummingbird feeder too... tara...See More- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDES6 Plants That Beat Butterfly Bush for the Wildlife Draw
It's invasive, a nonnative and a poor insect magnet. Check out these better alternatives to butterfly bush in the garden
Full Story
FALL GARDENING7 Reasons Not to Clean Up Your Fall Garden
Before you pluck and rake, consider wildlife, the health of your plants and your own right to relax
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGarden-Friendly Native Alternatives to Overplanted Exotics
There are lots of gorgeous, wildlife-friendly native plants ready to make an appearance in your garden
Full Story
sjerin