SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beverly_nj

Mixing countertop materials

beverly_nj
15 years ago

Hi! I have read over many of the countertop debates that are in these forums, but I haven't found much on this subject. I got a price quote from my KD for quartz countertops from Cambria. It's a little high. I was thinking that a different brand might be cheaper. Researching this brought me back to all of the debates I had between types of countertop materials --seams vs. no seams, what's easier to maintain, what's healthier, integrated sink vs. SS, etc. I am now wondering if I might be best off to mix and match a bit?

We will have cabinets all along one wall that will "L" to a small amount of cabinets that butt up to the frig. The sink will be in the middle of the one wall. Then opposite that long wall will be 15" cabinet, stove, 15" cabinet, pennisula. (The pennisula wall is in between the Ktichen and dining room). I'm working on getting pictures somewhere that I could link or post them here.

So, I was thinking maybe quartz for the pennisula and low end Solid Surface for the other wall. Or even laminate for the long wall because it is cheap? I wasn't sure if I wanted the quartz next to the stove or something different. I was thinking wood perhaps (i have a piece I can "recycle" to use there), but maybe that doesn't make sense next to the stove? I was also wondering about the seam between the Quartz and different countertop material? Would it look funny to have something different on one side of the stove than the other (the pennisula may be short enough that you could do it, plus the little bit next to the stove without a seam). Either way i like that idea that it might make the pennisula "pop" a bit to have the quartz there. Plus, that it the proposed work area for rolling about dough, etc. I heard the quartz and the granite are nice for pastry since they are cooler.

Sorry this is so long...it's only my second post. I guess I'm more stressed about this than the cabinets!

Comments (11)