SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Alleged repossession in Burma/Myanmar

16 years ago

I heard on the radio a couple of hours ago that Burma National TV were out takng pictures of some of the boss generals handing out clothing to some folk who'd been dispossessed of everything that they owned by the cyclone.

Then ... the TV cameras were turned off.

Then ... the clothes were taken back.

I'm sorry to report that I did not hear the source of that information, if such was given.

If it was one of the voluntary organizations working there, I doubt that they'd want to identify themselves, in any case.

What a shame that the generals in charge won't allow staffs of foreign-based agencies who have skills in dealing with such disasters to enter the country.

Send us your goods/money.

Not the people to deliver them effectively.

What a disgrace!

What a shame!

There's a national phone-in on the issue just now (4:00 - 6:00 Eastern), and one responder says that in some villages of, say, 6,000 ... only 2,000 are left.

Maybe find it on www.cbc.ca, then Radio One and the program is Cross-Country (Canada?) Check-up.

ole joyful

Comments (4)

• 16 years ago

It's a terrible, terrible tragedy over there...I think I heard that supplies are not going to the people that need it....

• 16 years ago

That situation is so sad. Great Britain sending some Naval Units but have not found out anymore. I cannot believe the world is just standing by and not doing more.

• 16 years ago

Burma/Myanmar has a huge army ... plus warplanes.

Making forbidden aid drops (water, tarpaulins, mosquito netting, hammers, nails, etc.) by planes would have to be low ... and slow, to allow kicking a lot of stuff out quickly.

Sitting ducks.

Some have suggested pre-notifying the authorities, daring them to shoot the aid planes down.

They could find that choosing to do so could be costly.

It can't be a U.N. deal - for the generals are good buddies with the Chinese ... who own a veto on the Security Council.

It's interesting that the Chinese are permitting much more foreign help than earlier for their earthquake disaster.

One person who'd spent time in that part of China not long ago says that the people in that area were unhappy with the shoddy building of schools ... thousands of which fell apart ... killing thousands of kids.

And that the people there were unenthused about China getting the Olympics ... for they were sure that there'd be even less support for needed development coming to their area than the meagre amount that they'd been getting, previously.

ole joyful

• 16 years ago

All this reminds me of the Burma Surgeon, Dr. Seagrave who worked with Stillwell during World War II. Sounds like a lot has changed.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor