SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

Do you regret not adding to your family?

amicus
14 years ago

I married at 29, had our first child at 30 and the third at 34. Two years later I asked DH if he wanted one last child, as we would have loved to give our daughter a sister. We finally decided that since we were blessed with 3 healthy children, it might be selfish to risk having a child with severe birth defects that our existing children might have to care for some day. So we stopped at 3 kids, which I now often regret.

I can't help thinking I was a fool to worry so much about 'what if' instead of just going for it and giving birth to a fourth child at age 37. I now envy my sisters who are already grandparents, but still have a child at home. I know it's very individual, and many couples love being empty nesters for at least a few years to enjoy complete freedom until they may be asked to babysit for their children. But DH and I both find the house way too quiet and really wish we had a child still at home to shorten the gap between raising children and enjoying grandchildren. I don't have the energy now to raise a small child, but I'm pondering fostering a teenager who just needs a few more years of parenting. Have any of you done that, and how did it work out?

Comments (58)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert