SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

Help me dress this bay window

franksmom_2010
13 years ago

Here's the background. This is a craft/sewing room, and is adjacent to our living room. There's no door separating the two rooms, so, although the aesthetics of the curtain hardware aren't that crucial, it needs to look somewhat neat. The bay window faces Southwest, and I live in Texas, so I *MUST* have thermal/room darkening/insulated/blackout type of curtains. The current cheapo metal mini blinds aren't cutting it, and it's hot in here!

Here's the window:

My questions are, has anyone used the plain Kirsch bay window harware? I've been reading online reviews, and people have said either it was fine, or that it was too flimsy to hang anything other than sheers. I've also looked at more substantial hardware, but that was a little pricier than I wanted, and I can't find any details about how that is hung. Does it mount to the ceiling? How does that work? Isn't the ceiling just a panel of sheetrock? If I hang heavy curtains from the ceiling, how stable is that? Should there be ceiling joists or studs beyond the sheetrock right around the window?

There's no available wall at all across the window (it's all metal window frame), so my only options are the two sides, and the ceiling. And lastly, how tacky would it look to just hang a curtain straight across the window, as though it were a normal window? The bump-out for the bay is about 27" at the deepest part.

I've already got blackout curtains in the living room, and that has helped, but it's only May, and already in the 90's, so those two rooms are just miserable in the evenings, and that's where we like to spend our time.

Comments (4)