SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summertime1_gw

Total newbie needs remodel layout help

Summertime1
12 years ago

Hi,

Hope you can help me with a kitchen remodel for our 1990 home. We would like to work with a local custom cabinet maker who also designs kitchens. I agreed to his plan until I started taking some measurements and realized what he was proposing wouldn't quite fit in our kitchen (or so I think).

Here is our current kitchen. (not quite to scale, but hopefully enough to give you an idea).

Our kitchen designer/ cabinet maker suggested removing the cabinets/ closest pantry, and associated short walls that frame them at the base of the drawing (proposed deleted items highlighted in yellow). The long wall at the bottom would be empty, and we would extend the perpendicular wall on the dining room side by several feet toward the long base wall to form a "U shape" with a larger island. We would also delete the single window (currently above freestanding printer cart), which would allow corner cabinets that would extend around the corner and down the wall where the dinette currently is.

Here is where I need the help:

In our cabinet-maker's original drawing, the island was 42" x 60", and supposedly had seating for 3. Now I already know from reading this forum that 60" would only give seating for 2. When I measured, it seems to me that the island is too wide at 60" - aisle space would be only 31" at best on either end. So now we are down to 42" x 50"(?) to make it work? I guess this is not the "big island" that I had envisioned. Also, concerned there is enough room for a walkway behind island/ seating given that this is a major traffic flow route to the rest of the house. Also hesitant to lose the window, but agree it makes sense.

FYI, DH and I are middle aged, no kids or grandkids. The house is a contemporary, largely open except for the kitchen, and built for 2, or maybe 3 people max. I am the only cook (and largely cleanup person), and we do not do a ton of entertaining. I make mostly quick meals and have no need for high end stove, etc. I really like the island concept and would like to make this work if possible. BUT I am open to any ideas that you guys have.

Specific wants:

- I do paperwork in the kitchen� would be nice for place for printer, etc

- Want to replace current (32") fridge with 36"

- Prefer sink by window as is current but could be negotiable

- No major moving of current walls (except revision as proposed)

- Place for a smallish TV if we keep island design.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

ps... this is my first attempt at scanning in drawings and embeding.. if they are not readible, please comment and I will redraw them.

Comments (16)