SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

RECIPE: Today's Grotto treats

19 years ago

Because of where it's positioned in the office, they call our food area the 'Grotto'. Today's menu was Cheesy Sausage and Egg Bake for breakfast (www.bettycrocker.com) and Frozen Raspberry Cream Squares for an afternoon birthday

celebration (http://www.recipegoldmine.com/dessfrozen/dessfrozen13.html).

Not a big fan of dishes like this, but it was gone in a heartbeat. Most folks preferred it nuked for 20 seconds. Not the 10 seconds from a few weeks ago - 20 seconds.

I don't think the layering works all that well. the stuff on the bottom doesn't get the batter and tends to make it messy to take a square. Didn't help that I forgot the milk and had to add it to the batter sitting on top of the filling. That was not fun.

Try swirling the batter in with the ingredients.

Cheesy Sausage and Egg Bake

1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained

1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (4 ounces)

8 medium green onions, sliced (1/2 cup)

2 medium tomatoes, chopped (1 1/2 cups)

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)

1 1/4 cups Original Bisquick mix

1 cup milk

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

1/2 teaspoon pepper

12 eggs

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches. Layer sausage, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and cheese in dish.

2. Stir remaining ingredients until blended. Pour over cheese.

3. Bake uncovered 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and set.

I would cut back on some of the raspberries or use raspberry preserves (seedless) if I were to make this again. Or perhaps add a layer of melted chocolate to the crumb crust.

I found the raspberries too icey right out of the freezer. The whole thing tasted much better after sitting out for 15-20 minutes.

Frozen Raspberry Cream Squares

2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers (about 50)

1/4 cup butter, melted

2 cups frozen raspberries (sweetened, loose pack)

1 cup half-and-half

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup sour cream

Combine wafers and butter, press half of mixture on bottom of 8-inch square pan (reserve remaining half for topping). Sprinkle berries over crust.

Whisk half-and-half and sugar until sugar dissolves.

In a separate bowl, whisk sour cream until smooth, and slowly whisk in half-and-half mixture. Pour this over berries. Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top. Cover and freeze for 3 hours or until solid. Cut into squares to serve.

Comments (45)

• 19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They both sound wonderful to me.

• 19 years ago

I was looking at a Raspberry Squares recipe in Taste of Home the other night;this sounds very similar so am glad to hear it was good.
    RL`

• Related Discussions

homemade dog treats?

Q

Comments (17)
    Stacy, we are adding to our family in about a month, he's an American Mastiff. While reading the breeders website, they discussed some things to do for teething. Someone suggested freezing plain yogurt or pumpkin. I think that would be a great treat for your Sammy and nutritious too! I also have a few cookie recipes that are very good as well: SIMPLE SIMONÂS BIRTHDAY BONES From "Three Dog Bakery Cookbook" by Dan Dye INGREDIENTS 2 cups whole-wheat flour 1 tbsp baking powder 1 cup natural peanut butter 1 cup skim milk! Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. In another bowl, mix the peanut butter and milk. Add wet mixture to the dry, and mix well. Turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead. Roll out 1/4-inch thick, and cut out shapes. Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool on a rack, then store in an airtight container. * Makes 30 large bones. This is the only one I can locate right now, when I find the others I'll pass them on to you! Gina
    ...See More

RECIPE: Recipe for soft sugar cookies w/ icing?

Q

Comments (13)
    I am so very sorry it took me this long to get you the soft sugar cookie recipe. These are just like the ones you can buy in a supermarket: soft, bland and loved by kids. Soft Sugar Cookies for a crowd 1 cup butter 2 cups sugar 2 eggs 2 tsp vanilla 1 cup milk 4 tsp. baking powder 6 cups flour 1 tsp. salt Cream the butter and the sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Alternate milk and the flour mixture to the batter. Refrigerate before rolling out dough. (I roll out onto parchment paper so I don't have to add more than a sprinkling of extra flour). Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. When cool, ice with your favorite icing and decorations. (My MIL notes here "Uf bitm the cookies are horrible!") My kids adored these cookies and they are very spoiled about homemade goodies.
    ...See More

Ice cream, sorbet, frozen treats...

Q

Comments (7)
    Terri, here are a couple of my favorites from GB. This one was posted by Jain. > Lavender-Blueberry Ice Cream 1 cup blueberries, rinsed 3/4 cup sugar 2 tablespoons dried culinary lavender blossoms 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon vanilla 3 cups half-and-half Preparation 1. In a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir blueberries, sugar, and 1/2 cup water until berries begin to pop, 4 to 5 minutes. Pour mixture through a fine strainer set over a bowl. Pour blueberries into a blender. Return berry syrup to pan. 2. Add lavender to syrup and stir over medium heat until syrup is infused with flavor, about 5 minutes. Strain into blender, pressing to extract liquid. Discard lavender. 3. Add cinnamon and vanilla to blender; whirl until mixture is smooth. Pour into a bowl, nest in ice water, and stir often until cold, about 15 minutes. Stir in half-and-half. 4. Pour chilled mixture into an ice cream maker (1 1/2-qt. or larger capacity). Freeze according to manufacturer's directions until firm enough to scoop. Serve, or transfer to a container and freeze, airtight, up to 1 week. My personal favorite from Maryel. I always double the recipe! Ben and Jerry`s Orange Cream Dream Ice Cream Ingredients: 1/3 cup Orange juice concentrate; thawed 2 teaspoons Vanilla 2 cups Heavy or whipping cream 3/4 cup Sugar 2/3 cup Half and half Directions: Pour the cream into a mixing bowl. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour the half and half and whisk to blend. Add the juice concentrate and vanilla and blend. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions. Makes about 1 qt
    ...See More

Theatre Workday Treats And Picnic Updates

Q

Comments (10)
    You got it, chase! Cheesy Bacon Mushrooms 16 oz. pkg. mushrooms, stems removed and finely chopped 1 onion, chopped 1/4 c. margarine 1 c. shredded Mozzarella cheese (I'll be using Cheddar instead) 3 oz. jar bacon bits (I'm just going to cut up some bacon slices) 1/2 to 1 c. dry bread crumbs. In a skillet over medium heat, sauté mushroom stems and onion in margarine until tender. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, bacon bits, and crumbs, mixing well. Spoon mixture into mushroom caps; place in an ungreased 13" x 9" baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Recipe courtesy of Gooseberry Patch. Brad AKA Moonwolf
    ...See More
  • 19 years ago

Roelin,
    It was 'ok', but much better when it softened. Too many raspberries though. It's certainly a springboard to create something much yummier!

Sue

• 19 years ago

Sue, maybe it needs some Cool Whip folded in? LOL
    RL`

• 19 years ago

Made these for today's Grotto, 9/1/04. To the strudel filling, I just added more zest than it called for. Very refreshing. A quality strudel. I suppose the filling for this would be great in AnnT's Cheese Danish.

AnnT: Thanks for letting me know about the Canadian FoodTV site. Many good quality recipes there.

LEMON CREAM CHEESE STRUDEL
    Yield:16

When youre working with phyllo dough, keep any unused portions covered in plastic wrap so they dont dry out and crumble.

Use a 7-inch bowl and a 6-inch pot of simmering water to make the curd. If the bowl is too large, the curd will curdle.

Makes 2 strudels or 16 servings.

Filling
    3 egg yolks
    Grated zest of 1 lemon
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice

Strudel

2 x 8 oz packages of cream cheese, at room temperature
    1/4 cup icing sugar
    1 egg
    12 sheet phyllo dough
    2/3 cup melted unsalted butter
    Granulated sugar, for sprinkling

Directions:

Combine the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and zest in a 7-inch diameter stainless steel bowl.

Put it over a 6-inch pot of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl isn't touching the water (the bowl shouldnt touch the water because too high a heat will cook the egg yolks).

Stir with a wooden spoon (I used a whisk)until thickened and the foam has subsided, about 8 minutes.
    Remove from the heat, transfer the curd to a clean bowl and cover the surface of the lemon curd with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 30 minutes.

Strudel

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    Combine cream cheese and icing sugar in a medium bowl and in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the mixture on medium speed until light and creamy.

Add the egg and chilled lemon curd and beat on medium speed just until well blended.

Lay a sheet of phyllo on a surface with the long end facing you. (Keep remaining phyllo under a damp tea towel.)
    Brush with melted butter.

Lay another sheet on top, and continue brushing and layering until you have 6 sheets of phyllo layered and buttered.

Pour half the filling onto the bottom third of the phyllo creating a log of filling and leaving a 6-inch border along the bottom and 1 1/2-inch border along the sides.

Roll the strudel away from you, turning once. Fold the sides in (letter style), securing well, and then roll it completely.

Strudel should be about 3 inches thick. Repeat with the remaining phyllo and filling to make another strudel.

Put the 2 strudels on the baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with butter.

Sprinkle with some granulated sugar and cut two small slits in the top of the phyllo to let steam escape.
    Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until golden and puffy.

Remove from oven and cool slightly. Slice.

Serve with warm Blackberry Sauce.

Visit foodtv.ca often for great new recipes from the world's top chefs.
    Sign up for the foodtv.ca newsletter for recipes, menu planning, show info, contests and more!

Thank you for visiting FoodTV.ca.

• 19 years ago

Oh Sue that sounds yummy. I want to work where you do! Do you each take a turn bringing in treats?

• 19 years ago

I think Sue is the den mother. She brings wonderful goodies in each week. That filling would be good in the Danish Sue. I sometimes sneak a little lemon zest into the cream cheese filling when I make them.

Ann

• 19 years ago

Sharon,
    No turns, it's all me. Once in a while we do something where everyone brings something in, but those occassions are few and far between. Last time it was panini day and I brought in 30+ paninis and other's brought in sides and desserts.

We also had the first repeat performance today with Cinnabon Clones that I have posted before. They're amazing and very easy to make, even though they call for the dreaded 'yeast'. My collagues were swooning, not able to decide which treat was better.

Got to tell you, there is nothing more rewarding than hearing yummy tummy sounds from them, especially from the men.

Ann, nice site.
    Sue

• 19 years ago

Yesterday's grotto treat served with vanilla yogurt. A nice change that caused some ribbing but they did a good job eating it. Makes alot. Consider cutting recipe in half.
    Sue

Justin Trails Award Winning Granola presented by Justin Trails Bed and Breakfast Resort
    1 48 oz. box old fashioned oatmeal
    4 oz. seasame seeds
    16 oz. sunflower seeds
    2 cup coconut
    16 oz. roasted soy nuts
    2 cups ground, chopped, or slivered almonds (vary the kind of nuts with each batch)
    2 T. cinnamon, ground
    1 T. ginger, ground
    2 cup raisins or mixed tropical fruit
    1 cup oil
    1 cup maple syrup
    1 cup honey
    1 cup peanut butter

IN A GLASS MEASURING BOWL ADD OIL, BR. SUGAR, HONEY & PEANUT BUTTER. MICROWAVE FOR 7 MINUTES

STIR TOGETHER.

PLACE DRY INGREDIENTS, EXCEPT CRASINS OR TROPICAL FRUIT IN VERY LARGE MIXING BOWL.

POUR LIQUID MIXTURE OVER DRY INGREDIENTS.

MIX UNTIL BLENDED

POUR INTO 3 11 X 15 INCH PANS

BAKE AT 325

STIRRING EVERY 5 MIN FOR 20 MINUTES OR UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN. REMOVE FROM OVEN, ADD DRIED CRANBERRIES WHILE HOT.

CAN BE STORED IN FREEZER BAGS IN THE REFRIGERATOR OR FREEZER OR SEALED PLASTIC CONTAINERS.
    THIS BURNS VERY EASILY. BE SURE TO USE OLD FASHIONED OATS OR IT WILL BE MUSHY. THE DRIED FRUIT BECOMES TOO HARD IF BAKED WITH THE OTHER INGREDIENTS. ENJOY WITH YOGURT, MILK, JUICE OR CRANAPPLE SAUCE FOR BREAKFAST OR A NUTRIOUS SNACK!

• 19 years ago

Sue, this sounds so healthy, I'm sure you've got 'em scared!

• 19 years ago

Sue, I'm so glad that you post your menues and recipes. I'm getting back into my cooking for coffee hours now that the summer is over and am always looking for new ideas.

Cindy

• 19 years ago

Today's grotto was some comfort foods to welcome Autumn. Someone made a crumbcake for the morning and a colleage and I did the lunch thing.

Tom made chili and I used Sharon's (Chase) recipe for Chicken and Sliders with some minor variations. Both were served in crockpots and where a big hit.

Sharon's recipe appears below.

For my version, I used the equivalent of perhaps 6 chickens (2 chickens and additional breasts, thighs and legs), 4 carrots, 4 ribs of celery, 1 leak, 2 onions, 4 garlic cloves, and some peppercorns. Covered with cold water (I had two big stockpots going) and brought to a boil then simmered for 1.5 hours.

After straining the stock and reserving the cleaned up chicken (removed skin, bone and other undesirable things), I returned the stock to the pot to reduce for 30 minutes.

I pureed the cooked veggies and added them to the reduce stock, which was then chilled and the layer of fat removed the next day. All in all, it made about 12+ cups of stock -liquid gold.

On Tuesday night, I made the pasta (sliders), just one batch, and rolled the dough in my Atlas pasta maker (no motor, just a crank) from 0 - 5, a nice thickness for the recipe.

I added a couple of bayleafs and the sliders. The sliders thickened the stock up quite a bit. I added baby peas at the end, along with a ton of chicken that was cut up into bite sized pieces, then added some extra carrots and celery that I had cooked separatly in some stock.

Heated in the crockpot, it was thick and rib sticking.

Thanks Sharon!

Sue

Chicken And Sliders (Sharons)
    3 lb Chicken
    2 Onions, Quartered
    3 Celery Stalks, cut into 1/2
    -inch pieces
    3 Carrots, cut into 1/2 Inch
    -pieces
    2 Bay Leaves
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 Egg
    3 c Flour
    1 c broth, reserved from pot

Wash chicken and place in large pot.
    Cover with water and add chopped vegetables, bay leaves, salt and pepper.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours or until meat comes away easily from the bone.
    Remove chicken from broth and strain liquid.
    Reserve the broth and discard all vegetables.
    When chicken is cool, remove meat from the bones and all skin, keeping the chicken meat in reasonably large pieces.

To make the noodles (sliders): Beat the egg with some of the cooled broth, measure out the flour, work the egg mixture into the flour adding broth as required until the dough forms a ball.

Kneed the ball for a few minutes. Let the dough rest 10 to 15 minutes.

Roll out the dough on a floured surface. Cut the dough into strips about 1 inch wide and 3 inches long. Don't worry if they are irregular in shape. Leave any excess flour on the noodles.

Bring the reserved broth to a boil, add the noodles and let them boil for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat, add cut up chicken and simmer until the broth is very thick like gravy (add a little flour to thicken if required). Add salt and pepper to taste.

• 19 years ago

Sue, you're really treating that crowd right:) Sounds just delicious, I bet they were all smiling all day. Reminds me that I haven't made crumbcake in ages.

• 19 years ago

Todays menu was made up of two kinds of muffins. The first were Carrot Cheesecake muffins and the second was Walnut Muffins with Coffee Icing.

I much preferred the carror recipe, although the coffee icing on the others was delicious. I think there was an error in the Walnut Muffin recipe in that it called for 1.5 cups of flour in the ingredient list, but then only called for 1/2 cup in the directions. I added 1.5 cups which was probably a mistake.

To the coffee icing I added instant espresso instead of regular coffee, and 6 oz. of cream cheese.

Carrot Cheesecake Muffins

1/3 cup butter
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup evaporated milk
    1 1/4 cups finely grated carrots
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
    2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
    1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 1/4 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 tablespoons sugar

Blend cream cheese, 2 T. granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp. orange rind until thoroughly mixed and set aside until needed. Cream butter and brown sugar until light. Beat in eggs, orange juice concentrate and evaporated milk. Stir in orange rind, carrot, raisins and walnuts and thoroughly blend.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add carrot mixture and stir just until moistened. Spoon 2 T. batter into each greased muffin tin. Spoon 1 T. cream cheese mixture on top. Cover with remaining batter.

Bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes.

Walnut Muffins With Coffee Icing
    (12 servings)

FOR ICING:
    1 and 1/2 cup powdered sugar
    4 Tablespoons butter - softened
    1 and 1/2 Tablespoons milk
    1 Tablespoon instant coffee granules (instant espresso is good)
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    6 oz. cream cheese (my addition)

FOR MUFFINS:
    1 and 1/2 cup flour
    3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
    1/2 cup broken walnuts - toasted
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup canola oil
    1/3 cup milk
    1/4 cup raisins
    3 egg yolks - beaten
    3 Tablespoons warm water
    2 Tablespoons butter - softened
    1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Stir together oats and warm water, let stand for 5 minutes.

In a seperate bowl, sift together 1/2 cup of flour, the sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

Stir egg yolk, canola oil and milk into oat mixture. Add butter. Mix well then add to dry ingredients to this mixture until just moistened.

Fold in the walnuts and the raisins.

Prepare 12 muffin cups with papers or a cooking spray. Fill cups to 2/3rds full.

Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out free of batter.

Let cool before applying icing. To make the icing, simply whip all the icing ingredients together. Apply to each muffin generously.

Deliciouso!

Mr Breakfast would like to thank leprican_katie for this recipe.

Recipe number 1228. Submitted 4/18/2004.
    Send comments regarding this recipe
    to recipe@MrBreakfast.com.

• 19 years ago

Tried this for today's grotto.
    Could have used a little more kick. Next time would use fresh chopped jalapenos and some chopped tomato.

I used a 9x13 Pyrex, but next time would double the recipe for the same dish.

Sue

Chili Cheese Breakfast Casserole

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 English muffins - split into halves
    2 Tablespoons butter
    1 pound ground pork sausage
    3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    12 large eggs - beaten
    1 and 1/2 cups sour cream
    3 chopped green jalapenos
    1 large tomato -- chopped

Lightly grease a 13 by 9 baking dish.

Spread the English muffin halves with butter - tear appart and place buttered side down - on the baking dish. Set aside,

Brown Sausage in a skillet, stirring until it crumbles; Drain.

Take half of the sausage and layer it over the english miffins, followed by a layer of half the jalapenos and half the cheese.

In a medium bowl, combine eggs and sour cream. Pour over casserole. Top with remaining sausage, jalapenos, chiles, tomatoes, and cheese: cover casserole and refridgerate overnight at least 8 hours.

Before cooking, allow dish to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Great for brunch. Feed six as a main course. Serve as many as twelve if served as part of a buffet.

Source:
    "MrBreakfast.com"

• 19 years ago

Sue, I hope you can hear my Yummy Tummy sounds!

• 19 years ago

I'm curious how you got "elected" for this job! Based on the recipes posted, I'm sure they made the right choice!!

We have snacks on Fridays. Each teachers is assigned a week and the spreads get really elaborate, but it's easy to do when it's just once a year. Plus, a lot of us share weeks with a fellow teachers, so we only have to do half of it on two separate weeks.

I've copied your recipes -- thank you so much for posting them. I'm tired of my normal repetoire of snack foods, so it'll be fun to try new things. Also, I'm in early December, when there are plenty of sweets landing in the teachers' lounge, so I'll be doing more breakfast/appetizer stuff than desserts/candy, like I did when I had March. (Normally I don't set up the rotation but it fell to me this year. Let me tell you, having a Friday during Lent in a Catholic school is a pain, so I took the opportunity to move myself to a better timeframe! LOL!)

• 19 years ago

Hey lulashoo. I started this two years ago for our wedneday team meetings. It was a good way to experiment with new recipes. Since then I have rarely made the same thing twice. The only thing I have made twice is the cinnabon clone. I could make those every week and they wouldn't tire of them.

This weeks Grotto treat was from a recipe I found at the Alberta Egg site. I modified it slightly by tripling most ingredients and doubling some. I added fresh sauteed mushrooms because I think they go great with spinach.

I cooked it the night before, cooled it, then refrigerated. Took it out an hour before I left for work and let it sit on the counter for 1/2 hour before warming at 225 degrees. It was nice and crispy, and tasted great.
    Spinach, Mushroom, and Swiss Strudel

3 pkg Frozen -- (10 oz.) chopped spinach - thawed
    2 onions -- chopped
    3 Garlic cloves -- finely chopped
    24 oz White mushrooms -- sliced
    1 Cup Butter -- melted - divided
    12 Large Eggs
    1/2 Cup Heavy cream
    3 Cups Grated Swiss cheese
    1 tsp Grated nutmeg
    1 tsp ground allspice
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1 pkg Phyllo dough -- (16 oz) thawed

Preheat oven to 400.

Squeeze all moisture from spinach - set aside.

In a skillet, sauté onion and garlic in 2 Tblsp butter until golden- add
    to spinach.
    In same skillet, cook mushrooms in 3 T butter and some oil over high heat
    until browned,add more butter/oil as needed, Set aside.

In another bowl, beat eggs and cream.
    Add cheese and seasonings to egg mixture.
    Line a greased 13x9 baking pan with a sheet of pastry, brush with some
    melted butter.
    Repeat until there are 8 buttered sheets of pasty.
    Cover pastry with spinach mixture.
    Layer mushrooms
    Pour in egg and cheese mixture.
    Top with 4 more buttered sheets of phyllo.
    Roll up edges and seal.
    Split top of strudel and brush with more melted butter.
    Bake for 40 minutes or until phyllo is golden and crisp.

• 19 years ago

Thanks Sue, another one to copy and save!

(This is really a great thread!)

• 19 years ago

Had a lot of eggs in the fridge, and a fair amount of cheese, so I put together a crustless quiche in a 13x9 pan.

This one was good, I must say. They key is finding the perfect ratio of eggs to cream, which I think I've nailed.

As long as there are 1 1/2 cups cream (I guess you can use milk, although I haven't used it straight yet) to 4 large eggs, it is foolproof...

Measurements are approximate. I just make sure that the fillings substantially fill up the baking dish before the liquids are added.

Can make ahead and refrigerate. Remove from fridge and let sit for 30 minutes before heating in 200° oven for 30 minutes.

Large Quiche

4 1/2 Cups cream
    12 Eggs
    Salt & Pepper
    1 lb bacon - crisp
    1/3 lb ham (I had sliced, but you can get the ham slabs and cut into cubes)
    1 large onion - chopped
    8 oz swiss - grated
    4 oz. goat cheese - crumbled
    5 oz. cheedar - shredded

Preheat oven to 350°
    Mix eggs, cream, salt, and pepper - set aside
    Fill baking dish with fillings.
    Pour egg mixture over filling.
    Bake for 50 - 60 minutes, or until center is set.

• 19 years ago

Sue,
    Glad to hear that the quiche worked out OK in a 13x9 pan. I've been debating about whether to try it, but was always afraid that it would be soggy in the middle. Thanks for the recipe!

Cindy

• 19 years ago

What Cindy said!

Thanks, Sue.

• 19 years ago

that spinach, mushroom and swiss strudel sounds incredible! just had to copy and paste--thanx!

• 19 years ago

Made three different type muffins last week...all good...

Ricotta Peach Muffins

2-1/2 C all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1-1/3 C light brown sugar, packed
    1/2 C creamy ricotta
    1/2 C canola oil
    2 eggs
    1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1 C peaches, peeled and diced
    2 peaches sliced for garnish
    turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350F. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, blend together brown sugar, ricotta cheese, oil, eggs and vanilla. Add flour to brown sugar mixture and blend just until incorporated. Stir in diced peaches and spoon into a greased muffin tin. Arrange a few sliced peaches on each muffin and sprinkle tops generously with turbinado sugar. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until tops are golden brown and a tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from muffin pan. Makes 12 standard muffins.
    ===================================================

Vanilla Jam Muffins

For Muffins:

1 1/2 cups milk
    1 vanilla bean
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2/3 cup vegetable oil
    2 eggs
    3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup raspberry jam

For Dip:

1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

For Muffins:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 F
    2. Heat milk with scraped seeds and pod of vanilla bean over medium-low heat about 15 minutes, to infuse flavour. Remove vanilla pod and let milk cool to room temperature
    3. Whisk sugar, oil and eggs into cooled milk
    4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and cinnamon
    5. Add to milk mixture and blend just until incorporated (do not overmix)
    6. Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full with batter. Stir raspberry jam to soften and spoon a tablespoon into centre of each muffin
    7. Top with remaining muffin batter and bake for 35 - 45 minutes, until even light golden brown on top. Let muffins cool in tin for 15 minutes, then turn out to cool completely

For Dip:
    Brush tops of muffins with melted butter and dip into a mixture of sugar and cinnamon

Store muffins in an airtight container for 2 - 3 days or freeze and warm in oven or microwave to serve
    Yield: 12 muffins
    ==============================================

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    4 1/2 tablespoons flour
    5 tablespoons white sugar
    3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons chopped pecans (toasted these briefly first on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350 degrees, for about 10 minutes. Just)
    2 1/2 cups flour (I used half white, half whole wheat)
    2 cups white sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    1 1/3 cups canned pumpkin
    1/3 cup olive oil
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

18 muffins (depending on size of tin) Change size or US/metric : 45 minutes 20 mins prep

Change to: muffins (depending on size of tin) US Metric
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    2. Grease and flour 18 muffin cups.
    3. FILLING: Beat cream cheese until soft.
    4. Add egg, vanilla and brown sugar.
    5. Beat until smooth.
    6. Set aside.
    7. STREUSEL TOPPING: Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and pecans.
    8. Add butter and cut it in with a fork until crumbly.
    9. Set aside.
    10. MUFFIN BATTER: In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
    11. Make a well in the center of flour mixture and gradually incorporate eggs, pumpkin, olive oil and vanilla.
    12. Beat together until smooth.
    13. Fill cups with pumpkin mixture until they're about 1/2 full.
    14. Carefully add one tbsp of the cream cheese mixture right in the middle of the batter.
    15. If you're using paper cups, try to keep cream cheese from touching the paper.
    16. Sprinkle on the streusel topping.
    17. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

• 19 years ago

Cookingrvc, these muffins all sound good-are there more where they came from?
    RL`

• 19 years ago

Sue,
    These muffins look great - a little something extra in all of them! I'll be trying them all :)

Cindy

• 19 years ago

Roselin: I just did a general search and poked around until something sounded good.

Ricotta Peach: http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/breads/ripemuff.html

Vanilla Jam Muffins: http://vancouver.citytv.com/whats_on/bt/recipes.asp?recipeID=2254

Cindy 5NY: Yes, they are a bit different than run of the mill. The ricotta peach were a great use for leftover ricotta I had in the fridge.
    Sue

• 19 years ago

Thanks-was glad to see the ricotta on since I have some leftover in the refrig too.
    RL`

• 19 years ago

This one went over well. I doubled it and cooked it that same night in a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. The next morning I heated it on 200° for 60 minutes - covered.

Oh, I cooked the potatoes in some butter and olive oil, browning them nicely before adding them to the mixture. I used fresh jalepenos instead of canned.

Autumn Eggs with Potatoes

1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
    3 cups cold, cooked potatoes, cut into small cubes
    4 oz. can diced green chilis, drained well
    1 cup small curd cottage cheese
    1-2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
    10 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 t salt
    ¼ t pepper
    pinch nutmeg

Brown onion in butter. Mix all ingredients together and place in greased 9'x13" pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until set. Serve with salsa on the side; garnish with fresh cilantro and tomato slices.

Serves 8-10

• 19 years ago

It's been a while since I posted here, but that doesn't mean I haven't been feeding my colleagues!

Since we have a weight loss competition, I have been making low fat breakfasts, although I really should be making high fat dishes to tempt them off their diets so I can be the WINNER!

This week I made breakfast burritos.

Whole wheat tortillas filled with scrabled eggs (half eggs.half egg whites), fat free refried beans, and fat free american cheese (Kraft is best if you HAVE to eat ff).

I brought in chopped fresh jalepeno peppers, reduced fat sour cream, and some green sauce I found in the Jamaican food section of the supermarket.

They totalled 3 WW points each without the dressings and were quite good.

Last week I tried a banana fudge brownie recipe that had no fat but was 'interesting' tasting, and a fluffy corn bread recipe whose tast resembled packing peanuts.

I think they prefer it when I stick to the hearty breakfast fare!

Sue

• 19 years ago

Sue, great to hear from you! You have a lot of fans that have been missing you. I especially was thinking of you during Christmas, because I remember your beautiful dining room and especially the decorations on your chandelier!

I think it's great that you prepare weight loss friendly DELICIOUS recipes for your friend and coworkers. Personally, I'd prefer your egg and cheese and sausage recipes, LOL. (That's why I'm not in the competition.)

Happy New Year to you!

• 19 years ago

Hey Woodie, good to talk to you.
    My sister is settling in around the corner, keeping all of us busy with her new (1928) house.

I am trying to think back if I ever did decorations on my chandelier and can't remember doing that. You are probably giving me someone else's much deserved credit, although our home does look quite lovely during the holidays - not too much, not too little - just right.

I have been trying to keep up with the postings, skimming them for the fabulous recipes and pictures that only this site offers. I regret I am not up on anyones lives, good or bad, but I am always here in spirit. I hope your holidays were fabulous. Hope to chat more this year than last.

All my best,
    Sue

• 19 years ago

Hey Sue, I've missed you. Glad to see that you are still around. I know that you are really close with your sister so you must be really enjoying having her so close.

Don't be a stranger.

Ann

• 19 years ago

Hi Sue,
    Good to see you! I really enjoy this thread and am glad that you added to it to keep it alive. I wish that you'd add to it more often :)

Cindy

• 19 years ago

I tripled this for today's Grotto. It was quite good.
    The mixture doesn't seem like it will set up when you bake the strudel, but it does.

Sue

Lowfat Ham and Cheese Strudel
    Consider adding spinach (well-squeezed), green onion, etc.
    WW:
    1 T. Margarine
    2 T. Flour
    1 C. Skim Milk
    1 pinch Nutmeg
    3 Slice Lean ham, diced
    3 Slice Lowfat Swiss,diced
    4 T. Parmesan cheese
    1.25 C. Egg Substitute
    6 Phyllo sheets
    2 tsp. Bread crumbs
    Non-stick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Melt margarine in a saucepan.
    Stir in flour, mix until smooth.
    Gradually stir in milk.
    Bring to a boil (it has to boil to thicken)
    Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes, or until the mixture is thick.

Add ham, heating throughout.
    Remove from heat.

Stir in Swiss and Parmesan cheeses, and stir until melted. Set aside.

In a non-stick skillet, coated with cooking spray, stir egg substitute over medium heat until set.
    Stir into cheese mixture.

For strudel, place one sheet of phyllo dough on work surface and coat with cooking spray.

Sprinkle with 2 tsp. bread crumbs.
    Spread egg mixture over bottom third of dough to within ¾ inch of bottom and sides.
    Fold in sides.
    Carefully roll dough up, starting at the end with the egg mixture.
    Lightly spray roll.

Place seam side down on a baking sheet that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray.

Bake at 375° for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

WW: 10 Servings. Per serving points Flex: 2 pts. Core: 1 pt.

• 19 years ago

Sue, do you have the Cinnabon clone recipe handy? How many does it make?

• 19 years ago

Here's the recipe. I usually double it to get about 24.

CINNABON CINNAMON ROLLS

*********Rolls**********
    1/4 ounce package active dry yeast
    1 cup warm milk -- (105 to 110)
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup margrine -- melted
    4 cups all purpose flour
    **********Filling************
    1 Cup packed brown sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
    1/3 cup margarine -- softened
    *********Icing************
    8 tablespoons margarine -- softened
    1 1/2 cups powered sugar
    1/4 cup cream cheese -- (2 oz)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/8 salt

1. For the rolls, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl.

2. Add the sugar, margarine, salt, eggs, and flour, and mix well.

3. Knead the dough into a large ball, using your hands dusted lightly with
    flour.
    Put in bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, or until the
    dough has doubled.

4. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough flat until
    it is approximately 21 inches long and 16 inches wide. It should be about
    1/4 inch thick.

6. For the filling, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
    Spread the softened margarine evenly over the surface of the dough, and
    then sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar evenly over the surface.

7. Working carefully from the top ( a21-inch side), roll the dough in the
    bottom edge.
    8. Cut the rolled dough into 1 3/4-inch slices and place 2" apart in a
    lightly greased baking pan.

Let rise again overnight in refrigerator. After rising, rolls should be
    touching pans and eachother.

Preheat over to 400°.

Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown on top

9. While the rolls bake, combine the icing ingredients. Beat well with an
    electric mixer until fluffy.

10. When the rolls come out of the oven, coat each generously with icing.

NOTES:
    Recipe can be started 2 days in advance of baking.

Make the dough on day 1, and let rise in refrigerator overnight.

The next night, assemble the rolls and let rise overnight
    in the refrigerator.
    Bake following day.

• 19 years ago

Sue, love your lowfat strudel, thank you!

Don't know how my old, tired, forgetful mind got your Christmas decorations confused with somebody else. I can see your house in my mind (you posted a few pictures once) and also your picture - you are the one who looks like a young "Annette" aren't you? Or am I completely off base, LOL?

• 19 years ago

Thank you!

• 19 years ago

Woodie, Annette F? Blue dress? Yup, that's me.
    You're not altogether crazy.

Hope you enjoy them Ginger.

Sue

• 19 years ago

Oh Sue, glad you are back. Have to admit your thread and recipes from the, or for, the Grotto was one of the many reasons I took the plunge and joined in here. TFS all your great recipes. Loved the remark about making the food fattening so you would win the weight loss challenge. Good plan imho.
    Evelyn

• 19 years ago

Tried something a little different today. Was surfing the King Arthur Flour site and this one appealed to me.
    It didn't set up quite as well as a custard-based quiche, but the taste was good. Maybe one or two additional egg yoks would have helped.

I doubled the recipe and made two very hearty pies in 9.5 inch removable-bottom pan.

Deep-Dish Pizza Quiche

Crust
    2 cups Perfect Pizza Blend or 2 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    1 tablespoon Pizza Dough Flavor, optional
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt*
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
    4 to 5 tablespoons water

*Increase salt to 1 teaspoon if youre not using Pizza Dough Flavor.

Filling
    1 pound ricotta cheese
    3 large eggs
    4 tablespoons Signature Secrets Culinary Thickener (tm) or flour, divided
    2 teaspoons Pizza Seasoning, or seasoning of your choice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large red or green bell pepper, thinly sliced
    3 medium tomatoes, chopped
    5 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered, about 1 3/4 cups
    1 large onion, diced
    4 to 6 ounces of ham, diced, about 1 cup (optional)
    1 cup shredded provolone cheese
    1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    sliced pepperoni, optional

Crust:
    Cut the butter into the dry ingredients, sprinkle in the water, and mix gently just until the dough comes together. Roll the dough into a 14-inch circle, and place it in a lightly greased 9 1/2 x 2-inch removable bottom or springform pan. Prick the bottom of the dough, then refrigerate it, covered, for at least 30 minutes.

Filling:
    Combine the ricotta, eggs, 3 tablespoons of the Signature Secrets or flour, and seasoning. Set aside. Sautohe vegetables and ham in olive oil until lightly browned and most of the water has evaporated. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon thickener, then set aside to cool.

Assembly:
    Bake the chilled crust in a preheated 425°F oven for 16 minutes, or until its lightly browned, giving it a few pricks if its puffing up. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.

Sprinkle about 1/3 of the shredded cheeses over the crust. Add the ricotta filling, then top with the vegetables. Drizzle the tomato sauce over the filling and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Top with pepperoni if desired. Using a pie crust shield or foil to prevent the edges from over-browning, bake the quiche at 425°F for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove it from the oven and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.

Yield: 10 servings.

Nutrition per serving (a 3-inch wedge, 214g): 390 cal, 21g fat, 20g protein, 31g total carbohydrate, 5g sugar, 3g dietary fiber, 125mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium.

• 19 years ago

For our monthly birthday celebration I picked a couple of lite desserts to try that had plain gelatin as an ingredient. Not my cup of tea, but with everyone on a diet I thought I'd try someting different. One was a totally forgetable fake cheesecake with raspberries. Although people ate it, I thought it was awful.

The second dessert was much better with many requests for the recipe. I found this one at the Knox/Kraft website and think it would be great with real whipped cream. But then, that would defeat the purpose...

Cannoli Icebox Cake

Prep Time: 20 min
    Total Time: 4 hr 50 min
    Makes: 14 servings

1 container (15 oz.) POLLY-O FREE Natural Nonfat Ricotta Cheese (I used part skim)
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1 tsp. almond extract
    1 envelope KNOX Unflavored Gelatine
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup BREYERS Vanilla Lowfat Yogurt
    30 squares HONEY MAID Low Fat Honey Grahams
    2 cups thawed COOL WHIP FREE Whipped Topping

PLACE ricotta cheese, sugar and almond extract in food processor container; cover. Process until smooth.

SPRINKLE gelatine over 1/4 cup cold water; let stand 1 to 2 minutes.
    Heat on low heat until gelatine dissolves.
    Pour gelatine into ricotta mixture while processor is running.
    Reserve 1 Tbsp. chocolate chips.
    Fold in yogurt and remaining chocolate chips.
    Refrigerate until mixture thickens, about 30 minutes.

SPREAD 2 Tbsp. cannoli cream on each of the grahams.
    Stack grahams; stand on edge on serving platter to make a 14-inch loaf.
    Frost with whipped topping; garnish with reserved 1 Tbsp. chocolate chips.
    Refrigerate 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
    Slice loaf at 45-degree angle.

• 19 years ago

Sue, I missed your post last week, don't know how! You really rock, still making the low fat treats for your friends. I love cannoli cakes and I would really shock my family if I brought a low fat treat to a party, they would all really appreciate it but they would be shocked, LOL.

• 18 years ago

Thank you for the great recipes.
    There are several I want to try.