SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windsorbecks

Frustrated with Mortgage Co after Loss

windsorbecks
15 years ago

I need a place to vent and possibly get advice. We had a tornado and hail in our town about a month ago. Our house is structurally sound and habitable, but we do have about 25K worth of damage to our house (roof, painting, door replacement, fence, etc.) Insurance company gladly cuts the check, payable to us and the mortgage company. So far so good.

Here is the part that annoys me: The mortgage company will only dole out 1/3 of the money to start the work, then when the work is 50% completed will dole out another third, and then when the work is 100% complete they will "release the remaining funds." I have to wait for 4 people inspect every job at this rate (town, insurance, mortgage co, and the company themselves.)

We have money to cover the expenses, but how would the average person have enough money to complete 50% of the work with 30% of the money? I have a feeling it will be a nightmare when we do some of the work ourselves... can we give ourselves a receipt??

Also, we have a loan to value ratio of about 40/60. How can they justify having only 40% stock in our home and keeping 100% of the money? I am also annoyed that we live in a state that doesn't require interest payments, so I could have made 3-4% on the money that they are "holding" for me.

I know why some system has to be in place (running off to Mexico with the roof repair money and diminishing the value of the house, as an example). But darn it, I am responsible and I do not want to spend every lunch hour for the next 3 months trying to get MY money. (Yes it is mine, I paid the premiums!!!) I have also heard from many of our contractors that Wells Fargo is the worst company from which to receive reimbursements.

Can anyone tell me that it will all be OK, and that it really isn't going to be that hard? Advice?

Comments (14)