SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danain

RECIPE: The peaches are here!

danain
18 years ago

I love peaches but I don't make that much with them, usually quick peach cobbler or peach crumble. But, this week end I made an old fashion peach cobbler to take to my brothers for a family fish fry. I also put some peaches in the freezer for this winter.

Anyone else have any good peach recipes?

{{gwi:2049686}}

2 1/2 cup flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 cup Crisco shortening

7 tablespoons ice cold water

12 cups fresh peaches; peeled and sliced

3 1/2 cups granulated sugar

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon

juice from 1/2 fresh lemon

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons cream or milk

In a large bowl combine flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in Crisco with a pastry cutter (or pulse in the food processor) until mixture is crumbly like the size of small peas. Toss the flour mixture with a fork while adding 1 tablespoon of the cold water at a time until mixture holds together. Gently press dough together and wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Also have a bowl of ice water ready. Cut an "X" at the end of each peach and place in boiling water for 1 minute, remove and plunge immediately into ice water to stop the cooking; peaches will easily peel. Slice peeled peaches and place in a large bowl along with sugar, flour, cinnamon and lemon juice. Gently stir mixture until combined and pour {{gwi:2049687}}, dot with small pieces of butter.

Roll the pastry dough out to fit over the baking dish and place it on top of the peach mixture pressing edges against the rim of the dish to seal. Cut vents in the pastry to allow steam to escape. Brush the pastry with the cream and sprinkle with additional granulated sugar. Place cobbler on a baking sheet to catch drippings that may spill over during baking. Bake 45 to 50 minutes until center is bubbly and the crust is golden and crisp. Cool to {{gwi:2049688}} if desired. {{gwi:2049689}}.

{{gwi:2049690}}

1 cup self-rising flour

(or 1 cup all-purpose flour + 1 teaspoon

baking powder + 1/4 teaspoon salt)

1 egg

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 large can sliced peaches with syrup

Dash sugar & cinnamon

2 tablespoons butter

Combine flour, egg and sugar. Stir in milk and add vanilla. Pour into a large, deep casserole dish (double recipe in a 9X13-inch). Add peaches along with syrup*. Do not stir. Dot with butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. {{gwi:2049691}}.

*If peaches are in season, peel and slice 5 medium and add 1/2 cup sugar. Allow to stand 30 minutes to draw juice from fruit.

Peach Crumble

2 (29 oz.) sliced peaches (drained)

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup flour

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/4 cup butter

Arrange peaches in greased shallow baking dish. Blend remaining ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over peaches. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Serve warm.

Comments (29)