SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boxersandkoi

What to do when it's just not working

boxersandkoi
16 years ago

With little experience to draw on, I'm not sure if my quilt can be "fixed".

I thought I was nearly finished with the top, and was so excited to finally be on the way to my first completed quilt.

I pieced 42 blocks, squared them, then added sashing to two sides of each block. This design is set on point. All looked very good. THEN...came the long sashing strips that would have completed the top.

Despite everything being painstakingly measured, cut, trimmed, squared, sewn with all the precision I can muster...IT"S NOT FITTING TOGETHER well enough. I've sewn the first three rows together. The blocks alignment row to row is off. It seems to start well enough, but by the end of the row I'm off.

I know it is not the size of the finished blocks. They were all squared up to the exact same size. The sashing is all equal as well....I guess that leaves my sewing somehow? I'm using a 1/4" foot and the seams appear to measure fine. I'm not sure what the problem is.

I honestly didn't know what to do. I walked away from it for a couple days so I didn't do something too drastic. But now I still I don't know how to assess what the problem is. Should I tear everything apart down to the blocks or what?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (13)