SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chery2

RECIPE: Buttermilk Sauce -- incredibly good!!

chery2
17 years ago

If you're a Paula Deen fan, you may have seen her recent show where she made a "Grandgirl" fresh apple cake with buttermilk sauce in a tube pan.

It's not apple season around here, and fresh apple cake recipes always have too much oil [Paula's had 1 1/2 cups]; she said, "so you KNOW it's going to be so good and moist."

But it IS zucchini season, so I made zucchini bread, subbing applesauce for oil, and adding pineapple and cocoanut and more cloves and cinnamon than called for, then adding nutmeg and ginger on my own. I used two whole eggs and one white, 1 cup of sugar and 12 packets of sweet/low instead of 2 c. sugar.

Needless to say, I had lotsa batter! I filled 8 mini-loaf pans [the attached kind] and one regular loaf pan. All of them rose above the rims and cracked on top, which I like.

They were really moist, but I wanted some sort of glaze anyway and remembered Paula's Buttermilk Sauce:

1 stick butter

1/2 c. buttermilk

1 c. sugar

1/2 t. baking soda

Put all in saucepan; heat to rolling boil; boil for 1 minute.

Paula says to pour over warm cake WHILE STILL IN PAN, which makes sense to me. I think she punched holes in the cake first, which also made sense, but wasn't mentioned in the recipe.

I've never heard of putting baking soda in a glaze, so I put a couple of dashes of salt instead.

What a surprise! I said to DH, "Come here and taste this!" Thinking it was going to be lemon, he said, "Mmmmm." But when the taste sank in, he said, "YUM!!"

It's thicker than glaze, tastes ever so much better than a powdered-sugar concoction, and I'll be using it on every cake/fruit bread I make for a long time!

cheryva

Comments (3)