SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthie51_gw

Living with a remodel you're not happy with

ruthie51
11 years ago

I often read posts on GW from people who are not happy with some aspect of their remodel. I lived with a backsplash for four years that I hated; the original installer had to return three times to fix mistakes, and the final result was subpar work. Not once did we have a guest over who commented on our pretty backsplash because it wasn't. I will admit that part of the problem was our error....the honed marble we selected was not a good color choice for our kitchen....but a lot of it was poor workmanship. So, we finally decided to replace the entire backsplash after four years of admiring my neighbors' backsplashes. The work started Monday and today (Wednesday) it just needs to be grouted, and I LOVE it! It's such a nice feeling to love the (almost) final result of a remodel. I'm curious to know how others have dealt with work they were not happy with...either because the work was substandard or they selected the wrong design (or both, as in my case). Did you just make the best of it or did you tear it out? I know some changes are easier made than others. In our case, all the sheetrock had to be removed and replaced (to the chagrin of our installer). I've posted a picture of our new backsplash, before grouting. It's a honed & filled Durango travertine, with glass and stone mosaic trim. And I do love it....finally!

This post was edited by ruthie51 on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 13:46

Comments (8)