SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
potpie_gw

LOOKING for: The 'right' sugar cookie for:

potpie
17 years ago

I am looking for the right sugar cookie recipe to make some 2inch high and some 4inch high Alphabet Cookies.

We are having a big family broo-ha-ha over the week of the fourth of July and I thought I would make cookies that spells out the names of all the kids and give them each a packet with their cookies/names. (For my neice who's name is Amy, compared to my one nephew who's name is Stephen, I thought I would add some stars and sunshine faces to make sure everyone got the same amount of cookies).

I tried making them this morning using two recipes. One was too brittle and the other seemed too doughy and blobby to me.

Isn't there a recipe using cream cheese in it that is supposed to be soft enough but not blobby?

The batches I made were small halved batches and maybe that is part of the problem for the way they turned out.

Maybe I should use gingerbread? But, I thought that the sugar cookie recipe would be liked by everyone and simple to decorate.

I did find two recipes on the net for a cream cheese recipe and I might try it tonight. I just thought a tried and true recipe from someone who knows what I mean would be better.

The problem is that my normal recipe does fine with big fat Christmas trees and bells, but it never did a nice job with candy canes, so I never made them. Now, I am going to have lots of "candy cane" shaped forms when I make letters.

I hope you can help!

Here are the recipes I found:

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

1 Cup Sugar

1 Cup Softened Butter

3 Oz Cream Cheese

1/2 Tsp Salt

1/2 Tsp Vanilla

1/2 Tsp Almond Extract

1 Egg Yolk (Reserve White)

2 1/4 Cups Flour

Blend all but flour. Stir in flour and blend well. Chill 2-3 hours. Roll out 1/3 at a time, 1/8 to 1/4" thick. Bake 7-10 minutes at 375F. Brush lightly with egg white and sprinkle with colored sugar if desired prior to baking or decorate with icing after cool.

OR

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups white sugar

1 cup butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

1 cup sour cream

5 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

2 tablespoons evaporated milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon salt

4 cups confectioners' sugar

Cream together 1 1/2 cups white sugar, butter or margarine, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and eggs. Add sour cream. Mix together 5 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually add to the egg-sugar mixture. Cover and chill dough for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Roll out on lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out cookies. Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet for 10 - 12 minutes. To Make Frosting: In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat together the softened cream cheese and evaporated milk until smooth. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/8 teaspoon salt and confectioners' sugar. Beat until well blended. Color as desired and frost cooled cookies.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH