SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danain

LOOKING for: Blueberries are here!

danain
18 years ago

...And I'm pretty happy about it. My absolute favorite way to eat blueberries is straight up and room temperature.

Most years I make {{gwi:2047887}}

and {{gwi:2047888}}

and {{gwi:2047889}}

and {{gwi:2047890}}

and {{gwi:2047891}}

Does anyone have something new to share? Or even a different blueberry cobbler?

Marilyn

Comments (49)

• roselin32
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Marilyn, your Blueberry Buckle looks mighty fine-would you share that recipe??
    TIA
    RL`

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    18 years ago

so does the cobbler! Can you please post that one, too? Thanks, Marilyn!

Carol

• Related Discussions

Heres what i got and what im looking for!

Q

Comments (5)
    I thought you might like to know there is no email link on your member page, thus no way to email you. To set up your email, just go to the bottom on any page here, and click on Member Pages Then click on Edit your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences You will then probably be asked to login in again. Then check the box Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site. That will place a link on your member page. While there editing, you may want to fill in your state abbreviation. It goes in the one box provided for the garden zone (and 'State".) Happy Gardening and trading. Sue
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Blueberry and blackberry jam

Q

Comments (3)
    Our family makes tons of jams every year using a foolproof basic recipe: 9 cups fruit (whole berries or cut up if using apricots, etc) 6 cups sugar juice of one lemon Place cut fruit, sugar and lemon juice into large deep pot. Stir. Allow to sit for 30 minutes or so until teh sugar has started to draw juice from the fruit (this ensures that the sugar doesn't burn when you first turn on the heat. Turn heat on low/med and stir, scraping bottom fairly often (I use a silicone spatula) until syrup forms and starts to boil. Simmer gently until it thickens and starts to set up (put saucer in freezer for a while. drop a half teaspoon of the liquid onto cold saucer, if it sets up and allows you to draw a finger through it - it is done). Ladle into clean jars and process in a water bath canner for 12 minutes. Remove and sit on counter with a dishcloth covering and let sit overnight. Test for seal. Note --- the jam when poured into the jars is like a thick syrup -- but very liquidy. If you boil until it looks like jam - once it is processed, you will have rubber! Better to err on loose jam (which is still delightful and can also be sued as ice cream/cake topping or on pancakes) then to over cook. Enjoy -- we have won many prizes with this simple recipe -- especially for our apricot jam!
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Your favorite blueberry muffin recipe

Q

Comments (11)
    This recipe is from King Arthur flour and it's the only one I use now. Blueberry Muffins 6 tablespoons butter 3/4 cup sugar 2 eggs 2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup milk 2 teaspoons vanilla 1 1/2 to 2 cups blueberries, either fresh or frozen, wild Maine berries preferred 1 tablespoon sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional) Preheat your oven to 375°F. Grease 12 muffin cups generously; a vegetable oil pan spray works well. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until they're light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in the milk and vanilla. mixing only until smooth. Quickly stir in the berries. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 to almost full, using all of the batter. Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Bake the muffins for 30 minutes, until they're light golden brown, remove them from the oven, and place the pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, run a knife around the edge of one muffin, and try to lift it out of the pan. (These muffins are very tender, and if they don't cool long enough, they'll crumble when you try to remove them from the pan.) If the muffin lifts out of the pan without crumbling, remove all of the muffins and cool them completely on a wire rack. If the muffin sticks or the top peels off, allow them to cool an additional 10 minutes, then try again. Yield: 12 muffins
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Just a question...Does anyone here own a juicer?

Q

Comments (16)
    I disagree about replacing a juicer with a vita mix. Vita mix is a great machine and has its use in the kitchen. But to use a vita mix instead of a juicer is defeating the purpose of juicing. A juicer is designed to extract the juice from the fibers of the plant, separating the pulp from the juice. The reason for this is so that the pure juice, which is full of live enzymes, will immediately enter the blood stream(using no energy for digestion) and nourish your cells. It is important to remember that the fiber needed for good health is recieved by EATING fresh fruits and vegetables. The pulp that is left behind while juicing has little nutritional value, it is hard to digest and it contains toxins that a chemically grown fruit or vegetable may have contained. Fruits and vegetable juices are natural cleansers and healers of our bodies. It is amazing. Here is a link to a website of a man who had colon cancer and by changing his diet and by juicing he has been healed of his cancer. Good luck in your new venture and may you be healthier and happier!! Here is a link that might be useful: hacres
    ...See More
  • HanArt
    18 years ago

I love Annie's Grandma's Blueberry Crisp!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2047892}}

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

I love about anything you can make with blueberries. Here's the recipe I grew up with, from the 1959 Farm Journal Country Cookbook. I make this every year several times when the fresh blueberries are around.

BLUEBERRY BETTY

4 C bread cubes (1/2")
    C melted butter
    ¼ C sugar
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    2 C fresh or frozen blueberries
    2 tabsp lemon juice
    ½ C brown sugar

Toss bread cubes with butter, sugar and cinnamon

Sprinkle berries with lemon juice and brown sugar. Alternate layers of bread cubes with fruit mixture, speading evenly in a 7½ X 12" baking dish.

Bake in at 350° 20 to 30 min. until bubbly. Makes 6 servings.

Nancy

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Annie's Grandmothers Blueberry Crisp is a favourite of ours too.

This is my favourite

Ann

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Blueberry Tart/Pie
    ==================
    4 cups fresh blueberries
    3/4 cup sugar
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    milk, sugar

pastry for double crust

Line pie plate with pastry.

Mix together blueberries, 3/4 cup sugar, flour and cinnamom (if using) and
    melted butter; pour into pie crust. Cover with pastry and cut a few slashes
    in top; or cut pastry into strips and prepare lattice top. Seal edges well
    and flute. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in 425°F
    oven for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 35o°F and bake about 40 minutes longer
    or until crust is golden.

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Blueberry Marmalade
    3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
    3 cups sugar
    2 limes
    1 lemon
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Peel limes and lemon, being careful to take only the coloured part of the peel, not the white. Slice the peel into strips. Put the peel into a small saucepan and cover with water. Boil for 15 minutes. Drain. Place the berries, sugar, juice of the limes and lemon, boiled peel and the ginger into a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture reaches the jelling stage. Ladle into sterilised jars and seal.

Blueberry Bread and Butter Pudding
    12 slices white bread, buttered, crusts removed
    400g blueberries
    2 cups milk
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    3/4 cup castor sugar
    3 tablespoons Cointreau
    1/2 cup orange marmalade
    cream or custard to serve

Arrange 4 slices of the bread, butter side down in a buttered ovenproof dish. Put half the blueberries on the bread, top with another 4 slices of bread and remaining blueberries. Cut remaining bread slices into 3 strips and arrange over blueberries. Whisk milk, juice, eggs, sugar, 1 tablespoon of the Cointreau, pour over bread and leave at room temperature for 1 hour. Heat marmalade with remaining Cointreau over medium heat until well combined. Brush over top of pudding. Place dish in a baking pan and half filled with water, bake at 180C for 50 minutes. Serve with the cream or custard.

Blueberry Pancakes
    1 cup wholemeal flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    pinch salt
    pinch bicarbonate of soda
    1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
    1/2 cup milk or soy milk
    1/2 cup blueberries

Combine dry ingredients, stir in the milk and blueberries. Add more milk if batter is too thick. Cook in a non-stick frypan until done.

Blueberry Tartlets
    2 cups blueberries
    2 tablespoons castor sugar
    1/3 cup orange juice
    1 tablespoon cornflour
    1 teaspoon grated orange rind
    250g cream cheese, softened to room temperature
    24 small baked pastry cases

Simmer berries with 1 tablespoon of the sugar and orange juice until plump and juicy. Stir in the cornflour, bring to the boil and stir over low heat until thickened. Cool, cover and refrigerate until required (will keep for up to 1 week). Beat remaining sugar and orange rind into the cream cheese. Spoon into pastry cases, and top with blueberry sauce.

Blueberry Tea Bread
    4 tablespoons butter, softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 eggs, separated
    2 teaspoons grated lemon rind or 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1 cup blueberries
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    1/2 cup sour cream

Cream butter. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, lemon rind and vanilla. Beat well. Mix 2 tablespoons of the flour with the blueberries, and toss to coat . Sift the rest of the flour with the baking powder, soda and salt. Add the flour to the batter, alternating with the sour-cream, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold 1 quarter of the whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining whites. Fold in blueberries and spoon batter into greased and floured pans. Sprinkle top of batter with about a teaspoon of sugar if desired. Bake a large loaf at 180C for 50-60 minutes, smaller loaves, 30-40 minutes, or until a knife or tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on a rack before removing from pans.

• danain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here you go Roselin:

Blueberry Buckle

3/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup shortening
    1 egg
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 cup butter

Preheat oven to 375°. Grease 8X8-inch baking dish or spray with Pam. Cream together 3/4 cup sugar, shortening and egg. In a separate bowl mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into sugar mixture alternating with milk. Toss berries with 1 tablespoon flour and fold into batter. Spread batter into pan. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, cinnamon and butter until crumbly; sprinkle over batter and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

Carol, here is the cobbler:

Easy Blueberry Cobbler

1 cup self-rising flour
    (or 1 cup all-purpose flour + 1 teaspoon
    baking powder + 1/4 teaspoon salt)
    1 egg
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups blueberries
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    Dash sugar & cinnamon
    2 tablespoons butter

Combine flour, egg and sugar. Stir in milk and add vanilla. Pour into a large, deep casserole dish. Stir together blueberries, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water until sugar is dissolved. Pour over batter in casserole dish; do not stir. Dot with butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes until top is crisp and golden.

Blueberry Betty sounds close to Davids {{gwi:2047894}}!

Daisy, Blueberry Tea Bread! Yum. I just might have to give that one a try!

Marilyn

• danain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HanArt, good idea on the blueberry crisp. I think I would have to alter my apple crisp recipe because I don't care for fruit crisp made with oats. I know, I know, many people love it that way. It's just not for me.

Marilyn

• roselin32
    18 years ago

Thanks a lot, Marilyn-that was why I asked for your recipe-no oats for me either.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

that was why I asked for your recipe-no oats for me either

Don't think I've ever heard of a blueberry buckle with oats.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Just remembered another wonderful blueberry treat ... Lori's Drenched Cranberry Cake ... made with blueberries instead. It's equally good with cranberries. Here's a pic of the later.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Hanart, I forgot about Lori's Cake. I made it once using rhubarb. It is soooo good. That sauce is good enough to eat on its own.

Ann

• danain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HanArt, that cake looks like it would be really good with blueberries...thank you.

Maybe alter one of these, Roselin:

Peach Crumble

2 (29 oz.) sliced peaches (drained)I like to use fresh in this
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/4 cup butter

Arrange peaches in greased shallow baking dish. Blend remaining ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over peaches. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Serve warm.

Apple Crisp

3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    5 tablespoons butter
    8 medium size cooking apples
    1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
    juice of 1/2 lemon

Heat oven to 375°. Combine sugar, flour and butter in a mixing bowl and mix well with fingers until crumbly; set aside. Peel, quarter and core apples into thin slices and place into a bowl. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice and stir well to mix. Spoon the slices into 9-inch square baking pan. Cover apples with the butter and sugar mixture spreading evenly. Bake 1 hour until topping is crisp

Marilyn

• woodie
    18 years ago

I'm not a blueberry fan but I am a dishahololic (or at least a wannabe dishaholic) and HanArt, I just love the dishes in your pictures!

• roselin32
    18 years ago

Thanks, Marilyn-I've always used the Apple Crisp recipe in my old Fannie Farmer Cookbook and it is one my husband doesn't want me to experiment with.(Funny guy!)Might try the Peach Crumble though as soon as our peaches are ready. Come to think of it, bet that would work with apricots too.
    I just don't care for fruit desserts with oats.
    Thanks.
    RL`

• HanArt
    18 years ago

woodie, not bad for TJ Maxx and Goodwill, hey? LOL

• woodie
    18 years ago

TJMaxx doesn't surprise me but Goodwill? Wow, I'll have to try that, there's one by my Mom and Dad! Oooooh, a new adventure in store!

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Woodie, I just bought a Cuisinart stick blender that looks like it is brand new for $3 at Goodwill. Take a couple of bucks and go shopping!!

Annie

• sharon_fl
    18 years ago

Here's one of my favorite..soooo good!

BLUEBERRY DELIGHT with Warm Butter Sauce & Ice Cream
    Grease & flour a 9x13 pan. Preheat oven to 400°
    2 Cups Bisquick
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    2/3 cup milk
    2 cups blueberries
    * Mix all together..folding in the blueberries at the end. Bake at 400° for 15-20 min. until done.
    *Vanilla Ice Cream
    *Butter Sauce
    In a saucepan:
    2 Cups sugar
    1 cup half & half
    * Mix & bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add:
    1 cup butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    Beat until blended. If you want it thicker..just mix a Tbs cornstarch w/water & add to the sauce to thicken.
    TO SERVE:
    Cut a square of the cake in half..crossways; add a ladle of ice cream, put the other cake half on top & add the warm butter sauce on top. Delish!

• lpinkmountain
    18 years ago

Clean 'em up, dust with sugar, chill.
    In an hour or so, serve with cream.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Laurie, that is how Moe likes them too.

Ann

• craftyrn
    18 years ago

Here's a easy one:
    Diane's Home Cookin 4.8 Chapter: Desserts

Blueberry Pudding Cake
    ======================
    2 Cups fresh or frozen blueberries
    1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 Teaspoon lemon juice
    1 Cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 Cup sugar
    1 Teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 Cup milk
    3 Tablespoons butter or margarine -- melted
    Topping:
    3/4 Cup sugar
    1 Tablespoon cornstarch
    1 Cup boiling water
    vanilla ice cream
    . Toss the blueberries with cinnamon and lemon juice; place in a greased
    8-inch square baking dish. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking
    powder; stir in milk and butter. Spoon over berries. Combine sugar and
    cornstarch; sprinkle over batter. Slowly pour boiling water over all. Bake
    at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until cake is golden and tests done.
    Cool a bit and serve warm with vanilla ice cream

• sapphires
    18 years ago

HanArt,
    I tried clicking on the link for Anne's Grandma's Blueberry Crisp but got "Not found" message. Would you post again? For some reason none of these links work for me. Thanks.

Sapphires

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Sapphires, Here is Annie's Grandma's recipe. It is really good.

Ann

Blueberry Crisp
    ================
    annie1992 (My Page) on Sun, May 25, 03 at 1:50

Cindy Mac, this is the only blueberry crisp recipe I've ever used, the one my grandmother used. It's not very sweet, which I like because I like the flavor of the berries better than the flavor of the sugar, LOL. It's really good warm with vanilla ice cream, but it's also good cold for breakfast (it's a FRUIT, Mom).
    Blueberry Crisp

3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, unsweetened
    2 tbls lemon juice
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1/3 cup butter, softened
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 375. Arrange berries in ungreased square baking dish (8 inch)
    and sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine remaining ingredients until crumbly.
    (I use a pastry blender, grandma used two knives). Crumble topping over
    berries and bake until topping is lightly browned and berries are hot, about
    30 minutes. Makes 4-6 servings.

I double this and it still comes out good. Plus blueberries are low in
    calories, have lots of fiber and no fat, contain antioxidants C, E and beta
    carotene and have been found to be as helpful in urinary tract health as
    cranberries. That's why I need ice cream with them, they are just too darned
    healthy. LOL

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Thanks Ann!

Sapphires, I moved the photo that's why the link didn't work.

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Thank you, Ann T, for posting that again. I just picked 15 pounds of blueberries after I got out of work today, and I'm making Grandma's Crisp tomorrow. I might go pick some more too, they are very, very nice this year.

Annie

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

This is a new one I tried recently & it went over very well. Rather old-fashioned since spice cakes seem kind of out of style now:
    BLUEBERRY BUTTERMILK SPICE CAKE
    2/3 cup butter
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 pint fresh blueberries
    3 tsp sugar

Cream butter & sugar & beat thoroughly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Sift together flour & next 5 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in blueberries. Smooth batter into a greased &: floured 13 cup Bundt pan. Sprinkle batter with 3 tsp sugar & bake in aprehated 350° oven for 40-50 minutes.~~

• annie1992
    18 years ago

I couldn't help myself, I picked 10 more pounds of berries this morning. :-)

My blueberry crisp just came out of the oven, my oldest daughter is pregnant and wanted some in the worst way, so what's a Mom to do? I've been eating them fresh all day, and Marilyn's Blueberry Buckle is next, I think.

Annie

• chase_gw
    18 years ago

Thanks to Dishesdone, this recipe just got posted over on the CF. I grew up with these wonderful treats and can't believe I now have a recipe for them. Hopefully they are as good as a recall.....a real treat!

Shtritzlach (Toronto Blueberry Buns)

For dough:
    1 package active dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water
    3 cups flour
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    3 tbsp. vegetable shortening
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

For filling:
    2 cups (1 pint) fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tbsp. corn starch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 beaten egg plus 1 tsp. water for egg wash
    Sugar for sprinkling

1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Let stand until mixture begins to bubble, about 5 minutes.

2. Sift together flour, sugar and salt. Place in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add shortening, yeast and water, eggs and vanilla and beat until dough is smooth. Let stand while preparing filling.

2. Mix filling ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.

3. On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Add flour whenever dough threatens to stick. Cut dough into pieces 5 inches square. Place 1 tbsp. of filling in center of square, then fold dough over on top and pinch to close. Pinch ends closed. Cover buns with a towel and let stand 30 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 375 F. Brush buns with egg wash and sprinkle tops with sugar. Bake until browned, about 16 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 8 buns.

• danain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sharon, that does sound good.

We picked blueberries last week end and Paul and I together picked 34 pounds! My garage freezer is pretty full.
    We just finished a blueberry smoothie made simply with vanilla yogurt and frozen berries. I add just enough water to blend it.

Marilyn

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Sharon, I made these this

. I use to go to the Open Bakery Window all the time when we lived in Toronto. They aren't as sweet as I thought they would be but they will go great with a cappuccino.

Ann

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Oh, yum. Those looking amazing. So many things to try...

Annie

• sheshebop
    18 years ago

I could not open the link for Drenched Berry Cake and I really thought it sounded good. Can someone help me please and post it?
    Sherry

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Sherry, here is LoriJean's Drenched Cranberry Cake. I made it using Rhubarb.

Ann

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

DRENCHED CRANBERRY CAKE
    ========================
    Lori's DRENCHED CRANBERRY CAKE

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
    3 Tblsp. vegetable shortening, melted
    2/3 cup milk
    1 egg
    2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries

Sauce:
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter a 9-inch round pan. Sift the flour, sugar, and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the shortening, milk, and egg. Beat for 2 minutes, or until smooth. Stir in the cranberries. Pour into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake for 1 hour, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack. While the cake is baking, make the sauce. Melt the butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water (I just put a small saucepan over an extremely low flame and dispensed with the double-boiler!) Add the sugar, cream, and vanilla bean. Stir to mix well. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean. Serve the cake with each individual slice generously with the warmed sauce. Serves 8.

Source: Very Cranberry , copyright 2003. Posted by Lori at the ths.com Cooking Exchange.

Servings: 4

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Sherry, that cake is awesome with blueberries or cranberries.

{{gwi:2047901}}

• sheshebop
    18 years ago

Thank you! It looks wonderful!

• HanArt
    18 years ago

We're finally getting Michigan blueberries in the stores. Louisiana's Rabbiteye aren't bad, but they just can't compare to their northern cousins on this one.

• annie1992
    18 years ago

HanArt, I just went and picked another bucket full, just for you. LOL I have got to make jam soon, but right now my canner is full of green beans.

I'm sitting here right now eating a piece of Marilyn's Blueberry Buckle and listening to the pressure canner. Warm with vanilla ice cream it's very good, and all by itself, it's still good.

Annie

• Tropical_Muse
    18 years ago

Marilyn, your Blueberry Cobbler looks delicious!!

Could you please give the measurements of the "large, deep casserole dish" you recommend?

Thank you so much.

~Meg (oven heated and ready to pour the batter...)

• danain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Meg, an 8-inch square pyrex dish is good or a corning medium size. It will work in just about anything.

Mar:)

• Tropical_Muse
    18 years ago

Wow! Thank you for the quick response Marilyn - I have both those pans and loads of fresh blueberries...
    I'm off to the kitchen!!

(I wasn't kidding when I said I was ready to pour!)

~Meg

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    18 years ago

Well you all are just too inspiring. Made Blueberry Sour Cream cake today. Kids won't touch it, though. What do they know.

Got this recipe from gingerich.com. Didn't flour the blueberries and didn't use nuts. Next time.

Blueberry Sour Cream Cake
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup fresh Gingerich Farms blueberries rinsed, drained and floured
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup Oregon hazelnuts, chopped
    1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Stir in sour cream. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth and well blended. Fold in blueberries. Spread half of the batter into a greased 9x13x2 baking pan. In a bowl mix brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture evenly over top of batter in pan. Spread remaining batter over top. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in pan and then cut into squares to serve. Serve sprinkled with confectioners' sugar.

• readinglady
    18 years ago

Hi, I came over from Harvest and, as usual, found another must-save thread. If you're interested in preserving, follow Annie's advice and check the Harvest Forum for several Blueberry Preserve and Blueberry Marmalade recipes.

These are some of my T&T's for blueberries.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Best-Ever Blueberry-Lemon Muffins (with Variations)

Serving Size : 12 muffins

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 3/4 cups flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 egg -- well-beaten
    3/4 cup milk
    1/3 cup oil
    3/4 cup blueberries -- (can be up to 1 cup)
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    melted butter and sugar for topping

Stir together thoroughly the first three ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Make a well in the center.

Combine fresh or frozen (thaw only enough to separate, if necessary) with sugar and lemon peel.

Combine egg, milk and oil. Add all at once to dry mixture. Stir just until moistened.

Fold sugared blueberries into batter.

Fill well-greased pans or paper baking cup-lined tins about 2/3 full. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes (check at 18 minutes).

While warm, dip tops into melted butter and then in sugar.

Variations:

Banana-Nut: Prepare as above except in lieu of blueberries stir in 1 cup chopped bananas and 1/4 cup toasted nuts. Bake 25-30 minutes.

Cranberry: Prepare as above except in lieu of blueberries combine 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped and tossed with 1/4 cup sugar. Bake as directed.

Date-Orange-Nut muffins: Prepare as above. Delete blueberry mixture. Substitute 3/4 cup orange juice for the milk. Gently stir (fold) 1/2 cup finely chopped dates, 1/2 cup chopped toasted nuts and 1 tablespoon grated orange peel into the batter. Bake as directed.

Blueberry Tea Muffins

Serving Size : 12 muffins

1 cup superfine sugar
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup milk
    1 egg
    1 1/3 cups flour -- divided
    3/4 teaspoon cInnamon -- (I reduce to 1/2 teaspoon for Penzey's Vietnamese.)
    3/4 teaspoon nutmeg -- (I reduce this to 1/2 tespoon also, using fresh-grated.)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries -- (Can be up to 1 cup)

Preheat oven to 375° degrees. Prepare muffin tins by greasing or used paper bake cups.

In medium bowl cream sugar and butter or margarine on low speed until smooth. Add vanilla, milk and egg.

Mix together 2/3 cup flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Gently toss remaining 2/3 cup flour with blueberries.

Blend spiced flour mixture with batter until thoroughly mixed. Gently mix in remaining flour and blueberries. Do not over-stir.

Fill tins 3/4 full. Bake 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot.

Note: Reduce baking time for miniature muffins.

Description:
    "I bake these in miniature muffin cups instead of the regular ones to serve with tea."

Jackson Lake Lodge Blueberry Pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 cups milk
    1 egg -- beaten
    1/4 cup light-flavored oil
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/8 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Combine flours, baking powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix well.

Stir in milk, egg, oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Do not overmix.

Gently fold in blueberries.

Preheat griddle; grease lightly. Stir through batter several times. Using about 1/4 cup batter for each, cook pancakes until done, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Note: Original recipe called for 4 teaspoons baking powder.

Yield:
    "20 pancakes"

Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake from Oil of Joy

2 cups granulated sugar
    3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    4 large eggs
    3 cups all-purpose flour -- divided
    2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon lemon juice

Glaze frosting
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    4 teaspoons lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350°.

Beat first 2 ingredients at medium speed with a mixer until well-blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 tablespoons flour and blueberries in a small bowl and toss well. Combine remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with sour cream.

Fold in blueberry mixture, lemon juice and vanilla; pour cake batter into a 10-inch bundt pan sprayed with a coating of OIL OF JOY Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool cake in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and drizzle over warm cake.

Description:
    "This comes from Oil of Joy Olive Oil recipe collection."
    Yield:
    "16 servings"

Notes: Next time I think I'm going to boost the flavor by adding lemon zest or perhaps use a bit of lemon oil. I made a glaze using 1 cup powdered sugar which I poured on while the cake was still in the pan, rested it 10 minutes and then unmolded.

If you don't like oats in your crisp topping here's a Crisp or Cobbler topping I just ran across the other day. It's sufficient for an 8-cup berry recipe.

Coconut-Pecan Topping:

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed (1 stick)
    1 egg

Combine flour, coconut, sugar, pecans, baking powder and salt in a second bowl. Using your fingertips, knead in the butter until incorporated. Mixture should look like coarse sand. Blend in the egg, then arrange topping over berries in clumps, covering them gently.

Happy baking!

Carol

• tlsullivanct
    18 years ago

Blueberry Sour-Cream Pie

So e-e-e-e-easy and OH so good ... It is important to refrigerate it for at least 4 hour or even better, overnight.

Sour Cream-Blueberry Pie

Prep: 25 minutes
    Bake: 40 minutes
    Chill: 4 hours or overnight

Pie Ingredients:
    1 egg
    1 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream
    ¾ cup sugar
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    2-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
    1 recipe Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie (deep-dish works best)

Topping Ingredients:
    ¼ cup all-purpose flour
    ¼ cup butter, softened
    ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. For filling, in a large mixing bowl, beat egg; stir in sour cream, sugar, the 2 tablespoons flour, vanilla and salt. Fold in blueberries. Pour into unbaked pastry shell.
    Bake pie in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, for topping, in a small mixing bowl, stir together the ¼ cup four, the butter and nuts. Remove pie from oven and pinch off small bits of the flour mixture; sprinkle on top of the pie. Bake for 15 minutes more. Cool on wire rack. Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving. Makes 8 servings

Comments: For more topping, double or triple the topping ingredients. I find the recipe topping sort of skimpy.

Courtesy: Better Homes and Gardens All-Time Favorites "Potluck Crowd Pleasers"

• debbie814
    18 years ago

Just picked some beautiful blueberries, so I must make blueberry buckle. I use a historical and classic American recipe, dating to the first settlers. It's almost identical to Marilyn's.

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    18 years ago

OK, adding my little contribution - AnnT asked me for the recipe (I am not worthy! I am not worthy!).

When I was staying at SheShebops's house, she had made Blueberry-Lemon muffins that were right up my alley - not too cakey because of the cornmeal. Here it is...from Cooking Light. Thanks SheShebop!

If you're using frozen blueberries, there's no need to thaw them before adding to the batter. In fact, they work best when still frozen.

1 1/2 Cups AP Flour
    1/2 Cup yellow cornmeal
    1/2 Cup sugar
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt

1 cup blueberries

1 Cup buttermilk
    3 Tbsp melted butter/margarine
    1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
    1 large egg, lightly beaten

Cooking spray, 1 Tbsp sugar

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2. Light spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine flour and next five ingredients (flour through salt) in a medium bowl. Stir in blueberries; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, butter, rind, and egg, stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stir just until moist.

3. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray, sprinkle evenly with 1 Tbsp sugar. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the muffins from pans immediately, place on a wire rack to cool.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Jessica, thanks for posting the recipe. Can't wait to try these. I'll pick up some blueberries at the farmers market tomorrow.

Ann

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Blueberry season in south Louisiana starts with Louisiana berries in late May, followed by Michigan, then Canadian. We don't get them from anywhere else.

Last year I thought Canada's were the best, this year Michigan won hands down!!!

• annie1992
    18 years ago

HanArt, this WAS a great year for Michigan berries, they were big, sweet, abundant. I put a lot of them in the freezer for pancakes, scones, muffins.....

Annie

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022