SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nccmama_gw

new appliance color advice

nccmama
14 years ago

I went appliance shopping today and was shocked to see almost nothing but stainless steel. I commented this to the salesperson, and he said that in his store, which is in a more upscale area of town, they pretty much only sell stainless steel, or sometimes black, but the only people that ever buy white are for rentals. I don't consider myself to be particularly "trendy", and I firmly believe that you should surround yourself with the things that you love, regardless of what others think. But, the problem is that I don't especially love any certain appliance color. I don't dream of stainless or black or white or any color. So, I'm in a dillema as to what color to go with. My current appliances are basic builders-grade white. I need a new fridge, dishwasher, and over the range microwave, so this would seem to be a good time to change colors, if that is what I want to do. My stove/oven is a counter top gas stove (white with grey burners), and the oven is a built in directly below (also white), so that does give me a bit of a problem. I don't want to replace these now, since they work fine. But, I thought that I could probably replace the grey burner grates with black to tie it in a little better.

My kitchen decor is dark sagey green walls, tan tile floor, light maple cabinets, greyish formica counter tops (someday would LOVE to change it out for stone), kitchen table is black legs/wood top, black wrought iron chairs, black painted hutch near table, white porceline sink w/ oil rubbed bronze faucet, oil rubbed bronze door knobs and cabinet knobs, and light fixtures. But, the trim in the whole house is white enamel, including a prominent door to the pantry in the corner of the kitchen.

So, does anyone have any guidance besides to just pick whatever color most suits my fancy and not care if I'm in style or not? I know that many people just love stainless steel, but I don't think that it would go here because of all the oil rubbed bronze. I prefer the look of old iron to sleek, modern stainless. So, that pretty much leaves my with white or black. Any thoughts? Is black just as trendy as stainless steel? Is white really timeless, or for the area I'm in, would it just scream either, "original builder model" or "rental property"? Help!

Comments (20)