SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

One of the major benefits of retirement is that ...

joyfulguy
15 years ago

... every day becomes weekend.

And - there are a host of things to do to keep one busy ... things that one chooses for one's self!!

Another benefit that quite a numbr of retirees may enjoy ... good health.

I have some arthritis in small finger, left hand, that sometimes means that I hit "shift" and "a" together, putting an "A" in the wrong place. Most of the time I repair it ... sometimes I just let it go.

Such a difficulty, or a bit of arthritis in index finger of right hand, that may cause a bit of discomfort when I'm cutting something with a knife, etc. is ...

... MINOR!!!

Many retirees have much less high level of health, unfortunately.

Some of them have bodies (even minds?? spirits?) that are partly broken down as a result of earlier lifestyles that they chose ... for many, it's just the luck, or lack of it, of the draw.

For those of you who are in your mid years ... I hope that you make preparations now for retirement largely financed by yourself. And ask some of the folks in their fifties now who are being "downsized" out the door in favour of some lower-priced recent grads how nice that feels.

It used to be, when there were more pensions around, that folks didn't live through many years after retirement.

In recent years, many chose (whether voluntarily or not) to retire earlier than in earlier generations, and have been living longer.

If you earn for 40 years and retire for 5 or 10 ...

... big difference from earning for 30 years and retiring for 30! Or even 25 ... or 20.

And, possibly encouraged by TV and other advertising (plus our own inclinations) to live it up (i.e. buy their stuff ... NOW!), we don't give high priority to preparing for retirement.

Plus - the boomers are soon to be retiring in large numbers ... and there are fewer people to be continuing in the workforce ... to pay into those pension programs from which the boomers'll be making major withdrawals.

Make the bed now ... that you'll be lying in ... later!

Sorry that this message has turned into something of a downer.

But - better to plan now ... and prepare ... for safety later ... than to end up ... sorry!

Right?

Have a great weekend, everyone.

ole joyful

P.S. Oh, yes ... and when you're planning for funding your retirement ... don't forget the annual erosion of your assets by inflation,especially if you are inclined to invest where your money's "safe": if you have a guarantee the the number of your dollars can't shrink ... in almost all cases, it can't grow, either.

o j

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert